DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller Cage feature

flyNfrank

Reactions
Those of you with the 4.0.4 ios and 4.0.3 android GO4 app has probably seen the new Propeller Cage feature by now. I have a theory that when enabled, the feature very well might add additional performance of some kind. Anyone that has ever flown with prop guards installed, and when there's been even somewhat strong wind knows it's a struggle. So taking that into consideration, it would be a major struggle if some Propeller Cages were installed.

I had planned to test today and see if my theory was right or not. But for 2 days now we are having nasty weather with 30-45mph wind gust making it just too windy to fly. I will look over logged flight data found on the .txt file.

If anyone gets a chance tonight to enable their Propeller Cage feature before flying, and zip the .txt file and upload here I will look it over and see if we have a benefit to use.

Those of you with the 4.0.4 ios and 4.0.3 android GO4 app has probably seen the new Propeller Cage feature by now. I have a theory that when enabled, the feature very well might add additional performance of some kind. Anyone that has ever flown with prop guards installed, and when there's been even somewhat strong wind knows it's a struggle. So taking that into consideration, it would be a major struggle if some Propeller Cages were installed.

I had planned to test today and see if my theory was right or not. But for 2 days now we are having nasty weather with 30-45mph wind gust making it just too windy to fly. I will look over logged flight data found on the .txt file.

If anyone gets a chance tonight to enable their Propeller Cage feature before flying, and zip the .txt file and upload here I will look it over and see if we have a benefit to use.

I know if you enable the prop guard feature without prop guards, the mavic does violent wobbles in the air.
And please be aware.. There are 2 types of guards: 3d printed prop guards and the official DJI prop cage like below.
Mavic - Propeller Cage | DJI Store
There is mention that you will lose flight times AND you need special props.

I'm guessing but I think it simply adjusts the field of view of the forward looking obstacle cameras so they ignore them if in view. Sounds like stability tuning also. Nothing more.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

I know if you enable the prop guard feature without prop guards, the mavic does violent wobbles in the air.
And please be aware.. There are 2 types of guards: 3d printed prop guards and the official DJI prop cage like below.
Mavic - Propeller Cage | DJI Store
There is mention that you will lose flight times AND you need special props.

Before posting this thread I enabled the Propeller Cage in the GO4 app and looked through the various settings such as in the Expo. I found no changes in any other areas. When you mentioned the Mavic doing violent wobbling, the only area that would let that happen is in the Gain setting. I don't doubt what you are saying, and I will most likely abort this project altogether. I thought maybe enabling the Propeller Cage feature would possibly allow the a/c to pitch further in flight, or remain pitched longer. That data and the horizontal speed would have been the areas I would have focused on to begin with. But, if the aircraft functions in a unsafe manner with it enabled, then it wont be worth going forward. Before I pull the plug completely, I would look all data over in depth.

I heard that this setting is only for the DJI prop cages (not guards) because the props in the prop cages are smaller than the standard props. I am no expert, but I'm pretty sure that changes the overall flight characteristics of the mavic considerably (just think about a hover with smaller props at the same rpms as the larger ones). I don't think the setting will work for just the guards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike