DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propeller guards question?

volition

Reactions
the Prop guards I ordered arrived and I went outside just to test them. I got them just for those certain situations where they could come in handy. But today I just wanted to feel what the craft felt like with them on.

I started in Normal mode and even in a decent wind it didn't perform too different to usual. They definitely change the flying but it seems the performance seems about the same if that makes sense.

Now out of interest I wanted to see what happened in sports mode. It seems like the MA2 detects when they have on prop guards because it did not fly as if it was in sports mode basically the same as normal mode.

What's the go? I remember spotting in a forum about the drones perhaps detecting loads, etc and changing it's parameters perhaps. What's the understanding on what is happening here?

DJI Fly has a payload setting for the Mavic Mini, but it doesn't for the MA2

It's probably just the drag and weight from the cages changing the flight characteristics

Reactions: TreeHugger
My rookie opinion -
I have some as well - the drone knows they are there and limit you to lower performance because of it.
Quick searching found some talk HERE
Note that I don't fly the same drone - YMMV

My rookie opinion -
I have some as well - the drone knows they are there and limit you to lower performance because of it.
Quick searching found some talk HERE
Note that I don't fly the same drone - YMMV

Thanks, Good find! yes, definitely a performance limitation with prop guards in the sport mode.

My thinking is, if I need Prop Guards I probably don't need sports mode.

Thanks, Good find! yes, definitely a performance limitation with prop guards in the sport mode.

My thinking is, if I need Prop Guards I probably don't need sports mode.
That became my thought as well - I haven't used them but 2x.

DJI Fly has a payload setting for the Mavic Mini, but it doesn't for the MA2

It's probably just the drag and weight from the cages changing the flight characteristics

I’m not sure about that. By your theory no matter the drag & weight changing modes would change performance accordingly. But I went back & forth between normal & sports and the performance was identical from my anecdotal experience. I’m pretty confident there is some kind of throttling back in sports going on.

if you or anybody else has the guards would love some more people verifying the experience.

for all I know you may be right too. I suppose I could record it and check the speeds as a bit of empirical evidence.

for me once the payload mode is autodetected with the guards on I felt the performance drop straight away. Top speeds and max tilts all reduce in normal mode....Dont you get the same?

Reactions: anindyanuri
for me once the payload mode is autodetected with the guards on I felt the performance drop straight away. Top speeds and max tilts all reduce in normal mode....Dont you get the same?
I’ll do some screen recordings tomorrow and get to the Bottom of it. it could definitely effect normal mode too as it did seem to fly differently but that too just could be perception of the craft being seemingly bigger. Overall the performance seemed comparable to usual flight, It doesn’t seem all that different performance wise to me, ground covered, climbing rates, etc. But because you have to land and remove you don’t get that back to back experience.

Reactions: anindyanuri
I’ve received a message notifying me that propellers guards are in place, which I assumed meant the performance was being reduced. I was practicing FPV flying around a swing set, needed a little extra protection.

I think Prop guards are a must to have. I felt from my experience that birds tend to find my drone as their rival from 20 feet to 100 feet altitude. Lots of pigeon and crows comes in teams in this altitude in my area. I think my done is like a terrorist in their kingdom. Prop guards are the must to protect them from severe wounds as well as to protect my drone too.

Reactions: MA2 317
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78