DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Propellers

Happyexpat

Reactions
There can be no doubt that the Mavic Air, although superb IMO is noisier than the Pro, actually more than most drones. I have seen adverts for third party carbon fibre props which claim to increase battery life, capability of flying in wind and reduce noise by up to 40%. Has anybody tried these third party props and is there any advice or opinions.

Reactions: Mr. Salty
2 things that I never buy after market are props and batteries.

If they can claim that they reduce noise by 40%, I would love to see someone test them.

If you crash using after market props, it will void your warranty.

Reactions: dirkclod
... carbon fibre props which claim to increase battery life, capability of flying in wind and reduce noise by up to 40%. Has anybody tried these third party props and is there any advice or opinions.
I have read some posts about carbon props causing radio interference. Also, a 40% noise drop is quite a claim. I would like to see some tests to back that up.

Personally, I would only buy OEM props.

I'd be pretty surprised if carbon props had any impact on the radio reception. But I would also be surprised if they cut the noise appreciably. Most of the apparent increase in noise for the Air is due to the higher speed of the motors.

Reactions: Former Member
I see everyone’s point on the matter. However, we also cannot forget about the Frequency generated by these smaller, faster rotating props. The perceived sound may be louder to some than to others.

Maybe with the next version Air2, we will see some of the tech that the MP Platinum has; the sinusoidal driver.
Either way, love my MA and once above around 120ish feet the sound disappears.
Besides, who buys drones simply due to the sound?

The human ear is more sensitive to high pitch sounds, but it doesn't mean it's a louder sound. I think if you measure the db of the Air vs Pro they'll be similar.

The human ear is more sensitive to high pitch sounds, but it doesn't mean it's a louder sound. I think if you measure the db of the Air vs Pro they'll be similar.

Absolutely correct. Each person perceives the frequency emitted differently. Thus the reason my wife yells at me all the time lol.

As far as the Air vs Pro vs Platinum, MA and MP are almost the same dB with 99dB & 98dB respectively; +/- 2dB from my own recordings. The MP Platinum measured in at 93dB. An impressive difference amungst these three siblings.
I will say the Air “sounds” louder but it really isn’t. Just the harmonica fooling us. But do we really want to tell people who complain that it’s not loud it’s just a different frequency? Kind of being a turd at that point haha.

Phantom = Suitcase.
Mavic Air = Shaving kit

I think you will see a newer model Mavic before you see a newer model Phantom.

I couldn’t wait any longer for the Pro2 so the Air is was. Not regretting it either. Just different and refreshing.
I live in Fort Myers, FL., and we were 1 of 10 cities chosen for the FAA to test their Drone Program. Once everyone jumps on the bandwagon and realize the fun in flying the people complaining about a little noise will be in for a rude awakening.
It’ll have its drawbacks too but mostly I see positive things coming from it.

The noise doesn't bother me, but I can see it might bug others. Might be some benefit from other props, but I doubt you'd see much change. Given the amount of chatter about it, they may put effort into making future versions quieter.

Having been flying helis, planes and drones from the Flamewheel onwards including self builds I have to say I was dubious about the noise reduction claims and actually the power saving etc. In my experience CF props tend to be heavier and more easily damaged. As there is so much good experience in this group I thought I would ask anyway.

Many thanks for confirming my instincts!

If DJI would have designed the mavic pro and air for speeding and aerobatics they definitely would have added CF props. However, since they both are purely meant as cinematic camera platform there's no point. CF props are unforgiving, they will send vibrations through the frame with the slightest of unbalance or air turbulence. The soft props are a lot more flexible and work as a shock absorber, just like tyres on a car do. So they help make the drone a more stabile platform for the camera.

If you want to do flips and high speed turns and breaks, CF's are for you. However, your mavic will pay the price for that even sooner than with soft props.

Reactions: seabeagan
If DJI would have designed the mavic pro and air for speeding and aerobatics they definitely would have added CF props. However, since they both are purely meant as cinematic camera platform there's no point. CF props are unforgiving, they will send vibrations through the frame with the slightest of unbalance or air turbulence. The soft props are a lot more flexible and work as a shock absorber, just like tyres on a car do. So they help make the drone a more stabile platform for the camera.

If you want to do flips and high speed turns and breaks, CF's are for you. However, your mavic will pay the price for that even sooner than with soft props.

I completely agree with you. Having flown a number of drones from the original 4 rotor, the flamewheeel, my own builds and now the Mavic Air it is obvious that it’s horses for courses. I limit tricks and stunts to my racing drone.....and the rebuilds LOL

I bought the 8331 props about 3 weeks ago & tried them. I would say they reduce the noise by about 1 decibel - Not worth the $12 I paid. They are about 1/4" longer than stock & they feel really 'flimsy' too! Does anyone know if they are more or less efficient?

Ok! I am editing my first post. I used a phone app which reads sounds in decibels to compare the props and decided the noise was reduced by about 5 decibels & the frequency of the sound seemed better also.

Last edited:
I bought the 8331 props about 3 weeks ago & tried them. I would say they reduce the noise by about 1 decibel - Not worth the $12 I paid. They are about 1/4" longer than stock & they feel really 'flimsy' too! Does anyone know if they are more or less efficient?
A lot more efficient on the MP. I had them and they made a big difference. Looking for same design prop for the MA to come to the market!

Carbon fiber props will increase flight time by 500%, make the Mavic almost noiseless and increase speed by 200%.

It's been shown the CF props make no difference. Save your money, and save your drone by not buying some prop from an unknown source.

Reactions: seabeagan
Carbon fiber props will increase flight time by 500%, make the Mavic almost noiseless and increase speed by 200%.

It's been shown the CF props make no difference. Save your money, and save your drone by not buying some prop from an unknown source.

Is this true? Which ones? Do you have a direct link ? Many thanks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661