DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pros and Cons of using Litchi!

My experience as well, makes me wonder if this whole “warranty issue” is an urban legend...

To answer the original question:
Pros:
• Different options not available in Go 4
• Another way to fly if Go 4 has problems
• Only ~$25

Cons:
• Allows you to program a waypoint mission that will require a longer flight than your battery can provide
• Allows you to program a waypoint mission that will take the Mavic out of connection range of the RC

The two Cons listed above are not the fault of the Litchi program, since both are variable and may be condition specific, but they can be problematic. There have been a few postings about Mavics flying away on a mission and not returning. Waypoints is the only feature of Litchi that I have used and it worked well. I will defer to others regarding any other cons of Litchi.

With the exception of another program to learn, I don't see a problem with having a second way to fly your Mavic. As with any control software, you need to spend the time to learn it.

It is stated in their refresh warranty material... I seem to recall it was 13th point, having to do with 3rd party apps. Regardless, I almost exclusively use Litchi. If DJI made a waypoint app that you could program on the computer, I'd be all over it.

I had a crash using Litchi - pilot error in waypoint mission getting too close to trees - and used the replace option in Care Refresh. The replacement was sent the same day they received my wreck. There were no questions about how the crash happened.

Great! Do you know if they reviewed your flight logs?

Great! Do you know if they reviewed your flight logs?
I honestly don't know what they may have reviewed. I only know that the replacement was sent the same day the wreck was received. I was never asked how the accident happened.

Either way, using Litchi did not cause a Go 4 replacement issue in my case. Upon writing this, I realize that Go 4 is insurance coverage that I paid for, not warranty coverage that comes standard with the Mavic. I can imagine that if I did not have Go 4 and was claiming a warranty repair they would look rather deeply into the logs.

One disturbing thing, I have looked all over the Litchi web page and have found no mention of how it may affect warranty coverage. On the other hand, the Litchi app gets registered with DJI servers when you first run it so it would seem that they are connected, making it a "less than" 3rd party app.

Cons:
• Allows you to program a waypoint mission that will require a longer flight than your battery can provide

Technically, your Mavic should RTH when presented with a low battery warning (enough battery to RTH), even if there's more of your mission to go. I don't rely on it but as with flying with DJI Go 4, the same calculation is made (and you can ignore it at your own peril). On Mission Hub, Litchi does calculate the total time for the waypoint mission, so if you are paying attention, you shouldn't be planning a mission out of your battery's range. Just don't forget to take the wind into account!

• Allows you to program a waypoint mission that will take the Mavic out of connection range of the RC

I consider this to be one of Litchi's biggest "pro"s, not a con.

Last edited:
Reactions: ksmusa
... if you are paying attention, you shouldn't be planning a mission out of your battery's range. Just don't forget to take the wind into account!..
This is where people get into trouble. Low battery RTH does not take wind into account.

Regarding lost RC connection, it is a pro if it works. Personally, I do not like trusting my bird to technology so I try to keep it in VLOS.

This is where people get into trouble. Low battery RTH does not take wind into account.

Agreed. But that's equally true of flying with DJI Go 4. It's nothing inherently wrong with Litchi. It's like saying a "con" of using Litchi is that in FPV mode, it will allow you to fly sideways into a tree without warning you.

An example of Litchi missions I shot this weekend. Not to fancy but shows how it will fly the exact same mission each time - except for the wind factor that will affect the speed slightly. You can program multiple points of interest and different altitudes very easily either through the online mission hub, or, as has been mentioned, through Google Earth.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7