DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Protective Filter?

By-tor

Reactions
I use B+W clear filters on my Voigtlander, Zeiss and Leica lenses just to protect the front element.

What would be a good filter to protect the camera lens on the Mini 3 that would not degrade image quality much if at all?

Thank you
Mark

I agree, using a UV filter is great for protection, and in some cases it can make shots pop a little.

I'd definitely make sure it is a MC variety though, the multi coatings (like a camera filter) reduce glare on both sides.
They also are a hard coating to prevent scratching, and the coating also 'sheds', water, dust etc, easy to keep clean.

It's not stated if the Freewell filter for the Mini 3 is coated . . . there seems to be reflections visible in the photos I saw in a Google search.

Here is a google search for > mc uv filter mini 3 pro < . . . ( < link).

There are links here to various results, some links (particularly an Amazon link for me) show MC UV filters from Neewer, K&F Concepts, Sunnylife, and probably others.

Reactions: By-tor
My only concern is the weight of the filter. I seen a couple that listed the weight. My Mini 3 Pro weights 247g

That page mentions the benefits of multi coating, so should be the nano hard coating like most quality filters use.
They actually should mention multi coated in their marketing, or just simply put MC in the filter name (MC-UV), that is pretty well known by most photography circles to define the process.

The Mini 3 Pro comes with a "no filter frame" that you remove to attach a filter. The Freewell filters I have actually weigh less than the original frame.
That's so funny. I thought there was a filter in there. I went back to check and of course...it's just a hole. I do have a set of freewell and I pretty much always have a minor ND filter on it. During the winter with all the bright snow I keep an ND 32 on it and now as things are beginning to thaw (40F yesterday!) I'll be moving away from those big numbers.

The stock cover is more of a lens hood..

I see freewell sells a couple of small sets. The Freewell All-Day Lens Filter Bundle for DJI Mini 3 Pro (6-Pack) and Freewell Bright Day Lens Filter Bundle for DJI Mini 3 Pro (6-Pack).

The later are CPL/ND filters.

I live on the coast and have started flying over water. Would the CPL/NDs be a better choice?

Thank you

CPL/ND are definitely useful when flying over water.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucian