DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Protesters down drone with laser pointer??

I saw a $200 3500mW handheld laser pointer sold by wicked lasers being demonstrated at a physics program (we all had goggles on!). They are not legal in many countries, however many people do have them and they are capable of instantly damaging eyes and could burn out Camera sensors as well. These are not toys and should never have been packaged to look like them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rich_fpv
I saw a $200 3500mW handheld laser pointer sold by wicked lasers being demonstrated at a physics program (we all had goggles on!). They are not legal in many countries, however many people do have them and they are capable of instantly damaging eyes and could burn out Camera sensors as well. These are not toys and should never have been packaged to look like them.
These are monstrously dangerous, and that company is a hazard. I could never believe they sell these with protective glasses as an OPTIONAL accessory!! At 3500mw just the reflection on a brick wall could damage your eyes.

Reactions: sar104 and AMann
These are monstrously dangerous, and that company is a hazard. I could never believe they sell these with protective glasses as an OPTIONAL accessory!! At 3500mw just the reflection on a brick wall could damage your eyes.
Ken Heron has a video (
) in which he shows a 2 Watt laser (at about 5:05) that he says will burn a hole in a metal beer can. Can’t be good for a drone.

Ken Heron has a video (
) in which he shows a 2 Watt laser (at about 5:05) that he says will burn a hole in a metal beer can. Can’t be good for a drone.
Knew he’d do something o_Olike that... :rolleyes:

Can’t be good for his eyes without proper ?‘s on either.

Ken Heron has a video in which he shows a 2 Watt laser (at about 5:05) that he says will burn a hole in a metal beer can. Can’t be good for a drone.

The beam divergence is large on these kinds of lasers, and so even at that power you would need to be very close to the target to get enough thermal flux to cause any damage.

Turning off the downward sensors, which can be allocated to the buttons under the controller would have made it immune.
It can't be heating up inside the case with propwash blasting over it - microwave energy might do that.
I'm wondering if something threadlike was thrown at it when it became an illuminated target.

I believe this to be the more likely scenario. The beam divergence, unsteady aim, distance to target, and unsteady target all conspire to prevent any physical effect on the craft itself. I could see it possibly damaging image sensors, but that shouldn't cause it to crash. And I don't see how sensor damage would force a descent unless the failure caused an obstacle strike.

I'm wondering if I some minor retina scars from messing with a CD/DVD writer and fiber optic GBICs. If so, it's in peripheral vision.

I'm wondering if I some minor retina scars from messing with a CD/DVD writer and fiber optic GBICs. If so, it's in peripheral vision.
I did that too... took apart a CD burner and fired it up - dang thing got hot!

I believe this to be the more likely scenario. The beam divergence, unsteady aim, distance to target, and unsteady target all conspire to prevent any physical effect on the craft itself. I could see it possibly damaging image sensors, but that shouldn't cause it to crash. And I don't see how sensor damage would force a descent unless the failure caused an obstacle strike.

What would happen to a drone with multiple OA sensors, if the multiple beams were registering as obstacles on all sides simultaneously?

Gents, please ensure that no laser comes into contact with your drones sensors. The internal components (especially the camera) are very prone to damage. I once accidentally put a permanent scar across a camera from a stray laser reflection at only 100mw (10ft). Handheld laser pointers can exceed 2w easily and will certainly cause physical damage to sensors and camera components.
I'm a professional photographer and I have been unfortunate enough to get my camera sensor hit by one of those lasers. The result was a whole row of pixels burned.
Given the huge size difference between a DSLR/mirrorless and a drone camera sensor, I think the damage could be much greater. Being aloft and blind would severely impair the ability of the pilot to further control the aircraft in clear daytime - let alone at night and during a riot - but I can't really figure a drone getting downed exclusively as a result of the lasers themselves.

I googled that 303 laser and firs YouTube clip was this.
I laughed so much and had to share with you guys

legality is indeed questionable, but, it is available.

legality is indeed questionable, but, it is available. i think there are 3W ones as well, but, cannot find a link for that. it is same kind used in 3d printers for engraving, only in the similar hand held enclosure.
I didn’t post any links to the more powerful ones on purpose.

guns do not kill people, people kill people. plus, now it all is just a common knowledge.

Well actually, I did post a link to more powerful type, but then took it off. If someone wants to find things they can, it’s more the people that don’t know how to do it that I’m worried about ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147