DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proven workflows to get good RAW panoramas from Mini 2

If it worked once it
“I had originally solved this in HUGIN: but this was more by luck than judgement and it has stopped working properly now. HUGIN is really too complicated for me!”
If it worked once it can work again. When I was using Hugin I wrote down settings that worked for different situations so I could repeat the stitch when necessary.

From memory (because I've used PTGUI Pro for years), you have to choose the correct projection. Hugin doesn't always default to a projection that gives good results. As well, you can manually set the horizon level to something other than dead centre of the image. This will uncurve the horizon at the cost of more curving of other straight horizontal lines.

In PTGUI I often use the Vedutismo projection, which is Panini in Hugin. I think it may be what you're looking for.

If you post a link to a sample set of nine images I can play around a bit and possibly give you better suggestions.

DJI Fly app does an OK job of stitching, it is just slow and requires the drone to be "on" and the SD card installed.

panotest01.jpg

I think the reason the images look curved /distorted is because the mini 2 angles the camera for the corner images, and since they know whatever algorithm they used to control the automated pano their stitcher tries to undo it.

BTW i am shooting 4:3 not 16:9 for that image, auto everything, sun is behind the drone, etc.

Last edited:
The reason to convert the file format is that I do not know if its even possible to stitch RAW images.
Of course it is possible. Do this all the time in Photoshop without any issues. RAW is simply an image without any kind of compression, color space or anything else, it is simply what the sensor records and nothing more. It has less noise, a greater level of adjustments while keeping the quality high and RAW compression is lossless, additionally, all of these files can be post processed identically to help give a high level of consistency, and unlike JPEG files that also have a more limited color space, noise from compression and a lossy format, meaning each time you edit that file and save, it degridates the overall quality. In fact, if you take a JPEG file and resave it (I think) 26 times, it will look OK, but on that 27th save, your file goes to black and nothing else. You are of course welcome to use any technique you choose and works for the images you are wanting to make, but for all of the things you mentioned, RAW is still the way to go.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair