DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proven workflows to get good RAW panoramas from Mini 2

CJG

Reactions
Hi all,

I am revisiting an old topic/reopening old wounds: how to get a flat-horizon-9-image-pano from a Mini 2. I am just processing images from a trip to the south coast of the UK (Milford-on-Sea and Hurst Castle) and reminded myself how frustrating this issue is.

The Mini 2 is a phenomenal aircraft which takes great images; but this really bugs me. If you stitch in-app, then the resulting jpg isn't too bad (although a bit distorted at the bottom edges and too low a quality).

But if you import into Lightroom Classic and try and create a pano from the 9 images, you get a fish-eye, curved horizon image. I had originally solved this in HUGIN: but this was more by luck than judgement and it has stopped working properly now. HUGIN is really too complicated for me!

Has anyone found a foolproof, fairly-simple, method of getting a flat horizon panorama from a Mini 2 9 image pano? I prefer free things (other than Lightroom) but I am prepared to pay for a proven method of sorting out these panoramas!

Many thanks in advance

CJG

Just shoot the pano manually.
Then it's easy.

Reactions: CJG
I don't know about the mini or 9 image panos.
I only have mavic pro 2's but I can tell you what I use.

First off its easier and simpler to use jpg images but you want RAW.
I use RawTherapee to convert the 26 DNG files in batch to png or jpg format. You can edit exposure etc. in RawTherapee but I leave that till later.
The reason to convert the file format is that I do not know if its even possible to stitch RAW images.

When I have the 26 jpg or png format files I then stitch them together using Microsoft Image Composite Editor(ICE).
Import: (drag and Drop) all 26 images into ICE.
Stitch: Because there are 26 images ICE automatically stiches them together as a 360 Spherical Pano, but you can adjust and tweak the settings if you wish.
Crop: ICE will auto crop to include as much detail as possible
I then click on auto complete to square things off.
Export: The last step with ICE is to export the image as a jpg format.

The problem now is that the image is of the wrong proportions.
GIMP
Import the stitched image into GIMP. Go to the top menu 'Image' and select 'Canvas Size'.
To produce a 360 pano the image proportion has to be (2:1)twice as wide as high.
My stitched images are for example 27648 pixels wide. Being an even number it is handy if its an odd number you will have to round things off. So 27648/2 is 13824 pixels.
Change the number of pixels in the height to be 13824 and click on the link lock next to the numbers. Look carefully at the image preview below and drag the image down to sit at the bottom of the box. and click resize.
1633612936258.jpeg

You now have a full 360 degree pano which you can open in Rioch Theta or other pano viewer. With a horizontal horizon albeit with no top just white sky above.

You can leave things at this stage or use SkyFill to add sky above or a mirror image sphere, but thats a whole bigger subject.

Just tried stitching 9 images from a 3 x 3 grid but it depends on what effect you are trying to achieve.

Of the ten projections available in ICE only the three transverse projections and the perspective projections will give a straight horizon.
The other six projections all give a curved horizon.
That said each of the transverse projections can only produce a level horizon by distorting the extremities..

Attachments

• 1633612881112.jpeg
    1633612881112.jpeg
    9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Reactions: CJG
He was asking about the peculiar way the Mini uses to shoot an automated 9 image pano.
It's quite different from what you are used to.
See here:

Hi all,

I am revisiting an old topic/reopening old wounds: how to get a flat-horizon-9-image-pano from a Mini 2. I am just processing images from a trip to the south coast of the UK (Milford-on-Sea and Hurst Castle) and reminded myself how frustrating this issue is.

The Mini 2 is a phenomenal aircraft which takes great images; but this really bugs me. If you stitch in-app, then the resulting jpg isn't too bad (although a bit distorted at the bottom edges and too low a quality).

But if you import into Lightroom Classic and try and create a pano from the 9 images, you get a fish-eye, curved horizon image. I had originally solved this in HUGIN: but this was more by luck than judgement and it has stopped working properly now. HUGIN is really too complicated for me!

Has anyone found a foolproof, fairly-simple, method of getting a flat horizon panorama from a Mini 2 9 image pano? I prefer free things (other than Lightroom) but I am prepared to pay for a proven method of sorting out these panoramas!

Many thanks in advance

CJG
I use Microsoft's Image Composite Editor for stitching panos, 9 files & 26 file 360. The spherical and flat projections both work with 9 images. However you do have to crop the edges to make a rectangular image.
And best of all it's FREE, Windows only though.

Reactions: CJG and Fizzbang
I use Microsoft's Image Composite Editor for stitching panos, 9 files & 26 file 360. The spherical and flat projections both work with 9 images. However you do have to crop the edges to make a rectangular image.
As demonstrated in the link in post #4 .. stitching isn't the problem or solution.
ICE does not solve the problem.

Just shoot the pano manually.
Then it's easy.
Thats certainly Plan B, @Meta4! I do like the convenience of the automated Panoramas though. It just saves time when you want to quickly pop up the Mini 2 a grab a few shots

Attachments

• RemoteMediaFile_6554060_0_2021_09_23_10_40_46.jpg
    RemoteMediaFile_6554060_0_2021_09_23_10_40_46.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 7

First off its easier and simpler to use jpg images but you want RAW.
I use RawTherapee to convert the 26 DNG files in batch to png or jpg format. You can edit exposure etc. in RawTherapee but I leave that till later.
The reason to convert the file format is that I do not know if its even possible to stitch RAW images.

When I have the 26 jpg or png format files I then stitch them together using Microsoft Image Composite Editor(ICE).
Import: (drag and Drop) all 26 images into ICE.
Stitch: Because there are 26 images ICE automatically stiches them together as a 360 Spherical Pano, but you can adjust and tweak the settings if you wish.
Crop: ICE will auto crop to include as much detail as possible
I then click on auto complete to square things off.
Export: The last step with ICE is to export the image as a jpg format.

The problem now is that the image is of the wrong proportions.
GIMP
Import the stitched image into GIMP. Go to the top menu 'Image' and select 'Canvas Size'.
To produce a 360 pano the image proportion has to be (2:1)twice as wide as high.
My stitched images are for example 27648 pixels wide. Being an even number it is handy if its an odd number you will have to round things off. So 27648/2 is 13824 pixels.
Change the number of pixels in the height to be 13824 and click on the link lock next to the numbers. Look carefully at the image preview below and drag the image down to sit at the bottom of the box. and click resize.
View attachment 135961

You now have a full 360 degree pano which you can open in Rioch Theta or other pano viewer. With a horizontal horizon albeit with no top just white sky above.

You can leave things at this stage or use SkyFill to add sky above or a mirror image sphere, but thats a whole bigger subject.

Just tried stitching 9 images from a 3 x 3 grid but it depends on what effect you are trying to achieve.

Of the ten projections available in ICE only the three transverse projections and the perspective projections will give a straight horizon.
The other six projections all give a curved horizon.
That said each of the transverse projections can only produce a level horizon by distorting the extremities..
Wow! Thanks for all the work in this answer @Fizzbang. But I don’t tend to do 360 panoramas: I do 9 or 10 image panos in the Mini 2 and 9 or 21 images in my M2P

Unfortunately I’m a Mac man @Hummingbird.UAV

What is the problem then?
Apart from having cropped away half of the panorama image and defeating the purpose of the 9 image panorama .... nothing.
I spent several hours trying all options, including ICE as explained in the link in post #4 and nothing stitches the 9-shot automated panorama properly like a simple manually shot panorama.

Apart from having cropped away half of the panorama image and defeating the purpose of the 9 image panorama .... nothing.
I spent several hours trying all options, including ICE as explained in the link in post #4 and nothing stitches the 9-shot automated panorama properly like a simple manually shot panorama.
If you don't like the crop take more pictures.

DDayPano2.jpgJust use GIMP Filter Lens distortion correction.
DDayPano2LensDistortion.jpg

Reactions: McGanksta
If you don't like the crop take more pictures.
The topic of the thread is the automated 9-shot panorama, which doesn't give the option to take more photos.
I don't use the automated option and always shoot my panoramas manually, giving me full control and no stitching.
issues.

Because of something weird about the way DJI shoots the images for their 9-shot automated pano, you cannot manually stitch and get a satisfactory result.

Post 14 seems to be on to something

McG

While I have an ongoing subscription to Photoshop and Lightroom (the rental scheme makes me angry) I almost never use Lightroom. I've found a better program: On1Photo Raw... the 2022 version just released. The one feature that I love is that while you *can* import images into O1PR, you don't have to and can work directly from the folders. Works great with Panos. Very similar interface to Lightroom with a few differences. If Lightroom were a separate subscription from Photoshop I'd ditch it tomorrow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998