DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PSA: Front arms can fold in during flight.

BobDoLe

Reactions
I probably should have posted this a while back when it happened, but I figure better late than never.

I was testing some modified parameters which allowed for more speed, but I've been told others have hit this kind of speed with a tail wind and so this is relevant.
58mph...then both sticks fully forward - what could go wrong?
It climbs for a second and then the view turns into a violent clockwise spin while the rear propeller chews up the front landing gear.

If anyone has had their mavic pro mysteriously fall out of the sky and saw this kind of damage to their front landing gear, it is because of this.

Attachments

• 20181217_155106.jpg
    20181217_155106.jpg
    949.1 KB · Views: 230
  • 58mph.arm.folding.crash.gif
    58mph.arm.folding.crash.gif
    1.4 MB · Views: 227
I knew there must have been a reason DJI limited Sport Mode to approx 40 MPH. Now I know why. Front arms can fold backwards and be impacted by the rear props.

Looks gnarly! Lots of damage from a 58 MPH spinning fall to the terra firma?

I knew there must have been a reason DJI limited Sport Mode to approx 40 MPH. Now I know why. Front arms can fold backwards and be impacted by the rear props.

Looks gnarly! Lots of damage from a 58 MPH spinning fall to the terra firma?
I was surprised to find very minimal damage.
I think it crashed just right.
Broken props, the one front landing gear pictured, and a crack on the rear lower shell where a back leg is screwed in (it was slightly popped out and popped right back in).
I just put heat shrink on the landing gear to keep stuff/water out of it. I took it on 43 long flights after that and eventually used a dji care (express) replacement.

Wow! I did not know this was a possibility without a strike. I would have figured that the forward pull of the props to move the craft forward would also keep the arms ahead of any deflection wind force pushing back.

I really do learn something new (to me) every day around here. The next question, bracing even if temporary?

Reactions: mereflyer
Wow! I did not know this was a possibility without a strike. I would have figured that the forward pull of the props to move the craft forward would also keep the arms ahead of any deflection wind force pushing back.

I really do learn something new (to me) every day around here. The next question, bracing even if temporary?
Look at the way the front motors torque, they work against the hinge detents. Pulling out of a dive is a likely way to fold an arm.

Interesting discussion! Had the same problem on my M2P:rolleyes:
Flew in Sport Mode with dusts of wind. After landing damage left front.

Regards;
Stefan.

Attachments

• 68680496_10156899861212982_3152905706395402240_n.jpg
    68680496_10156899861212982_3152905706395402240_n.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 66
I probably should have posted this a while back when it happened, but I figure better late than never.

I was testing some modified parameters which allowed for more speed, but I've been told others have hit this kind of speed with a tail wind and so this is relevant.
58mph...then both sticks fully forward - what could go wrong?
It climbs for a second and then the view turns into a violent clockwise spin while the rear propeller chews up the front landing gear.

If anyone has had their mavic pro mysteriously fall out of the sky and saw this kind of damage to their front landing gear, it is because of this.

One of the reasons why I used the Rubber Stompers on the Mavic Wet Suits was to stop accidental folding in Extrmeme Weather Conditions , up until now I have never heard of it happening. Thanks for sharing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Extreme Weather.
Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 7.20.47 PM.png

Last edited:
One of the reasons why I used the Rubber Stompers on the Mavic Wet Suits was to stop accidental folding in Extrmeme Weather Conditions , up until now I have never heard of it happening. Thanks for sharing.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Extreme Weather.
View attachment 81058
How much can you fold the arm with the stopper in place and how is it held on?

How much can you fold the arm with the stopper in place and how is it held on?

If you look at this picture you can see the compression band across the top , the the stopper positioned to adjust inside the legs to prevent water, moisture
and to aid in support of the arms. When your done with your flight you can slide them up on top of the mavic and fold up the drone.

DSC00336-5c48c7ef9e564-2000x1126.jpg

i hate to say it, but i am pretty sure that will not stop the arm from folding in and causing a crash.
the rear propellers would eat up the front landing gear before the rubber grommets came into play and it would be far to late by then.
so far, the only thing that has come up that is available for purchase is for the mavic 2 and it is a $12 pgytech camera mount (of all things).

i recently lost yet another mavic pro platinum via folding arm over a lake and submitted all the info to dji (flight logs from phone and cached video) and dji covered it as a warranty replacement. they know this is a thing.

Interesting discussion! Had the same problem on my M2P:rolleyes:
Flew in Sport Mode with dusts of wind. After landing damage left front.

Regards;
Stefan.
i guess the mavic 2 is not immune. i'm definitely investing in a $12 camera mount. it's only 31 grams.. and i can stick a lumecube on it to legitimately take evening shots and morning hyperlapses!

Last edited:
i hate to say it, but i am pretty sure that will not stop the arm from folding in and causing a crash.
the rear propellers would eat up the front landing gear before the rubber grommets came into play and it would be far to late by then.
so far, the only thing that has come up that is available for purchase is for the mavic 2 and it is a $12 pgytech camera mount (of all things).

i recently lost yet another mavic pro platinum via folding arm over a lake and submitted all the info to dji (flight logs from phone and cached video) and dji covered it as a warranty replacement. they know this is a thing.

They fit inside not on the outside so they hold it in place , were good in extreme winds and we have a camera lock so the gimbal stays on track.
Its just a small part that locks the camera from behind. We do the same on the Phantom 4 . Thanks.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in extreme weather ,
Coal

They fit inside not on the outside so they hold it in place , were good in extreme winds and we have a camera lock so the gimbal stays on track.
Its just a small part that locks the camera from behind. We do the same on the Phantom 4 . Thanks.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in extreme weather ,
Coal
i don't see how anyone would think your grommets would fit on the outside. i get what you're saying, but try this... attempt to fold in the front arm while your grommet is in place and see if the arm is able to contact the rear propellers at all.

give me a mavic pro and your wetsuit. i guarantee i can make make the front arms fold in during flight. unfortunately, i've done this several times unintentionally so all i need is about 12mph winds and an unpopulated area.

i don't see how anyone would think your grommets would fit on the outside. i get what you're saying, but try this... attempt to fold in the front arm while your grommet is in place and see if the arm is able to contact the rear propellers at all.

give me a mavic pro and your wetsuit. i guarantee i can make make the front arms fold in during flight. unfortunately, i've done this several times unintentionally so all i need is about 12mph winds and an unpopulated area.

I thought i was on the same page , but 12 mph winds , arms folding in , I was thinking 30 to 50 mph interesting.
When I get a chance I will make a video for you.

Its just not making any sense to me now , the arms folding in at 12 mph and I am thinking something else might be wrong.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

I thought i was on the same page , but 12 mph winds , arms folding in , I was thinking 30 to 50 mph interesting.
When I get a chance I will make a video for you.

Its just not making any sense to me now , the arms folding in at 12 mph and I am thinking something else might be wrong.

Phantomrain.org
Coal
Yes, design limitation/flaw. I believe lolo780 uses carbon rods. You might want to pick his brain

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661