Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pulled the trigger on a Tripltek 8 pro

Bob in Savannah

Masters Patron
Reactions
Site
instagram.com
Yep. I've been debating on it...I only had 3 beers yet I went ahead and made the purchase..lol. I think it was a wise decision. Four years ago I had the og Mavic pro and had learned a lot and then sold it right here on this site. Now, im really wanting to get back in the hobby...wish I still had that old Mavic pro..lol.. Currently I have the mini 2 that I just purchased 2 weeks ago and am using a Galaxy Fold 3 which is quite fragile and lackluster in brightness... The other hardware specs FAR EXCEED what the fly app requires. However, I really don't want to put my fragile phone in a DIY holder on the RC... Its currently working with some rubber bands but Im just asking for trouble to continue that... ALSO, I am planning on getting a Mavic 3 in the new year. I was debating on the mini 3 pro but im hearing the RC is sub par compared to the Tripltec and Its all a moot point when I get the Mavic 3 since it requires a display and is not offered with a RC that has one installed.. Im thinking this was a wise decision looking ahead. I don't want to get rid of the mini 2 so I can use the tablet with both of them. I appreciate any concerning comments even though its a done deal.. lol. Thanks for listening and commenting

Come back later with your experiences. I’d like to know.

Reactions: zeusfl and Barbara
I bought the TriplTek Pro 8 for my Mavic 3 since I wanted a bigger screen and better sunlight visibility. The TripleTek has excellent battery life even when running at the max brightness of 1200 nits they advertise.

No question the bigger screen is helpful, but this is a very heavy tablet. You need to buy a mount for this with a lanyard to operate this more comfortably, but even then it seems a bit top heavy. For that reason I still use my iPhone for the convenience of setup.

As for the brightness it is still marginal in full sun. To be truly readable in direct sun I now believe it would need to be capable of 2500 nits. That is the number that the industry developing AR glasses is working toward. I have tried it both with and without the plastic AG screen they provided and it doesn’t help that much, while making the display less sharp. I fashioned my own sunshade from mounting board but that is also a bit awkward. For now I still fly with an umbrella.

I've been thinking about the Tripltek myself. I love my ChrystalSky, but it's useless for anything else and won't run the Fly software.

Reactions: GFields
Well, the only update I can give at the moment is that they DEFINITELY shipped it today, the day after the sale. I have the tracking number and it's DEFINITELY in route. Not just the shipping g label printed.. Lol at ebay tricks... So, 8m happy already they didn't waste any time shipping it. Should have it Monday or Tuesday... I'll update then

I had considered getting the Tripletek to use with my Mavic 3 but ended up going with the RC pro and love it. It has a smaller screen but for me the customizable buttons, bright screen and almost instant on and connection to the drone we’re worth it.

Chris

I'm not overly concerned about not being happy... Ill have several months to decide about what I need to do about the impending Macic 3 in the new year... Hopefully, I'll feel like I can use this one rc and tablet for both. If not, maybe there will be another option or the RC pro..

Yep. I've been debating on it...I only had 3 beers yet I went ahead and made the purchase..lol. I think it was a wise decision. Four years ago I had the og Mavic pro and had learned a lot and then sold it right here on this site. Now, im really wanting to get back in the hobby...wish I still had that old Mavic pro..lol.. Currently I have the mini 2 that I just purchased 2 weeks ago and am using a Galaxy Fold 3 which is quite fragile and lackluster in brightness... The other hardware specs FAR EXCEED what the fly app requires. However, I really don't want to put my fragile phone in a DIY holder on the RC... Its currently working with some rubber bands but Im just asking for trouble to continue that... ALSO, I am planning on getting a Mavic 3 in the new year. I was debating on the mini 3 pro but im hearing the RC is sub par compared to the Tripltec and Its all a moot point when I get the Mavic 3 since it requires a display and is not offered with a RC that has one installed.. Im thinking this was a wise decision looking ahead. I don't want to get rid of the mini 2 so I can use the tablet with both of them. I appreciate any concerning comments even though its a done deal.. lol. Thanks for listening and commenting

I believe you will be very happy with the Tripltek 8 Pro. I am able to see the screen in the bright Alabama sunlight with no problems. I love the fact that I can use one device for all my drones, DJI Fly, DJI Go 4, and Autel plus if you wanted to, you can use it as a phone too. I don't because I don't want phone calls while I'm flying. Let us know what you think about it once you use it.

I believe you will be very happy with the Tripltek 8 Pro. I am able to see the screen in the bright Alabama sunlight with no problems. I love the fact that I can use one device for all my drones, DJI Fly, DJI Go 4, and Autel plus if you wanted to, you can use it as a phone too. I don't because I don't want phone calls while I'm flying. Let us know what you think about it once you use it.
Thanks for your positive reply! I'm expecting it to really be a great screen. I'm right next door to you in Savannah so I know you understand what I'm dealing with. Lol it's like Christmas and I don't know how I'll get through the weekend.. ;)

Reactions: GFields
I had considered getting the Tripletek to use with my Mavic 3 but ended up going with the RC pro and love it. It has a smaller screen but for me the customizable buttons, bright screen and almost instant on and connection to the drone we’re worth it.

Chris
My only concerns that kept me from buying the Pro controller was the potential of incompatibility with a future Litchi release and the inadequate luminance spec, but surely it is more convenient to use, especially with two thumb wheels. I also felt it unreasonable that DJI never offered a combo with that controller, forcing us to buy both controllers.

I didn’t mind getting the standard controller when I got my M3 as it helped spread out the cost of the drone purchase and the pro controller. Also, I will likely pick up a M3P (drone only) to pair with my standard controller in the fall as it will allow me to fly where I can’t fly my M3 and will replace my trusty Spark.

The pro controller is basically a custom android tablet and third party apps can be installed however I haven’t felt the need to as the SDK hasn’t been released yet for the M3.

One of the main reasons why I went with the Pro controller is that I fly my drones in the winter in sub zero temperatures and often hike or ski to flying locations so having to take out a tablet, connect cables, etc. all takes up valuable time that my hands and the drone are exposed to before getting airborne. The Pro controller negates most of this.

Chris

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
I didn’t mind getting the standard controller when I got my M3 as it helped spread out the cost of the drone purchase and the pro controller. Also, I will likely pick up a M3P (drone only) to pair with my standard controller in the fall as it will allow me to fly where I can’t fly my M3 and will replace my trusty Spark.

The pro controller is basically a custom android tablet and third party apps can be installed however I haven’t felt the need to as the SDK hasn’t been released yet for the M3.

One of the main reasons why I went with the Pro controller is that I fly my drones in the winter in sub zero temperatures and often hike or ski to flying locations so having to take out a tablet, connect cables, etc. all takes up valuable time that my hands and the drone are exposed to before getting airborne. The Pro controller negates most of this.

Chris
I agree about the convenience of the Pro controller... I understand that yet still decided on the Tripltec for now...Of, course, when I purchase my Mavic 3 in the new year, I might have a different opinion and not want to use that tablet...But right now it seems like a logical choice. Plus, Im (unfortunately) not anywhere near the snow or mountains and actually can drive wherever I want to fly. Im in the tremendous heat and sun in the deep south and the Tripltc corrects my issues here geographically. I hope. lol

I agree about the convenience of the Pro controller... I understand that yet still decided on the Tripltec for now...Of, course, when I purchase my Mavic 3 in the new year, I might have a different opinion and not want to use that tablet...But right now it seems like a logical choice. Plus, Im (unfortunately) not anywhere near the snow or mountains and actually can drive wherever I want to fly. Im in the tremendous heat and sun in the deep south and the Tripltc corrects my issues here geographically. I hope. lol
You will find the tripltek will work well for you. I fly in arid to sub-tropical, never had an over heating issue yet, the screen while not as sharp as the iPad gets the job done.
Regards

I dont mean to inundate the forum with my excited posts concerning my Tripltec 8 pro which I should receive tomorrow or Tuesday but I just figured out something sweet.

Apparently, I have a second line on AT&T that I'm NOT using. I had "lost" a phone and added a line to get a new phone with a cheaper price a couple years ago.. I had forgotten about that. HA! I just called 611 (AT&T customer service) and they are shooting me a FREE active sim card on that second line. Now, I can just slide that baby in my dedicated device and use it as a dedicated line in the Tripltec. No need to hotspot now or do it at the house, Ill just have the sim forever in the tablet.

...I wonder if I could forward my calls from my normal line to the Tripltec..? I'm sure I could. Either way, this was a pleasant surprise. Its all starting to fit together...

Thanks for listening.

Both my 7 & 8 were a pain to get activated on Verizon. In both cases I needed to go to the store and have them activate it there. Also, both needed to be activated as a "smartphone" NOT a "tablet." My 8 was only able to be activated using a Note 10 sim card. The other thing to be aware of is the fact that the IMEI number is not visible on the unit and if you need it you'll have to contact TriplTek and they will provide yours to you.

Hopefully if you run into any issues this may save you some time.

I bought the TriplTek Pro 8 for my Mavic 3 since I wanted a bigger screen and better sunlight visibility. The TripleTek has excellent battery life even when running at the max brightness of 1200 nits they advertise.

No question the bigger screen is helpful, but this is a very heavy tablet. You need to buy a mount for this with a lanyard to operate this more comfortably, but even then it seems a bit top heavy. For that reason I still use my iPhone for the convenience of setup.

As for the brightness it is still marginal in full sun. To be truly readable in direct sun I now believe it would need to be capable of 2500 nits. That is the number that the industry developing AR glasses is working toward. I have tried it both with and without the plastic AG screen they provided and it doesn’t help that much, while making the display less sharp. I fashioned my own sunshade from mounting board but that is also a bit awkward. For now I still fly with an umbrella.
As to how heavy it is I am 72yrs with torn rotator cuffs in both shoulders. I’ve never noticed it’s too heavy… :) I use a little attachment that connects it directly to my RC and although I bought a lanyard to use I have yet to bother with it and my other holder that would take it.

Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Well, I spent all evening yesterday and last night setting that thing up. Had to call AT&T about 100 times to finally get the sim card activated. They kept asking me for an imie number on the device even though I don't need one... Ugh. Finally got it done. Can't fly yet until I get home from my "retirement job" at noon today.
Everything looks great and I'm excited about the maiden voyage today.

On a side note AT&T "sees" this Tripltec pro 8 as a Cubox x30. Whatever that is... Lol

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjd54