DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pushed the limit out of the Mavic, more push needed :D

DiAleksi

Reactions

I tried to fly the Mavic like a racer quad. The control is obviously differs hugely from the real Mode 2. But it's ok, manageable.
The bigger problem is the camera gimbal, that can't handle such speed and turns. Does anyone know, is there any way to lock gimbals to the specified position? The "FPV" mode in settings is not real fpv, camera rotation is synced with right stick roll control. There is still stabilization and pitch hold. Real FPV could be total position lock, like to 25 degree upward.

Reactions: alex_markov

I tried to fly the Mavic like a racer quad. The control is obviously differs hugely from the real Mode 2. But it's ok, manageable.
The bigger problem is the camera gimbal, that can't handle such speed and turns. Does anyone know, is there any way to lock gimbals to the specified position? The "FPV" mode in settings is not real fpv, camera rotation is synced with right stick roll control. There is still stabilization and pitch hold. Real FPV could be total position lock, like to 25 degree upward.
Wouldn't fixed wing mode be more like a racing quad?

The mavic is not suitable for racing. The swivel stops of the arms will eventually break and the props will hit the body shell causing it to crash. Several threads here about that. The harsh movements will also damage your gimbal probably. It's designed to be small portable flying camera platform. There are very nice racers out there that outperform the Mavic for a quarter of the price. But you know that already I guess.

The only way that I know of locking the gimbal from lateral or vertical motion would be disconnecting the gimbal ribbon cable and locking it with the gimbal lock. You will still get video but no gimbal movement, and maybe a few error messages.

Please tell me you have Refresh or State Farm. :rolleyes:

The mavic is not suitable for racing. The swivel stops of the arms will eventually break and the props will hit the body shell causing it to crash. Several threads here about that. The harsh movements will also damage your gimbal probably. It's designed to be small portable flying camera platform. There are very nice racers out there that outperform the Mavic for a quarter of the price. But you know that already I guess.
Ohh! Thanks for that info! Yes, I've built racing and freestyle 3"-6" quads and saw my Mavic collecting a dust on the shelve :D So decided to try how it will perform in such maneurs. Maybe I have to forget an idea of aggressive fly with Mavic and try some proximity with a speed suitable for camera gimbals :)

Jester: "That was some of the best flying I've seen to date — right up to the part where you got killed."

Reactions: Former Member
Jester: "That was some of the best flying I've seen to date — right up to the part where you got killed."
Actually is was not killed there. Just small bit ripped off the prop. New prop on and the fly continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moebius69
Next time I try to fly a bit nicer for gimbal to keep following. Maybe some proximity in the forest :D

u can mod the mav air i believe into super sport mode, there also may be ways to lock the gimbal in those extra paremeters. will fly way faster and turn sharper and u can make her stop faster too

And guys, I forgot to tell you that I use a real FPV system on it to fly that way. With Mavic's own slow latency stream is impossible to react and control.
Il2E-eVmlldFWJ8Z8K7U5HsGF7897cWJI5CFWckt9ui3Ru1h1Yl4k_En7Gfhjdby5vEJjlXFhw5-X7a80TgdbLVZeI9f-PcjmVc2mYuFA6E0fUtO7gaDydMgXwY7g4zmtjuQU-2NgR63_nmaTVXqvBA9xrPIVCPFEilslWBnFqCXTEr-mv_4i_AUqI1DGiWzztSlYyJLSHVQFXb5gyQAJIP16JNQnfQOf5nIVLJ5BGcKk8-eFii2dodbdGEWcj8eXbDkzpMfLnWczbAe54TSxt53976X13keOjM6yVu9RdEMIOOtF1f6TP4lulob7w6eMx-0XhJ4yvxQExbMMBKLrVqAXTbK8GkcvIhONaNoHzE9zoF4f3UU7UBK75P9NiRT4AVgNFo4VyPk7zJpzuf1RZhHKfLhQGse5mEJpbEYJuq9Qg9V477JKdONS8hxr72_nGbjHV7EHT9NqXdrdSB6XClesrXs_dDEo127cXenCHzTnHFTkEsJRvmfI2GX-xEfksldjU9DhGNPiAoHmC01zkVMMZhsOrukW2Ekh9_eqQfXdY4Q1aEGbhgMr9ylNFWa7nOAV7CnAIXT6KvcnmneyNjKkmOozhErVlR5MKsd=w1416-h1062-no

Here is dvr from goggles:

u can mod the mav air i believe into super sport mode, there also may be ways to lock the gimbal in those extra paremeters. will fly way faster and turn sharper and u can make her stop faster too
Mavic as a photography or selfie flying cam is enough for me and I have a lot of racing quads also. So I don't see the need to invest in to other DJI products :D This project is just to keep the dust of the Mavic :D

Last edited:
Al things aside form that, I think the water drops in the long run will kill your Mavic. The trees were obviously dripping water drops from their branches so if you don’t fly into a tree hard enough eventually the water will kill your Mavic.

Aerodynamically, the airframe is not upto it. It will break.

Reactions: Former Member
Al things aside form that, I think the water drops in the long run will kill your Mavic. The trees were obviously dripping water drops from their branches so if you don’t fly into a tree hard enough eventually the water will kill your Mavic.
Fresh water is not a problem for electronics, but the salt sea water is. So fresh water from lakes, rain or snow will not kill the Mavic. But sure it can cause some mess while flying if it pass into the shell and on some low voltage signals. The brushless motors are waterproof.
Many of Mavic/Phantom pilots flew in high humid, rain an the snow with no problem. Proper drying after the fly is required to avoid hidden condension. Many Mavics survived water divings also.
If dived to the salt water, it should be kept in the salt water till the fresh water is available. It's important to not let the electronics dry after the salt water before hard rinsing in the fresh water. After rinsing in the fresh water proper drying required, like burying into the rice or silicate. Or in the special drying chamber for electronics.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d