DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Gimbal overload

Stebbe

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I just registered so here comes greetings from Sweden!

This forum seems really great with a lot of likeminded drone enthusiasts as myself. I´m a pretty experienced pilot with approx 230 flights under my belt.

So, to my question - I have just upgraded to a Mavic 2 Zoom Fly more Combo. Received it last weekend.

I unboxed it and started the fw update and Everything Went great.
After upgrading it I restarted Everything and pressed "go fly" so that I came into the app. The first thing it said was Gimbal overload. I had off course taken off the clamp but the problem was that a sticker that should be on the back of the gimbal had come loose (probably during transport) and was now stuck on the side of the gimbal and had "glued" itself to the Aircraft body. I immediately shut the drone off and removed the sticker.

What struck me just now is that probably the gimbal was stuck during the whole update which took maybe 20 minutes. Unless it got stuck first after restart. I guess you don´t get the warning when you are at the "first page" (Before you enter the actual app where you can see what the camera sees).

I have flown it 9 times and Everything works great but what I´m thinking about is if the gimbal motor could have taken some damage and now has shorter Life length or if it is binary - either it´s broken or it works and then Everything is fine?

Best

Stebbe

when you were updating did you hear the gimbal doing its thing, i would have thought that if it had been obstructed during the update ,then you would have had a message about it,do a gimbal calibration and watch and listen as it goes through the process, if all is well then you are probably not going to have issues further down the line ,also feel each gimbal motor after the calibration to see if they are hot, and when you fly watch out for gimbal overload messages if you keep getting them then you could have done some damage

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I really can´t remember if I Heard the gimbal, was too busy checking the update progress =). I did a gimbal calibration and I didn´t notice anything out of the ordinary. I haven´t got any overload messages when I have been flying so I guess that Everything is alright. Again, thanks a lot for your kind reply!

Flying will tell.... likely you’re fine, and you have a while to evaluate under the drone warranty.
Hope you documented the sticker photographically.

Reactions: old man mavic
if all is well then you are probably not going to have issues further down the line
Agreed if its working fine I would not worry about it. In the past I'm embarrassed to admit that on at least a 'couple' of occasions I have left the gimbal cover briefly in place when booting the drone up and had no issues so far. Maybe I've been lucky but I think that these smart little machines are probably more robust than we think...

yes i agree with you, i think it is something most of us have done me included ,and when it happens that battery seems to take forever to turn off

• Haha
Reactions: Gindra and torsen
The gimbal overload message probably comes from a measurement of the current being applied to the gimbal motors. If that is true, the motors are not being harmed. Over current could burn the motor out, but if that hasn’t happened, you should be fine.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78