DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about Ortho Mapping and Resolution

trevsdad

Reactions
I've just begun mapping with 'Map Pilot Pro/Maps Made Easy'.

I know there's a few other choices for data gathering and processing, but they're very expensive for a small indy company and we're still experimenting.

My question is this...what's the best practice (settings) for getting the best resolution? For starters, I'm trying to map an area with a couple of rooftops that I need to get a closer look at. I'm doing this with a Mavic Air 2 with no plans to upgrade this model until I learn more about this application and it's uses.

I'm using MA2, dronelink (not expensive) & Agisoft for ortho processing. Works well for me. Also for photos & videos i use Maven, all with Iphone.

Very basic rule of thumb. Lower altitude=higher resolution=longer flight time.
I always aim for the setting the altitude as low as possible to achieve the best inches/pixel while getting the area in 1 flight (ie 1 battery). Takes some fiddling with the orientation of the flight lines and launch point to find the sweet spot

Hi trevsdad, I use Map Pilot Pro to do mapping missions with either my DJI Mini 3, or Air 2s. I then stitch the photos into 2D and 3D maps using WebODM. I agree with Flightplan. However you can fly at 200-250ft and get very good results. I usually fly at 15mph. Map Pilot Pro will show you the pixel/cm smear. The smear I see at 250ft is typically 2cm/pixel. Flying high minimizes the number of photos for a given area. That translates to minimal photo map stitching time. If you are not a computer nerd and want to use WebODM I suggest that you buy the WebODM loader. Good luck with your mapping.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
efe