DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question about the 400 ft. rule

The scenario you describe sounds fine to me in theory. In practice, Mavics only calculate their 400 AGL from the home point. So, to scale a mountain like in your scenario, you'd have to land, reset your home point, climb 400 feet higher, land, then repeat. You would need to keep following that process over and over to get to the top of the mountain.

No, you set the max on the Mavic to 500 meters, then you don't need to be stopping and landing for every 400 feet of elevation, but rather every ~1600 feet of elevation.

You have to apply a little common sense.
If you were to fly 10 metres out over the edge of a 500 metre sheer cliff, you would be 500 metres above ground level, and upset fundamentalist forum rule people.
But the whole intent of the rules is to maintain aviation safety.
You aren't going to encounter any other aircraft flying close to a cliff edge.
The rules as written are brief and don't allow for every complicated scenario.
The number one rule is don't fly in a way that endangers others.
I

In the US at least, you can exceed 400 feet AGL if you are within 400 feet horizontally of an object that is taller than 400 feet. So, you would be fine unless you flew more than 400 feet away from the edge of the cliff.

Reactions: lertsek
I

In the US at least, you can exceed 400 feet AGL if you are within 400 feet horizontally of an object that is taller than 400 feet. So, you would be fine unless you flew more than 400 feet away from the edge of the cliff.

That's correct for Part 107 flights, or at least it is explicitly permitted around structures. The FAA has not, as far as I'm aware, clarified how it applies to terrain.

For recreational (Part 101) flights there is no fixed altitude limit, either in the law itself or in the AMA guidelines that recreational pilots are expected to follow.

Reactions: Broken Arrow
I’m in Portland, Oregon, USA with a prominent mountain (Mt. Hood) nearby. It is over 11,000 feet in elevation and quite scenic. I suspect the summit is out of reach for my Pro Platinum, but it should make for some interesting footage once I have a little more experience.

I’m still very curious about how the DJI devices address RTH from heights above the preset. Is the RTH setting an Above Ground Level, or a fixed, absolute value?

interesting to see if or how a drone would fair up that high. please post up video of this event. both onboard, and free standing feeds.

It's worth pointing out that this (shown below) is a different interpretation than the current AGL guidance in the US. Although it is broadly similar to the Part 107 400 ft rule in relation to structures, I don't think the FAA has ever mentioned it in relation to terrain.

View attachment 55060
CAP1687 July 2018

looks about even how i understand it to be.... but if you fly over a small valley, (less than 1/4 mile wide) gully, etc. i would believe not applied to fly over it.

interesting to see if or how a drone would fair up that high. please post up video of this event. both onboard, and free standing feeds.

All the DJI aircraft fly just fine at those altitudes, with just a slight reduction in flight time.

looks about even how i understand it to be.... but if you fly over a small valley, (less than 1/4 mile wide) gully, etc. i would believe not applied to fly over it.

There is plenty of terrain like that around here, and I've never worried too much about AGL in narrow valleys where there will be no other air traffic.

I have been at a little over 10k feet with no issues whatsoever.

higher wind speeds not much of a issue?
Come after the spring thaw I can get up to the tops and try my self in 2019
I have flown my air in 20-30 MPH winds recently at 6k feet. I would not fly up too high on a mountain on a gusty day.

higher wind speeds not much of a issue?
Come after the spring thaw I can get up to the tops and try my self in 2019

Wind speeds are an issue everywhere - it's not different in the mountains. What you have to watch for are big changes in wind speeds, particularly in saddles or as you clear ridges. If there are no clouds to watch then it can be deceptive. Just keep an eye on the attitude indicator.

Wind speeds are an issue everywhere - it's not different in the mountains. What you have to watch for are big changes in wind speeds, particularly in saddles or as you clear ridges. If there are no clouds to watch then it can be deceptive. Just keep an eye on the attitude indicator.
My point was once you get above the treeline gusts seem to be stronger. I think the higher you go the more unpredictable the gusts but I could be wrong.

My point was once you get above the treeline gusts seem to be stronger. I think the higher you go the more unpredictable the gusts but I could be wrong.

Once you get above the tree tops the gusts are often stronger, but that's true at any altitude. I'm not sure that the tree line makes much difference for a drone flying well above ground level.

I skied Mt. Hood for years, and skiers and drones are a natural match. Stop at any bar on the way up the hill and I'll bet you can find all the information you need to fly in the area. Most ski resorts have banned drones so don't plan on driving up to Timberline Lodge to get a shot at the peak.

I can see why there are sooo many restrictions in the US. If you can’t comply with the regulations, they will simply bring in more and more restrictions to cover the lowest common denominator who does the wrong thing.
simply 120m (400') agl is the limit not something suggested as a max height

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Xyggi