DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Question: how to *NOT* RTH?

DarthSLR

Reactions
I would like my AC (Mavic 2 Pro) to NOT record RTH, and hence do not warn me when it thinks it went too far away and now needs to return back.
The general low battery warning should suffice.
The problem I'm having right now is that when I hike (and use Active Tracking), I may end up 1-1.5 miles away from the initial take-off point.

What happens is that when the RTH warning is triggered, it kills any smart mode the drone was performing.
And, of course, having the ongoing alarm for the last 5 -7 min of the flight is annoying.
This problem will be emphasized even more if you try to do something like this using some faster mode of transportation, as in bicycle, boat or car.

So my question is: how to disable RTH activity?

UPDATE: apparently the answer is Dynamic Home Point.

Last edited:
I would like my AC (Mavic 2 Pro) to NOT record RTH, and hence do not warn me when it thinks it went too far away and now needs to return back.
The general low battery warning should suffice.
The problem I'm having right now is that when I hike (and use Active Tracking), I may end up 1-1.5 miles away from the initial take-off point.

What happens is that when the RTH warning is triggered, it kills any smart mode the drone was performing.
And, of course, having the ongoing alarm for the last 5 -7 min of the flight is annoying.
This problem will be emphasized even more if you try to do something like this using some faster mode of transportation, as in bicycle, boat or car.

So my question is: how to disable RTH activity?
turn Smart RTH off

If you were not changing RTH from return to home to dynamic or hover, you were in for a world of hurt. Basically, you were flying incorrectly. If you lost signal while using Active Track, the Mavic would try to fly back 1.5 miles. If it did not make it, it would land whenever it got to 10% battery. You'd then most likely have lost the drone at best, at worse, it might have caused damage while landing.

I'd _not_ recommend changing RTH to dynamic home point and instead using Hover. DHP means that they HP is updated ever 30 feet or so. The downside of this (terrible) option is that the Mavic will then try to fly back up to 30 feet and land. Will it go back 10, 15, 20 or 30 feet? You don't know. Where will that put it? Over a roof? Hover will allow you time to reconnect to the Mavic. If you don't connect by the time it is down to 10% battery, it will land... same as Dynamic return to home (just not fly back). IMHO, I've never come up with a good reason for Dynamic return to home. Hover is a much better option.

People not understanding the problems with Active Track probably lead to a lot of lost and crashed drones. IMHO, DJI should have a pop up screen when Active Track is selected to allow the operator to change RTH.

Reactions: Elude
Another option if the operator is moving would be to look down with the camera, hover over a good-looking landing site, and set a new home point. It doesn't matter what height you are flying at when the home point is set. If connection is lost it will return to the last home point you set and descend until it lands.

Another option if the operator is moving would be to look down with the camera, hover over a good-looking landing site, and set a new home point. It doesn't matter what height you are flying at when the home point is set. If connection is lost it will return to the last home point you set and descend until it lands.
As long as the operator kept stopping and doing this, it would work. Problem is, I don't think stopping often to do this is practical.

Reactions: DarthSLR
As long as the operator kept stopping and doing this, it would work. Problem is, I don't think stopping often to do this is practical.
How often you set a new home point would depend on you and the area, but is better than hover or return to original home point. I like to walk around while flying and this works for me, but to each their own.

Exactly. if I move, I move, I don't want to update the HP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada