DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions about file numbering with multiple SD cards, and file creation

MavicFlyer

Reactions
I have a single SD card that I've used for over two years. The photo and video files are numbered DJI_???.*.

If I get a second card, and end up using both with my Mavic Air, will my numbering continue to use sequential numbers irrespective of which card is being used? It hasn't been an issue so far, because whenever I move my files to my NAS, I leave the newest one on the card, so that the system will know which number was last used.

Is there a way to manually set the number? If I do a reset of the camera, I assume that the numbering will reset to zero. I'd like to be able to reset the camera, but don't want the file system to be reusing numbers that have already been assigned. Same question for the numbering of the files in the internal 8G storage.

If I get a second card, and end up using both with my Mavic Air, will my numbering continue to use sequential numbers irrespective of which card is being used?
Is there a way to manually set the number? If I do a reset of the camera, I assume that the numbering will reset to zero. I'd like to be able to reset the camera, but don't want the file system to be reusing numbers that have already been assigned.
If you have the Air 1 you fly with the DJI Go4 app which gives a lot more flexibility and options than Mini and Air 2 owners get with the DJI Fly app.
You have the ability to set the File Index Mode to Continuous or Reset.
If it's set to Continuous, the camera will continue through the sequence from DJI001-DJI999, even when you put a new card in the drone.
If it's set to Reset, it will start each new card back at DJI001.
i-HkwrhB2-L.jpg

If you have the Air 1 you fly with the DJI Go4 app which gives a lot more flexibility and options than Mini and Air 2 owners get with the DJI Fly app.
You have the ability to set the File Index Mode to Continuous or Reset.
If it's set to Continuous, the camera will continue through the sequence from DJI001-DJI999, even when you put a new card in the drone.
If it's set to Reset, it will start each new card back at DJI001.
i-HkwrhB2-L.jpg
I was afraid of that...it appears there is no way to reset the camera, without loosing the numbering.

And as to the internal memory "continuous" will cause the numbers to be used in sequence, regardless of how many cards are in rotation, or if one of the "cards" is internal memory

I was afraid of that...it appears there is no way to reset the camera, without loosing the numbering.
If you set the File Index Mode to Continuous, the numbering will continue from the last number used.
What do you mean about wanting to "reset the camera"?
And as to the internal memory "continuous" will cause the numbers to be used in sequence, regardless of how many cards are in rotation, or if one of the "cards" is internal memory.
I don't have a drone with internal memory to check but the logical assumption is that the camera assigns the file name regardless of where the image is saved.

It's a bit hard to understand your concern.
Eventually you will have more than 999 images anyway.
I regularly shoot more than 999 images in a week and it's no problem.
If don't keep all images in the same big directory, having duplicate numbers doesn't matter at all.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Like Meta4 says, if you have the files in different directory's / folders then duplicate file numbers don't matter.

On a Windows PC you get the option to save files with duplicate file names in the same folder, firstly a pop up says the destination already has a file named (whatever) & the choice of replace, skip or compare, if you click compare you can tick the box on both files and it will add to the name & save both.

If, for what ever reason, your numbering scheme is 'lost' all you need to do to recreate it is :-
1) put an empty card in the drone, set the continuous/reset option to reset, take a series of photos (they will probably have names starting at DJI_0001.JPG), let's say you took 5 photos
2) Switch the drone off, remove the card and connect it to your computer. Rename the photos on the card as if they were a continuation of the old numbering scheme. So, if the last 'photo' of your old scheme was DJI_0398.xyz then the new photos become DJI_0399.JPG to DJI_0403.JPG
3) Put the card back in the drone, switch the drone on and, BEFORE you take any photos, change the continuous/reset option to continuous.

With regards to DJI_0999 +1.xyz.
When the count is below 1000 my mini saves all the images in the folder "100MEDIA" . When the count reaches 999 +1 my mini creates a new folder "101Media" and saves the new 'photo' AND any subsequent 'photos' in 101MEDIA with names starting from DJI_0001.xyz. I presume the Air 1 acts in the same way.

If you go over 999 'photos' and want to keep continous naming on your computer then, on the computer, just run the stored 999+ named 'photos' through the likes of "Bulk Rename Utility" and rename them as suits you.
NOTE. It is possible that if you changed the names of 'photos' left on the card to, say, DJI_1012.xyz, you may cause problems. Stick to DJI's 999 limit.
I have know DLSRs to fail to boot if the images on their memory card were not named in accordance with the camera maker's system.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you set the File Index Mode to Continuous, the numbering will continue from the last number used.
What do you mean about wanting to "reset the camera"?

I don't have a drone with internal memory to check but the logical assumption is that the camera assigns the file name regardless of where the image is saved.

It's a bit hard to understand your concern.
Eventually you will have more than 999 images anyway.
I regularly shoot more than 999 images in a week and it's no problem.
If don't keep all images in the same big directory, having duplicate numbers doesn't matter at all.

I had an incident about a week ago where, I got home after shooting some videos, only to find that there were no video files on my SD card (or internal storage). Everything seemed normal as I was shooting them - the timer was clicking up the recording length, and stopped when I pressed to stop the video recording, and went to pano mode to shoot stills, followed by landing and normal shutdown.
Looking further into matters, I found that there were THM files corresponding to the numbers of the video files that apparently were never created. DJI tech support suggested "reset camera settings", but that would cause me to lose the sequence numbering (it would reset to DJI_001). I can't imagine that the DJI software doesn't detect a write failure by the SD, and give a warning...which never happened in the subject case.

I've duplicated the directory structure of the SD card in a NAS Volume. Every time I finish a shoot, I put the SD into a card reader and copy any files that have changed/new created into the directories in the NAS. What happens is that as I shoot videos/stills, they all accumulate in a single directory. It may not be the greatest filing system, but given the number of videos/stills I shoot (just over 500 in 2 yrs) it seems to work OK. I'm open to other filing concepts, but this has worked so far.

If, for what ever reason, your numbering scheme is 'lost' all you need to do to recreate it is :-
1) put an empty card in the drone, set the continuous/reset option to reset, take a series of photos (they will probably have names starting at DJI_0001.JPG), let's say you took 5 photos
2) Switch the drone off, remove the card and connect it to your computer. Rename the photos on the card as if they were a continuation of the old numbering scheme. So, if the last 'photo' of your old scheme was DJI_0398.xyz then the new photos become DJI_0399.JPG to DJI_0403.JPG
3) Put the card back in the drone, switch the drone on and, BEFORE you take any photos, change the continuous/reset option to continuous.

With regards to DJI_0999 +1.xyz.
When the count is below 1000 my mini saves all the images in the folder "100MEDIA" . When the count reaches 999 +1 my mini creates a new folder "101Media" and saves the new 'photo' AND any subsequent 'photos' in 101MEDIA with names starting from DJI_0001.xyz. I presume the Air 1 acts in the same way.

If you go over 999 'photos' and want to keep continuous naming on your computer then, on the computer, just run the stored 999+ named 'photos' through the likes of "Bulk Rename Utility" and rename them as suits you.
NOTE. It is possible that if you changed the names of 'photos' left on the card to, say, DJI_1012.xyz, you may cause problems. Stick to DJI's 999 limit.
I have know DLSRs to fail to boot if the images on their memory card were not named in accordance with the camera maker's system.
Thank you, PhiliusFoggg, this procedure is exactly what I was looking for.

I like the concept of photos over 999 going to a new folder 101MEDIA, and restarting at 001. I'll have to find out if the Mavic Air works the same way...I suspect that it does.

With the card attached to the computer just copy a photo etc. taken with the Air to the 100MEDIA folder then rename that photo DJI_0999.JPG, that assumes you have your computer set to show extensions such as JPG MP4, if not then the name is DJI_0999. DO NOT change the layout of the name, use "DJI_0999"

Reactions: AirOso
With the card attached to the computer just copy a photo etc. taken with the Air to the 100MEDIA folder then rename that photo DJI_0999.JPG, that assumes you have your computer set to show extensions such as JPG MP4, if not then the name is DJI_0999. DO NOT change the layout of the name, use "DJI_0999"
Quite irritating that this needs to be done, but it does work.
(I am using an Air 2) Put the new card in and format it. Take a picture in Single mode. Connect the card to a computer and rename the DJI_0001.JPG file to DJI_0379.JPG, for example. (If you capture RAW, be sure to change that file name as well, the DNG file.) Put the card back in the drone, take another picture to verify the number.
However, do not delete the files until you take a 'real' picture.
You should be fine.

Quite irritating that this needs to be done, but it does work.
Or you could just copy the last photo back to the card after you format the card.
Or, save to a different directory on your computer for each flight, naming the directory with date and location

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan