DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

R.I.D. Spoofing and is it legal?

If this hack sends a signal that there are multiple drones vs one drone, and any legal agencies also detected those multiple drone signals, I would think it would cause a safety issue as the legal agencies would be thinking there ARE multiple drones in an area. For example an Air Ambulance was on a response and these fake drones were in it's flight path.

Also legal drone pilots would also have their systems reporting multiple drones. In both cases it could cause legally flying pilots to abort flights (some being commercial jobs) and land to prevent possible in-flight collisions as they could not see the fake drones.

Reactions: Torque and AZDave
All things to consider. If the fake drones are near the airport, they might shut it down and nothing was even there. The FAA came up with this idea to broadcast the info, now they need to find a way to deal with it. I’m sure they were only thinking of their narrow use case but they have to know people are going to get creative.

If the fake drones are near the airport, they might shut it down and nothing was even there
Certainly. While maybe not specifically mentioned in relation to RID, doing something like this must break some existing law.

The FCC may think otherwise. I would imagine the LEOs may not appreciate this either. If they get a callout for a drone issue, and they find multiple fake drones on their RID app, they may want to discuss this further with the actual drone operator if they find them.

We'll see...

The FCC may think otherwise. I would imagine the LEOs may not appreciate this either. If they get a callout for a drone issue, and they find multiple fake drones on their RID app, they may want to discuss this further with the actual drone operator if they find them.

We'll see...
The rule is written for real drones. Is there a fake rule yet? Crappy but illegal?

In My FPV Hobby we have come up with a solution for those cell phone drone finder apps. It is simply a board programmed in Arduino to mimic a bunch of drones flying all around you-- so Karen can't see the pilots exact location. NOW I know mimicking some data is illegal but what about RID a lot of us are thinking of making one of these boards.
Keep in mind your rid number is still visible but so are a bunch of others
I think that the first time a major incident is complicated by spoofing, you will find out the extent of liability the spoofer may have.

While not an interfering signal, it does complicate law enforcement job and therefore could be considered harmful and malicious interference.

I simply do not think it is worth doing. If I am flying legally, let the Karen's come to me an educational opportunity.

I think that the first time a major incident is complicated by spoofing, you will find out the extent of liability the spoofer may have.

While not an interfering signal, it does complicate law enforcement job and therefore could be considered harmful and malicious interference.

I simply do not think it is worth doing. If I am flying legally, let the Karen's come to me an educational opportunity.
I think you are right. I myself really don't consider it a huge deal there have been incidents though, and some in the drone Community welcome these spoofers but these devices will be all over the place soon so I was interested in knowing if or what the F.A.A.or the F.C.C. would do about them.
I appreciate all the comments and I will say as of now these boards cannot automatically provide fake drones wherever you fly you must program the grid coordinates of the fake drones into the board via Arduino. But someone will soon solve that I'm sure. also I Know of no testing done with any Gov. Equipment only home builders using the Store apps.

I’m just saying the current rules address real physical things.
All rules address real physical things. Are you talking about what may happen in the future?

All rules address real physical things. Are you talking about what may happen in the future?
Basically. Rules come from issues many times. If someone is spoofing a real physical thing but there is nothing real in reality is there a rule for that so punishment can be applied. If not, is it illegal to appear to be something. I’m not in defense of the idea, I think it’s dumb and hope it’s not an issue. I’m just talking about what might be. I lean towards things that improve acceptance and hope more freedom is not removed as more rules are developed.

Reactions: Vic Moss
Basically. Rules come from issues many times. If someone is spoofing a real physical thing but there is nothing real in reality is there a rule for that so punishment can be applied.
There is an FCC rule about using frequencies to commit crime. We'll see if this is considered a crime by the FAA/FCC, or even interference with Law Enforcement.

I for one will advise folks to not do this.

Perhaps. Watch this video.
The only problem I have with this video is the regulation he is citing about about radio interference that is seriously interfering, degrading or interrupting a radiocommunication service. The spoofing apps don’t actually degrade the radiocommunication service any more than any other wireless device.

The spoofing apps don’t actually degrade the radiocommunication service any more than any other wireless device
I'm no lawyer, but I think the first person who does this and causes a safety-related issue is going to become a well known example by the FAA.

What do the kids say these days? Fool around and find out..

I’m just saying the current rules address real physical things.
Malicious information, intended to confuse enforcement efforts is harmful by definition. The law does nit say harmful interference via electro magnetic waves.

How many Karens know what RID is?
It doesn't take long for them to know once ads and articles start spamming about "Drone Locator" etc etc. They don't need to know exactly what RID is, they simply have to see some sort of suggestion that there's an app to locate a drone pilot.

If this hack sends a signal that there are multiple drones vs one drone, and any legal agencies also detected those multiple drone signals, I would think it would cause a safety issue as the legal agencies would be thinking there ARE multiple drones in an area. For example an Air Ambulance was on a response and these fake drones were in it's flight path.

Also legal drone pilots would also have their systems reporting multiple drones. In both cases it could cause legally flying pilots to abort flights (some being commercial jobs) and land to prevent possible in-flight collisions as they could not see the fake drones.

This entirely. It's a dumb idea.

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeaconB