DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

R.I.D. Spoofing and is it legal?

I for one will be selling my Mavic 2 Zoom and not be flying a drone with RID. Right or wrong, it is my personal belief that there is too much ignorance and animosity in the American population in general, too many guns and people to ready to use them. All it takes is one to ruin your whole day, cripple you forever, or end your life and ruin the lives of your loved ones. To me, personally, it's simply not worth the risk. Humans are capable of ruining pretty much anything and everything...take earth, for example.
Freedom is scary huh? What you mentioned goes for pretty much anything, not just for drones.

[YMMV] My answer to too many guns (at this point) is to get one of your own [/YMMV] 🇺🇲

Reactions: mobilehomer

No spoofing needed since anyone can submit a bogus DOC but bad actors won't need an actual drone just fake remote id.

The joker at the FAA doing a live stream.

Reactions: Skydreamer

No spoofing needed since anyone can submit a bogus DOC but bad actors won't need an actual drone just fake remote id.

The joker at the FAA doing a live stream.
yup….countless, countless emails to FAA about exposing pilot location being bad idea and they don give a ****……there is a lot of crazy people out there that shouldnt have internet access or electricity and they will be able to see our location….soon we goinna need observers and police detail when we fly drones….👎

Now I'm curious about what you had that looked like a controller and what you were actually doing...
I was carrying a wifi router out to my car and holding it with both hands.. antennas were pointing up.

In My FPV Hobby we have come up with a solution for those cell phone drone finder apps. It is simply a board programmed in Arduino to mimic a bunch of drones flying all around you-- so Karen can't see the pilots exact location. NOW I know mimicking some data is illegal but what about RID a lot of us are thinking of making one of these boards.
Keep in mind your rid number is still visible but so are a bunch of others
Spoofing RID along with generating fake RID's is not legal.

It's not a horrible idea, just not legal. If you're flying legally you have nothing to worry about. If someone is hassling us while we Fly legally then it's up to us to report that person as it is illegal for people to interfere with a drone operator while in flight.

Last edited:
I was approached once and I wasn't even flying a drone. I had what looked like a controller in hand and they let me know that what I was doing was very illegal. :D
Yeah, this has happened to me three times over 10+ years of drone piloting. It's just been the past two years though that I start to get more and more interest from the general public. Most of it is positive.

However, the three other times it was simply me having my ipad and phone working remotely outside.

It makes me no sense to me to even worry about this if you fly in a legal and safe (responsible) manner. That said, to answer your question, I'm pretty sure the FCC would see it as a violation, and find some obscure code number to cite. If you're intention is to obscure your location, to make it difficult to determine your location to Karen, it would be doing the same thing to them. I believe anything you do to intentionally slow their locating your correct position, including mixing in a bunch of random data, they would take issue with.
I hear what you're saying and agree, but this is not always true. Just because I use a VPN doesn't mean I'm up to something illegal or wrong. I simply value my privacy, etc.

I hear what you're saying and agree, but this is not always true. Just because I use a VPN doesn't mean I'm up to something illegal or wrong. I simply value my privacy, etc.
Guess who developed the ipsec?

That's right our snoopy little friends down at the NSA.

A thought on this “spoofing device”. Wouldn’t anyone with a hint of logic be able to realize that the spoofed signals are the ones that don’t move?

A thought on this “spoofing device”. Wouldn’t anyone with a hint of logic be able to realize that the spoofed signals are the ones that don’t move?
It's not spoofing unless the fake appears to be identical to the real.

Why Won’t the FBI Tell the Public About its Drone Program?

This is outrageous!

The fbi has been spying on citizens using drones and the FAA was only allowing drone operations tied with COAs and not private citizens. This is what was in the reauthorization act of 2012?

Not only are they spying on us in our daily activities, they want to control our drone flights as well, now that we are allowed to fly sort of.

It's not spoofing unless the fake appears to be identical to the real.
It's still early in the process, let me go back and check on the videos and get up to speed on what is actually being done. My comment means you can't really call it spoofing if no one gets fooled so it's only a matter of time before the gap is closed between fake/real. But....maybe I don't understand it completely. I see there is a debate on whether it is legal or not so I can't image throwing up fake dots all over creation that fools nobody would be "illegal." How can the government claim the "target" isn't real if to the equipment, it doesn't look real? I get it drones hover but let me check into it more pls....

I see there is a debate on whether it is legal or not so I can't image throwing up fake dots all over creation that fools nobody would be "illegal." How can the government claim the "target" isn't real if to the equipment, it doesn't look real?
It could look as real as the software developer wanted it to look. And it would be quite easy to make it seem real. For example, one could easily play back several actual flight logs at a different latitude and longitude.

Reactions: mavic3usa
It could look as real as the software developer wanted it to look. And it would be quite easy to make it seem real. For example, one could easily play back several actual flight logs at a different latitude and longitude.
I see. Apparently it may be a bit more involved than I imagined.

Reactions: mavic3usa
My favorite part is when Kevin from the FAA acknoweldges there have been violent conflicts and says its because the public has bought into a narrative that drones are dangerous and an invasion of privacy except in the hands of a privileged few. Only thing is he stops there and does not go on to explain who all has been spinning the false narrative with such diligence and dedication.

Last edited:
Ultimately that wasn’t the question brought to the court (the question was if the remote ID rules itself was unconstitutional not how it is used) and the petition was denied but arguments from the Justices show that LE isn’t going to get a free lunch in regard to RID.
Right the incredibly low bar the FAA had to clear was whether there was any conceivable use or purpose of RID which would not be an automatic per se violation of the US Consititution. Anyone living anywhere in the USA has the right to challenge how RID is used or as its applied by law enforcement or anyone else in their locality.

Last edited:
Reactions: brett8883
Why Won’t the FBI Tell the Public About its Drone Program?

This is outrageous!

The fbi has been spying on citizens using drones and the FAA was only allowing drone operations tied with COAs and not private citizens. This is what was in the reauthorization act of 2012?

Not only are they spying on us in our daily activities, they want to control our drone flights as well, now that we are allowed to fly sort of.
Yes, pretty much in a nutshell. Remember that it was the FBI which hosted the secret demonstration of networked Remote ID for the FAA and their VIP friends and benefactors at FBI HQ in Quantico VA.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harley1905