DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

R.I.P. Christmas Drones. USA Today

I got a Xmas drone and didn't fly it for almost a week until I had first of all read the instructions, updated all my firmware, put it in beginner mode (as I am a beginner ;)) and lastly got enough balls to sit it down start it up and push the ascend joystick in an open area and not in a woodland on its maiden voyage and kept it in LOS at all times and I still have it almost 3 weeks later :).

Do your research and updates and take it slow and you will have your drone for many launches later. I live in Australia so the shark spotting drone is a good thing but we currently have shark spotting helicopters who if they spot a shark can loud speaker you to get out of the water, what is the drone going to do? hover above your head to warn you but you think it is taking a picture so wave at it like a piece of shark bait and next minute your the local news :eek:

Reactions: Former Member
the shark spotting drone is a good thing but we currently have shark spotting helicopters who if they spot a shark can loud speaker you to get out of the water, what is the drone going to do?

Shark spotting drones would be an invaluable resource for places that cant afford an $800 per hour full scale helicopter. There are a good number of drones capable of carrying a heavy enough payload to include a superb camera for spotting, and also a loudspeaker to tell people, "No dont wave at me, there is a great white behind you!"

Reactions: DAV8IE
Shark spotting drones would be an invaluable resource for places that cant afford an $800 per hour full scale helicopter. There are a good number of drones capable of carrying a heavy enough payload to include a superb camera for spotting, and also a loudspeaker to tell people, "No dont wave at me, there is a great white behind you!"

LOL. Yeah I don't think we yet fully understand just how much drones can do for us as in surveillance, crowd control, policing and even being able to drop you a life vest like the Splash Drone 3 for example. The drone has the potential to save many many lives if it wasn't for all the red tape.

Reactions: Former Member
I'm glad I started off on RC Helis. The skills I built up over the years have been invaluable when flying these sophisticated drones... I still don't understand how noobs can wreck these in beginner mode. The drone does everything for you and will hover if you let go of the sticks. Try that with a flybarless Heli for more than 10 seconds.

Reactions: Jive
I'm glad I started off on RC Helis<........>Try that with a flybarless Heli for more than 10 seconds.

I also started with a rc heli....it didn’t even last 5 seconds. Those were costly but also valuable seconds. I can understand fully well how you can crash the things, even in beginner mode. Having the skills is important but knowing when you don’t have the skills might even be more important!

Reactions: tjadvtx
I'm glad I started off on RC Helis. The skills I built up over the years have been invaluable when flying these sophisticated drones... I still don't understand how noobs can wreck these in beginner mode. The drone does everything for you and will hover if you let go of the sticks. Try that with a flybarless Heli for more than 10 seconds.

This, %100 this! I learned on a Align T-Rex 450, and then moved up to a Raptor .30, therefore when my Spark goes into ATTI mode, I do not freak out. Everyone should learn to fly in ATTI mode, or at least buy a cheap quad without GPS, and learn to fly it. I will say, much as I love these drones, I do miss the adrenaline rush of the helis. Plus, the accomplishment of building an aircraft from a box of parts, taking it on it's first maiden, and bringing it home in one piece!

full (85).jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78