DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Random Photo Filenames When Transfered Over WiFi

Droning on and on...

Reactions
When I transfer my photos using an SD card reader, the filenames follow the standard formatting, (DJI_0001.JPG, DJI_0002.JPG, etc), but when I transfer them over WiF from the aircraft to my mobile device using the Fly app, they have somewhat random names like "org_b32c_f00988119bec_1594140718000.jpg".

The problem is that these names don't appear to represent anything like a timestamp and when the photos are sorted by name, they appear to be complely random. If I sort them by "date modified", they all have a modified time based on the time they were transfered and then they are sorted by this random name, which is almost never the order they were taken.

And then, even if I sort them by "date taken", some of the photos have the same taken date, (it appears they only sort down to the minute), and are again sorted by this random name, which again, is almost never the order they were taken. This is making it hard to work with bracketed exposures as I keep having to check the EXIF data to see the exposure compensation.

Before anyone suggests it, these are not the cached thumbnail files. caching is turned off. These are the full resolution photos and are identical to the the ones transfered from the SD card.

Is there a setting that I'm missing? I really don't like having to pull the SD card after every flight.

Last edited:
If you must use WiFi the problem can be controlled by creating a folder that contains sub folders which you name by date. Then sort the new vids and images manually to the correct subfolder.

Reactions: kidroc
Get used to swapping cards after every flight. That's what everyone else does.
It's faster and makes it easier to remove the older files from the card. And the other benefit of using multiple cards is having a backup for when one fails when you are out in the field. Flash memory has a finite number of write cycles. At some point, the card will start to start to fail. With more than one card, you are extending the life of the card and will have a spare for that one time where the card fails and you out in the middle of nowhere.

Flying back to back flights without swapping cards is also putting all your eggs into a flying basket. If disaster strikes and the drone is unrecoverable, you lose all your data from all the flights instead of just the last flight. Change cards every time you change batteries, and format the new card in the drone before launch for a happy flying experience. Commercial operators would never consider doing otherwise. Take your hints from their learned experience.

It's faster ...
How is removing the card, putting it in a card reader, putting it in the laptop, and copying the files faster than tapping Album>Batch Select> Download in the fly app?

That doesn't really matter or have anything to do with my question. I have only ever used one card, don't really care if I lose a few photos, and there's internal storage that I can use if my card dies in the field.

My question is whether or not I can do anything about the random file names somewhere in the settings or if anyone else is having this issue.

For anyone dealing with this issue, I'm working on a script to monitor the Photo folder and add a timestamp to the filenames as the files show up. I'll post back if I get it working.

Flying back to back flights without swapping cards is also putting all your eggs into a flying basket. If disaster strikes and the drone is unrecoverable, you lose all your data from all the flights instead of just the last flight. Change cards every time you change batteries, and format the new card in the drone before launch for a happy flying experience. Commercial operators would never consider doing otherwise. Take your hints from their learned experience.
TODAY I ran into this. Flew mission number 1 at 9:30 or so, got great images, showed the REALTOR images on my phone. All the while THINKING that the images on the phone have no connection to the drone. WRONGO moosebreath (this is addressed at ME and my stupidity). IF YOU DELETE FILES TO MAKE ROOM ON YOUR PHONE - DO IT WITH THE DRONE TURNED OFF.
If you delete while drone is connected, it will wipe those files off the SD card.
Drone and phone were acting up at the start of mission 2, today. So I pulled the drone down, but left it running. Then I brought up the album and just deleted a handful of batches (clogging my phones circuits). Then back into the air and very responsive. Got all those shots, but the ones I deleted are gone gone gone.

From now on - I'm gonna get a circus full of microSD cards and change 'em with each battery.

Gah!

TODAY I ran into this. Flew mission number 1 at 9:30 or so, got great images, showed the REALTOR images on my phone. All the while THINKING that the images on the phone have no connection to the drone. WRONGO moosebreath (this is addressed at ME and my stupidity). IF YOU DELETE FILES TO MAKE ROOM ON YOUR PHONE - DO IT WITH THE DRONE TURNED OFF.
If you delete while drone is connected, it will wipe those files off the SD card.
Drone and phone were acting up at the start of mission 2, today. So I pulled the drone down, but left it running. Then I brought up the album and just deleted a handful of batches (clogging my phones circuits). Then back into the air and very responsive. Got all those shots, but the ones I deleted are gone gone gone.

From now on - I'm gonna get a circus full of microSD cards and change 'em with each battery.

Gah!
The images you were viewing while connected to the drone are, in fact, only located on the microSD card. Viewing them alone does not actually transfer them to the phone. You have to also actively transfer them to the phone while connected, to retain a copy on the phone, after disconnecting from the drone. So, you, unfortunately, deleted the only copy of each photo located on the microSD card through your phone after viewing them. Lessons learned.

Always have as many microSD cards on hand as you have batteries to fly, and don't delete anything unless you really want them gone gone gone.

Reactions: jeffcutler
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi