DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rant re. DJI FlySafe system + Suggestion for Moderator(s)

Your understanding of the rules for recreational pilots is incorrect. The requirement to notify airports within 5 miles went away with the 2018 Reauthorization Act. Recreational flights are now also governed by airspace, not proximity to airports.
Awesome, thank you for that correction. I do not really follow or keep up with recreational rules as i am always flying under part 107 rules. But yes my conversation with FAA at KPDX was in early 2018 so that was likely the law at the time.

Awesome, thank you for that correction. I do not really follow or keep up with recreational rules as i am always flying under part 107 rules. But yes my conversation with FAA at KPDX was in early 2018 so that was likely the law at the time.

The new regulations came into force in early 2019.

Reactions: AeroMoPho
All this talk about self-unlocking. Can someone please direct me to a reference or You Tube on how I would be able to unlock a zone? I've been flying since June,2018 and have had a few lock outs but just could never figure out from the Mavic Air screen how to unlock or request unlock.

Reactions: AeroMoPho
I live in Yamhill County, outside of Newberg, Oregon. I have flown my M2Zoom many places around the state, sometimes requiring LAANC authorization and sometimes not. I have yet to encounter a problem lifting off. I count myself lucky in this, as I have heard many horror stories, but none as bad as yours!

I do not use a phone to fly but opted for the Smart Controller. Maybe an option for you?

There are just so many wonderful places to fly in Oregon that it would be a shame to not have the stability and technology of the M2 with you. I love flying at the coast and the bird is rock solid over the ocean, winds and all.

Perhaps we can meet up and I can see how my bird reacts in the same areas you are having issues in? PM me if that sounds like a good idea.

Last edited:
I live in Yamhill County, outside of Newberg, Oregon. I have flown my M2Zoom many places around the state, sometimes requiring LAANC authorization and sometimes not. I have yet to encounter a problem lifting off. I count myself lucky in this, as I have heard many horror stories, but none as bad as yours!

I do not use a phone to fly but opted for the Smart Controller. Maybe an option for you?

There are just so many wonderful places to fly in Oregon that it would be a shame to not have the stability and technology of the M2 with you. I love flying at the coast and the bird is rock solid over the ocean, winds and all.

Perhaps we can meet up and I can see how my bird reacts in the same areas you are having issues in? PM me if that sounds like a good idea.
Thank you Gindra. That is very kind of you to offer. My current plan is to keep the kit up for sale while at same time, getting an ipad mini 4th gen or 5th gen and see if that solves the problem. LAANC is not the problem for me and I too have had relatively no problems with LAANC via AirMap. The problem I have is with my interaction with the DJI FlySafe system while using the DJI Go4 app on my iPad Mini 2. I have also had FlySafe problems using my google pixel xl 3, but, in hindsight, those were slightly different problems. The app does seem to work better in my pixel phone, but that particular phone (which I love and use with my 2 other drones) drains the DJI controller in 60 minutes, so I can not use it.

BTW, yes we are so lucky to live where we do. Oregon Coast is an awesome place to fly. I have flown there many times with my trusty and reliable Autel Evo, often in 15mph winds, no problem. I know the M2P will do even better. I hope a newer display w/ better processor/RAM solves this. If I am still having problems with new display in Yamhill County, I will probably take you up on your offer! Thank you. :)

Reactions: Gindra
What happens when you fly into a blue zone unauthorized? Visiting my son in Chattanooga and am literally a 100 yards from the No-Fly around the airport. At takeoff, I’m prompted to get authorization or cancel. I hit cancel and don’t fly there. But what if? Hover, land, RTH, it’s the MM with Fly app
I am still in a zone that requires checking the box to accept responsibility for flight.

What happens when you fly into a blue zone unauthorized? Visiting my son in Chattanooga and am literally a 100 yards from the No-Fly around the airport. At takeoff, I’m prompted to get authorization or cancel. I hit cancel and don’t fly there. But what if? Hover, land, RTH, it’s the MM with Fly app
I am still in a zone that requires checking the box to accept responsibility for flight.
My experience has been this (when the system works as designed) the drone will just stop and you will not be able to fly into that blue zone. It will not RTH. But, I am not sure if one can self-unlock (while hovering there in the air) and proceed further, as i have not attempted this.

Reactions: Capt KO
I'll just stay on my side of the thin blue line. I'm guessing M would Autoland if it crossed into the Blue Airport Circle without permission. Hope I wouldn't get a $20,000 fine. Easier to self unlock if I'm going that way. Heads up ?

Hello fellow Mavic 2 drone operators. Forgive me, but I just gotta rant. I am not asking for answers or help (just ranting)... and making one small suggestion to moderators.

------------begin rant
Rant: For me, I find it difficult explain in clear words how frustrated I am with the dysfunctional, buggy, irrational and illogical the DJI FlySafe system to be during my 1st 6 weeks of M2P ownership. In the last year, prior to owning a DJI drone, I read numerous stories where folks refer to their grounded DJI drones as $2000 paperweights, etc. but I never really took their gripes seriously (I figured these people were probably just not that bright with respect to technology). Long story-short, I am now one of those people! :-( I have gotten this drone off the ground cleanly/uneventfully about 4 times without flysafe/geofencing/no-fly issues, out of about 8-12 attempts, in the last 6 weeks. There are multiple reasons ( again, I am not asking for answers) but the main reason is that the DJI flysafe system truly sucks! Other reasons are: I happen to live in an area with lots of illogical blue auth. zones (much of which is not FAA CONTROLLED airspace) between Salem OR and Portland OR. Also, another reason is perhaps because my app/display is a non-cellular-activated ipad Mini 2 32gb, (which I teather via bluetooth, to my gorgeous but useless [smart-controller-draining] pixel XL phone) seems to be especially prone to Go4 app problems when onsite and teathered to phone and dealing with auth/unlocking issues. Meanwhile, to add to my frustration in my general area (Portland to Salem) there are numerous areas of controlled, class d and even class c airspace that are only considered "enhanced warning zones" by the geniuses at DJI!! I have seen and witnessed clueless recreational DJI pilots flying their Mavic Pros and Phantom 3s, etc. in both class d and even class c controlled airspace, with no legal permission (other than fact that they are not in DJI's red restricted or dopey blue auth. zones when flying)! This is very frustrating to witness as they wrecklessly buzz over the local dog park each week in Salem, in class D airspace and even in class c airspace in a dog park in Southeast Portland with no FAA authorization whatsoever, other than dopey DJI Go4 app saying click here and "be careful" lol! And i can barely get my drone to fly in uncontrolled airspace! Yes, I am new to the DJI ecosystem (just bought M2P 6 weeks ago), but this is my 4th drone...I am no longer a beginner. I am part 107 certified, have a registered business, insurance , I have flown professionally (side hustle only)...I have an engineering degree and a doctoral-level degree and I must say the last 6 weeks have been the most unenjoyable and frustrating aspect of my experience with drones. It really has soured me to DJI, which we all know unquestionably has the overall best prosumer drone technology in the world, if only you can get them to fly. For me, one day it might be fine and the next day/scenario you are locked down and full or bugs depending on various many factors. But the worst is the unpredictability/unreliability of the system which creates un-necessary stress and emotional tension and really sours me to using this drone on professional shoots because i do NOT know what is going to happen. So, my drone is currently for sale (I bought it used from a good friend, and I will probably sell at a small loss due to recent black-friday-related drop in used M2P prices in last month). That said, I will continue to try to forge onward/work out issues, but really the big issue I can't fix, because it is the DJI system itself that is main cause, IMHO. If I do get my price, this baby is gone, gone, gone! We only have so many hours/days/weeks in this brief life of ours and I would rather have a technically-lesser drone (my autel evo experience has been absolutely amazing and pure joy, for example) and the freedom to fly RESPONSIBLY and LAWFULLY (which I am committed to), than waste dozens of life's precious hours trying to find time-consuming/money-consuming workarounds to this irrational, buggy and unpredictable system. Again, my apologies but i just had to spew. Next time, I will tell you how I really feel, Lol.

------------end of rant

On a positive note, I have scoured quite a bit of good and helpful info. re. this topic here on these forums by using the search tool and reading through the various disparate threads (located all over the forums). Thank you again to all of you who selflessly offer your help/expertise here. I genuinely appreciate it!

Suggestion for moderator(s):
I will close by suggesting that the moderator(s) consider making a dedicated sub-forum somewhere for problems specific to DJI's FlySafe System as these problems seem to be a pretty common reason why folks either avoid and/or sell DJI drones.

Thank you.
You should send this to the moron who pushed hard for this GEO crap - Brendan Schulman at DJI: [email protected]

Brett, thank you for your comment. I have owned the Evo for over one year and it is like a child to me, I love it so much. But, as wonderful as it is for the money, as I matured as a pilot and videographer/photographer, I naturally desired to step up to something a bit better so that is why i bought the used M2P when it became available. But yes i am watching for what the Evo 2 will bring too. I must say, I really really was hoping to have that same kind of love affair with this M2P bird as I had with my prior drones (all of which i have truly loved). I have it for sale but I have not completely given up on it. I actually must say I like the build of it very much...and when I can get it in the air, I like the smooth handling the amazing accuracy of landing and stability, among other things. But I have not filmed/photographed enough to have an opinion of it due to the whole FlySafe fiasco taking a big dump on what really should be a burgeoning love affair in the early relationship between pilot and drone. I don't believe in having regrets but def. would not have purchased this M2P if news of Evo 2 had already been out 6+ weeks ago. Cheers.
I agree about the no regrets. I'm rather dissapointed with the M2P (geo-fencing and camera not the bird itself) which was my introduction to drones but it did get me started and through that discovered FPV and I'm hooked on that. I live in a restricted zone and there really isn't anywhere nearby to fly the M2P but I fly my little whoops just about daily either inside or outside. This one is less than 60 grams with battery...

Last edited:
I agree to notification of any kind is needed near an airport not in controlled airspace, but flying within an airport's approach path can be risky and that's probably why DJI has them as authorization zones: gets the pilot to look both ways before crossing the street.
Enhanced warning might have been more appropriate but then some airports in G space are busier than others.

To self-unlock blue zones on site through the app, attempt motor start, follow prompts. Not yet available on Fly.
Any phone number that can receive a timely text message can be used.
The check boxes can be hard to see.

For the very reasons discussed here at length I purchased a Xioami FIMI X8 and it doesn't have those restrictions. I have 5 DJI Drones and eventually got totally fed up. The Xiaomi FIMI X8 has been used in many locations that were otherwise inaccessible for simply the wrong reasons. For only $400 it was the answer that I was looking for. I find myself using a $400 drone for almost half the time I now fly. And I have to tell you it's a terrific drone and to my surprise I found that I really do not need all of those expensive sensors for conservative flights.

Last edited:
I teach drone flight at 3 different universities in SoCal, we probably have more controlled airspace in a small area than any section of the country. One of my colleges is in controlled airspace and we have to get LAANC and DJI UnLocks for up to 10 DJI drones at a time. I teach my students the correct way to do it, which tools to use, and how to get an unlock both out in the field and before they leave for a flight. They Never have had a problem. I suggest as I always do, actual hands on education is priceless. Personally anything that might 'slow down' pilots that can hurt all of us is not a bad thing.

I teach drone flight at 3 different universities in SoCal, we probably have more controlled airspace in a small area than any section of the country. One of my colleges is in controlled airspace and we have to get LAANC and DJI UnLocks for up to 10 DJI drones at a time. I teach my students the correct way to do it, which tools to use, and how to get an unlock both out in the field and before they leave for a flight. They Never have had a problem. I suggest as I always do, actual hands on education is priceless. Personally anything that might 'slow down' pilots that can hurt all of us is not a bad thing.
Good for you and good for your students they are so lucky to have you I am sure. I can only re-iterate and remind you (and you can choose to believe me or not) the problem here is NOT the user (me). I know how to work with the very-flawed DJI flysafe system, especially after as much communication with them as I have had. My main problem is not that I do not know how to use the system, the problem is that the flysafe geomapping system has some serious problems and bugs (in certain areas!). Also, I believe you really did not read my post very carefully as my issues have NOTHING to do with flying in FAA controlled airspace. I have flown professionally in controlled airspace legally many times with proper authorization via LAANC et al with my non-DJI drones. That is not my issue. The issue I ranted about above is for UNCONTROLLED, class G airspace wherein the problems occur within (inappropriately-designated, IMHO) DJI's so-called "authorization" (Blue) and "Warning" (Yellow) zones. But thanks for you letting us all know how well you are doing and how expert you are. Cheers.

Reactions: brettbrandon
I live under PDX airspace and was unhappy with not even being able to test fly my M2P in the house initially. I have now flown near some smaller airports that brought up the caution window. Once acknowledging I understood I was able to fly.

Pittock Mansion, the wreck of the Peter Iredale, Multnomah Falls, Cape Kiwanda and Sand Lake area have been my go to spots for practice the last couple months.

I believe it was a location just NE of the wreck, still on the beach that gave me the caution for Astoria Regional Airport.

I have not used the LAANC system yet, but intend to at some point to test it out. No Part 107 yet, but I do have my Private Pilots License.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1571022777437.jpg
    FB_IMG_1571022777437.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
  • FB_IMG_1569082536860.jpg
    FB_IMG_1569082536860.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 8
  • FB_IMG_1571022762526.jpg
    FB_IMG_1571022762526.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 8
The thing is, a novice can get into just as much trouble in G space as they can in controlled space. Runway approaches and TFRs for example. A novice may have no clue that an airport is nearby. Having the blue zones in these circumstances helps in making them very aware.

Now does an approach path have to be protected all the way out 5 miles? I don't think so, but even the FAA disagrees with me based on the 0 ceiling on the entire approach path for 5 miles at even D class airspace.

And TFRs can pop up in any airspace. Airmap and Kittyhawk doesn't seem to cover them at all except for the more permanent ones so at least DJI is helping in having the novice aware of them.

Hello fellow Mavic 2 drone operators. Forgive me, but I just gotta rant. I am not asking for answers or help (just ranting)... and making one small suggestion to moderators.

------------begin rant
Rant: For me, I find it difficult explain in clear words how frustrated I am with the dysfunctional, buggy, irrational and illogical the DJI FlySafe system to be during my 1st 6 weeks of M2P ownership. In the last year, prior to owning a DJI drone, I read numerous stories where folks refer to their grounded DJI drones as $2000 paperweights, etc. but I never really took their gripes seriously (I figured these people were probably just not that bright with respect to technology). Long story-short, I am now one of those people! :-( I have gotten this drone off the ground cleanly/uneventfully about 4 times without flysafe/geofencing/no-fly issues, out of about 8-12 attempts, in the last 6 weeks. There are multiple reasons ( again, I am not asking for answers) but the main reason is that the DJI flysafe system truly sucks! Other reasons are: I happen to live in an area with lots of illogical blue auth. zones (much of which is not FAA CONTROLLED airspace) between Salem OR and Portland OR. Also, another reason is perhaps because my app/display is a non-cellular-activated ipad Mini 2 32gb, (which I teather via bluetooth, to my gorgeous but useless [smart-controller-draining] pixel XL phone) seems to be especially prone to Go4 app problems when onsite and teathered to phone and dealing with auth/unlocking issues. Meanwhile, to add to my frustration in my general area (Portland to Salem) there are numerous areas of controlled, class d and even class c airspace that are only considered "enhanced warning zones" by the geniuses at DJI!! I have seen and witnessed clueless recreational DJI pilots flying their Mavic Pros and Phantom 3s, etc. in both class d and even class c controlled airspace, with no legal permission (other than fact that they are not in DJI's red restricted or dopey blue auth. zones when flying)! This is very frustrating to witness as they wrecklessly buzz over the local dog park each week in Salem, in class D airspace and even in class c airspace in a dog park in Southeast Portland with no FAA authorization whatsoever, other than dopey DJI Go4 app saying click here and "be careful" lol! And i can barely get my drone to fly in uncontrolled airspace! Yes, I am new to the DJI ecosystem (just bought M2P 6 weeks ago), but this is my 4th drone...I am no longer a beginner. I am part 107 certified, have a registered business, insurance , I have flown professionally (side hustle only)...I have an engineering degree and a doctoral-level degree and I must say the last 6 weeks have been the most unenjoyable and frustrating aspect of my experience with drones. It really has soured me to DJI, which we all know unquestionably has the overall best prosumer drone technology in the world, if only you can get them to fly. For me, one day it might be fine and the next day/scenario you are locked down and full or bugs depending on various many factors. But the worst is the unpredictability/unreliability of the system which creates un-necessary stress and emotional tension and really sours me to using this drone on professional shoots because i do NOT know what is going to happen. So, my drone is currently for sale (I bought it used from a good friend, and I will probably sell at a small loss due to recent black-friday-related drop in used M2P prices in last month). That said, I will continue to try to forge onward/work out issues, but really the big issue I can't fix, because it is the DJI system itself that is main cause, IMHO. If I do get my price, this baby is gone, gone, gone! We only have so many hours/days/weeks in this brief life of ours and I would rather have a technically-lesser drone (my autel evo experience has been absolutely amazing and pure joy, for example) and the freedom to fly RESPONSIBLY and LAWFULLY (which I am committed to), than waste dozens of life's precious hours trying to find time-consuming/money-consuming workarounds to this irrational, buggy and unpredictable system. Again, my apologies but i just had to spew. Next time, I will tell you how I really feel, Lol.

------------end of rant

On a positive note, I have scoured quite a bit of good and helpful info. re. this topic here on these forums by using the search tool and reading through the various disparate threads (located all over the forums). Thank you again to all of you who selflessly offer your help/expertise here. I genuinely appreciate it!

Suggestion for moderator(s):
I will close by suggesting that the moderator(s) consider making a dedicated sub-forum somewhere for problems specific to DJI's FlySafe System as these problems seem to be a pretty common reason why folks either avoid and/or sell DJI drones.

Thank you.
If you email support after getting turned down to fly somewhere they will fix it. It is very simple.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78