DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rats! I just lost my M4P. 'Pitch angle too large'

K7KY

Reactions
Flying back home @ 300' in reverse, filming fireworks. Very near home I suddenly get red warning, 'Pitch angle too large' and after that I had no control. It appears to be down about 200yrds from home-point in the forest. Hopefully I can find it tomorrow in dense steep woods. What would cause sudden pitch angle error? I don't think I've any control over pitch. I hope it can be located; I should have great fireworks over the harbor video. I'd appreciate your thoughts on what may have caused the pitch angle malfunction. All parameters were normal prior to flight, operating in Normal mode.

Flying back home @ 300' in reverse, filming fireworks. Very near home I suddenly get red warning, 'Pitch angle too large' and after that I had no control. It appears to be down about 200yrds from home-point in the forest. Hopefully I can find it tomorrow in dense steep woods. What would cause sudden pitch angle error? I don't think I've any control over pitch. I hope it can be located; I should have great fireworks over the harbor video. I'd appreciate your thoughts on what may have caused the pitch angle malfunction. All parameters were normal prior to flight, operating in Normal mode.
Full speed rearward pitch? I'll bet you a buck you encountered a tailwind gust while your drone had its arse in the air.

What would cause sudden pitch angle error? ... I'd appreciate your thoughts on what may have caused the pitch angle malfunction.
When you want to find out what happened, the first step is almost always to post your recorded flight data.
Without that you'll only get guesses (like the first reply here) and most are going to be wrong (like the first reply here).

The flight data would show whether that message appeared in flight or after a crash.
It could explain exactly what happened or give some clues and also help identify a likely search area.

To post your flight data there are a couple of options ...

1. Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report on the flight data.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides and someone might be able to analyse it and give you an understanding of the cause of the incident.
or
2. Just post the .txt file here
or
3. If you use Airdata, you can view the flight data on Airdata and post a link for the Airdata report

If you are using one of the controllers with an integrated screen, the txt files are to be found here:
Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord

Last edited:
Reactions: DoomMeister
Full speed rearward pitch? I'll bet you a buck you encountered a tailwind gust while your drone had its arse in the air.
Go for a test flight and try flying backwards where you can watch it.
Is the drone's tail up or down?

Encountering a tailwind while flying full speed backwards would affect the drone the same way encountering a headwind while flying forwards.
Neither would cause a pitch angle too large warning.

You can send that dollar to .....

Go for a test flight and try flying backwards where you can watch it.
Is the drone's tail up or down?

Encountering a tailwind while flying full speed backwards would affect the drone the same way encountering a headwind while flying forwards.
Neither would cause a pitch angle too large warning.

You can send that dollar to .....
Do you know that you're the only contributor on this forum that features on my ignore list? All I see is "... you are ignoring content from this member...".. I daresay I'm not missing much other than arrogance, bombast and sniping.

You could have hit something in the dark. What MODE where you in? To me a pitch angle to large error is kind of stupid...Pitch angle is how we fly To large just means I'm being aggressive BUT you got the warning So hmmm. you hit something? You caught a gust of wind in the opposite direction? ( It is true that your drone really has no front side or backside in reality. Flying "backwards" is simply flying in another direction and the there is no Difference to the drone in flight. A gust of wind would be a reasonable idea BUT I don't think a gust of wind would actually Down the drone. ( it is possible).
I think you had a midair with something or lost a prop.

Last edited:
Reactions: AeroJ
I don't think a gust of wind would actually Down the drone.
That's correct, despite what someone above suggested, a strong wind won't bring a drone down.
Flying backwards into an obstacle is one possibility and the recorded data would show whether that's what happened.

Post the FlightLog data as suggested by @Meta4 and others. This allows the data to be read by those on the forum that are very experienced in doing so and you will get the best idea of what happened and where the aircraft may be located.

Thanks for all the input. My wife is searching now. I've little experience with flight logs. . This was my 1st flight with Plus battery and 1st flight after DJI firmware upgrade. All parameters were normal @ preflight. Max elevation was set @ 397', mode Normal. Drone was nearly Home when 'Pitch warning' appeared. I tried RTH, but control was lost. This occurred just b4 reaching Home where the trees are no taller than 150'. Drone appears to be down in the woods (private property) a couple hundred yards up hill from Home. Until I can read my log I'm uncertain as to drone elevation @ loss, but I think it was around 300'. I'll learn to read the log and provide more info. I appreciate your input.

Reactions: Starz
Thanks for all the input. My wife is searching now. I've little experience with flight logs. . This was my 1st flight with Plus battery
Ahhh the use of the plus battery might add a layer of complications, have a read of

Until I can read my log I'm uncertain as to drone elevation @ loss, but I think it was around 300'. I'll learn to read the log and provide more info.
It would be better to post the raw data, via the method suggest in this thread, rather than posting your interpretation of it, no offence intended.

I don't have a cellphone. I've reviewed the logfile with the RC2. It shows all the warnings during the flight except the RED Pitch warning just b4 reaching Home when control was lost. Wind was calm. Return flight was @ 300' and still 300' passing Home. Crash position = 270'. Obviously, drone continued on return path after loss of control until it hit something on the hillside. Probably trees. This area is currently being logged and much of the area is covered with slash, much the same color as the drone. My wife is heading out again. Her phone indicates she's close, but the area is steep with a mess of down trees and slash. She has a convoluted uphill MTB ride to reach this area.

I don't have a cellphone. I've reviewed the logfile with the RC2. It shows all the warnings during the flight except the RED Pitch warning just b4 reaching Home when control was lost. Wind was calm. Return flight was @ 300' and still 300' passing Home. Crash position = 270'. Obviously, drone continued on return path after loss of control until it hit something on the hillside. Probably trees. This area is currently being logged and much of the area is covered with slash, much the same color as the drone. My wife is heading out again. Her phone indicates she's close, but the area is steep with a mess of down trees and slash. She has a convoluted uphill MTB ride to reach this area.

If you want to get to the root of the problem, post the log file. There are several people on the forum who are wizards at sorting out what happened. They're often able to provide hints about the likely end point of the flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jageist