DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC brightness level is 700 nits... NOT as good as RC Pro

Does the Mini 3 PRO Smart controller have an HDMI out port, like the original SC does?
They never claim or advertise it to be a "SMART"controller. It's just a controller with a screen and without the many bells and whistles of the "Smart"controller. I think the issue is most everyone is comparing this way uinder $300 controller ($909-$669=$240) with the $1000-$1200 Smart controllers. Seems to just be a RC231/RC-N1 with a lower end display attached. It is very limited in function vs. Smart controllers. The much less amount of onboard RAM 32K vs 8K limits it a lot even if someone hacks it so you can get access to the O/S. (IMO of course). DJI simply calls it the DJI-RC.They will want those who want "smart" to buy the $1200 version. :)

@RetiredInFL
Please don't confuse: the first RC WITH screen was called Smart Controller (abbreviated SC). Its successor is now called RC Pro.
This later with screen but without Pro now features a good compromise that will do the job just fine for flying the drone imho.

I've have never put any additional apps on my original SC except Litchi (which unfortunately never really stood out for my purposes against DJI Fly). For what DJI charges, it's a fair product comparing with the RC Pro, which costs as much as the Mini 3 Pro with the RC (screen). ;)

@RetiredInFL
Please don't confuse: the first RC WITH screen was called Smart Controller (abbreviated SC). Its successor is now called RC Pro.
This later with screen but without Pro now features a good compromise that will do the job just fine for flying the drone imho.

I've have never put any additional apps on my original SC except Litchi (which unfortunately never really stood out for my purposes against DJI Fly). For what DJI charges, it's a fair product comparing with the RC Pro, which costs as much as the Mini 3 Pro with the RC (screen). ;)

Basically I didn’t and I agreed. Please reread my post. I said exactly what you did. However the original SC vs the new RC-PRO are just generational upgrades like going from an iPhone 12 to an iPhone 14. Basically Same product updated. The Mini 3 RC is a totally different animal for a totally different market. I had the original SC for about a week and it was basically a total Android tablet with tiny screen. It did almost everything the newer pro does including running Litchi but this new RC Controller with tiny screen is just that. A controller with a tiny screen with much less “power” and features.

Reactions: pommy and Torque
Ok, the reviews are in. The new RC controller is 700 nits of brightness which is well below the brightness level of all the previous screen controllers DJI has released (including Smart Controller, RC Pro etc.) which were 1000+ or more nits. Most cellphones introduced in the last 12-24 months also tend to have peak brightness above 750+. The initial reviews say the RC screen is still great and bright enough (at least as honest as the "influencers" who got this early can be) but the RC Pro is still better.

Also the Mini 3 Pro is not compatible with the RC Pro right now. It remains to be seen if DJI will update the RC Pro to support it (I suspect they will but it always takes months...)
According to dpreview "The DJI RC Pro remote, introduced with the Mavic 3 series, is also compatible" although I don't see this on the specs for the mini 3 pro or RC Pro remote.

As a Mavic 3 and RC Pro owner I would expect DJI to make the RC Pro remote compatible with the mini 3 "pro". If they don't it will be a travesty. If they do I would probably get the mini 3 pro for travel and situations where sub 249g is safer. DJI are you listening to your customers.. I hope so.
They made S2 backward (ocusync 3) compatible to smart controller, which is oczync 2. I don’t know why the didn’t make the new RC Pro capable of controlling air 2, S2, Mini 3s on and on. Wouldn’t mind sending the money for a control That does it all. Right now the smart controller I spent big buck for is very limited, but I love using it. 1000 nits matters

Does anyone know how Samsung AMOLED screen brightness compares to this? I have Galaxy Z Fold 3 which lists max brightness at 1200 nits, but I don't believe that is realistic or maybe it actually is.
I finally got my Galaxy S22 Ultra yesterday, its huge and bright. Definitely phablet size. After accidentally getting in a screen brightness debate last week, from research I learned that I had been doing it wrong all along. You must have adaptive brightness on the screen or it maxes out at only about 800NITs. The vendors do this to protect you from eye strain from staring at an overly bright screen.
With adaptive brightness even my old S10 goes from 800 to 1000 NITs in the sun. The S22 Ultra - 1266NITs sustained according to GSMARENA web site tests, 1750 peak according to the manufacturer. (I'm not spending $400 for a tester so I'll trust an objective test web site).

After my usual checklist the first thing I do is look for an area that has shade AND I can see my drone. Yesterday I could stand in direct bright sunlight and see it fine. Not sure if other phone vendors, or even the controllers have an adaptive brightness option too. Pain in the butt when looking at the screen inside when its dark, but in the sunlight its amazing. Will definitely turn that on from now one when flying outside in the daytime.

Reactions: Slawaw and jedi2155
It adds only $150. $759 vs. $909.
Yes, but it adds only $240 to the "bare, no controller" drone. So basically, one is paying only $240 for it vs. no controller. $909-$669=$240 which is more the reason there is no comparison to the actual "SMART" controllers. The MINI 3 was never advertised or even suggested to be a "smart" controller by DJI (and it isn't).

Ok, the reviews are in. The new RC controller is 700 nits of brightness which is well below the brightness level of all the previous screen controllers DJI has released (including Smart Controller, RC Pro etc.) which were 1000+ or more nits. Most cellphones introduced in the last 12-24 months also tend to have peak brightness above 750+. The initial reviews say the RC screen is still great and bright enough (at least as honest as the "influencers" who got this early can be) but the RC Pro is still better.

Also the Mini 3 Pro is not compatible with the RC Pro right now. It remains to be seen if DJI will update the RC Pro to support it (I suspect they will but it always takes months...)
I asked a representative at Drone Nerds yesterday if this RC would be compatible with other DJI drones. He wasn't yet sure. Does anyone know yet if this RC will be compatible with other DJI drones?

I asked a representative at Drone Nerds yesterday if this RC would be compatible with other DJI drones. He wasn't yet sure. Does anyone know yet if this RC will be compatible with other DJI drones?

Over on the DJI forum, a DJI rep replied with the below:

1652297302159.png

No one knows. I think it’s fair to say that much like the RC-N1 controller that was introduced with the Air 2 over two years again and then became the “standard” of new DJI drones moving forward I expect the SAME thing to happen with this new RC controller. I suspect every NEW DJI camera drone for the next few years (Air 3 etc.) will be supported at launch. I have doubts older drones will be supported but it could happen for the Air 2S, Mavic 3 etc. but we shall see.

It adds only $150. $759 vs. $909.
well that’s $150 more than the one with the regular controller. The value of that regular controller is $90 more than the No controller version making the value of the screen controller $240.

Reactions: MS Coast
That does suck. iPhone 13 pro is 800 nits outside with 1200 peak for HDR, however, when in direct sunlight, 800 was only for a few minutes after which it would heat up and go below that. If the 700 nits is for an hour then it’s okay with me
Most phones with high brightness are also using OLED screens and going from my Note8 which had a 1000+ nit screen peak brightness ended up staining the screen with the imprints from DJI Go 4 which I can still see to this day when using the phone. Thats the one downside of OLED screens.

Reactions: test2000Anafi
The reviews say no, it does not have an HDMI output.
Hmm this is making me think twice, I actually want this as I like hooking the Smart RC to TV or non-DJI goggles if flying FPV for fun. Would like to see the RC Pro at least get Mini 3 support so can be used on other drones.

I finally got my Galaxy S22 Ultra yesterday, its huge and bright. Definitely phablet size. After accidentally getting in a screen brightness debate last week, from research I learned that I had been doing it wrong all along. You must have adaptive brightness on the screen or it maxes out at only about 800NITs. The vendors do this to protect you from eye strain from staring at an overly bright screen.
With adaptive brightness even my old S10 goes from 800 to 1000 NITs in the sun. The S22 Ultra - 1266NITs sustained according to GSMARENA web site tests, 1750 peak according to the manufacturer. (I'm not spending $400 for a tester so I'll trust an objective test web site).

After my usual checklist the first thing I do is look for an area that has shade AND I can see my drone. Yesterday I could stand in direct bright sunlight and see it fine. Not sure if other phone vendors, or even the controllers have an adaptive brightness option too. Pain in the butt when looking at the screen inside when its dark, but in the sunlight its amazing. Will definitely turn that on from now one when flying outside in the daytime.

Thank you for this. Another analysis I did yesterday was regarding actual available screensize between the RC / RC Pro (5.5" diagonal at 16:9 ratio) vs. an iPhone 12, iPhone 13 Pro Max, S22 Ultra, and my Z Fold 3.

For reference Screen Real estate::
1652301737745.png

Reactions: Xitor
Recently bought a Galaxy S53 (800 nit) brightest screen I've ever had. Flying in direct sun without a shield for the first time. With adaptive it hasn't dimmed yet in Florida sun. Faster setup compared to mini 5 tablet and shield. Bit smaller but huge compared to old (dim, slow) phone.

Reactions: Xitor
I believe you are referring to ND filters? DJI has stated they are making ones (that aren't out yet) and 3rd parties surely will. The Mini 3 Pro has a twist off front to the lens, much like the Mavic 3, and it is likely the ND filters will use the same secure system to attach. It should be very solid and straightforward and not involve clipping a filter ON to the lens which is difficult on some drones.
No not the ND filters, it’s a plastic clip on hood that shades the both sides of the lens, it protrudes out slightly beyond the camera, thus also giving it some protection.
The are pretty common, I have one for my M2Z, and one on my Mini 2

Reactions: Torque
I wonder why it has two USB-C ports? It's got one under the cover and one to the side of it.

Surely the RC Pro beats the RC ...
Coming from the SC bundled with the M2P I am still happy to get a decent replacement at an affordable price with the new Mini 3.

Still a shame what DJI did with the SC but I don't see the RC Pro being worth ~ EUR 1,000 for the benefits tbh.
Is there a place I can find all the acronyms, like tbh, that true texters know. I have no idea what tbh means. Am I the only one?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest