DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Controller Update

Mr500CM

Reactions
DJI has released the new RC 2 controller with several including external antennas. Wouldn’t it be great if DJI would allow you to send your controller in for a retro fit upgrade to take advantage of this improvement?

Chances are due to the difference in Ocusync, it not going to be compatible with previous models

That could be updated but I’m more in line with the external antennas.
I am not sure at this point whether previous RC models have the needed hardware to support the version of Ocusync they installed in the RC 2, it may be more than just a software update.

Or like any other manufacturer of controllers at least sell me the parts to upgrade my older controllers
I am not aware of upgrades for previous generation controllers that would make them compatible with newer models. If someone does that, nice.. however , have never seen it..

I am not aware of upgrades for previous generation controllers that would make them compatible with newer models. If someone does that, nice.. however , have never seen it..
Futaba-Spectrum-RadioMaster-TBS- and many others will sell you simple hardware upgrades that can be installed in your older model controllers. its a simple thing to do but you won't sell near as many of the new model controllers if they offer that Plus you would need to have someone that can solder install it for you. DJI Does not offer this simple solution but why?

It's 2023 and I would have thought the world would be at this stage by now but sadly I have to say we are nowhere close. Unfortunately not in our lifetimes will we have this opportunity of a regular basis. I understand there are rare instances here and there but for the most part, you're never going to be able easily and competitively upgrade or modify or customize your consumer electronics in this fashion. I would love to but most consumers don't want it and are certainly not demanding it, so why would manufacturers do this? For now, this is only open to the select few you have the knowledge and the skills.

We've been talking about the software defined equipment forever as well....not going to happen. ie. you buy a mini 3 base for $199 and you get the rest depending on what you pay for: se = $400, pro = $600, extended battery life = $20, 8k camera = $50, 4k = $25, 2.7k = free......whenever you are ready for the advanced package, you pay $175 for waypoints/mastershots/follow-me. By 2099, there will be hundreds of packages to choose from from features to warranties to compatibility....you can even pay to remove the 95mph governor.

Reactions: Cafguy
It's 2023 and I would have thought the world would be at this stage by now but sadly I have to say we are nowhere close. Unfortunately not in our lifetimes will we have this opportunity of a regular basis. I understand there are rare instances here and there but for the most part, you're never going to be able easily and competitively upgrade or modify or customize your consumer electronics in this fashion. I would love to but most consumers don't want it and are certainly not demanding it, so why would manufacturers do this? For now, this is only open to the select few you have the knowledge and the skills.

We've been talking about the software defined equipment forever as well....not going to happen. ie. you buy a mini 3 base for $199 and you get the rest depending on what you pay for: se = $400, pro = $600, extended battery life = $20, 8k camera = $50, 4k = $25, 2.7k = free......whenever you are ready for the advanced package, you pay $175 for waypoints/mastershots/follow-me. By 2099, there will be hundreds of packages to choose from from features to warranties to compatibility....you can even pay to remove the 95mph governor.
I believe you are 100% correct And while I can fault DJI for not doing these things . I can see why they wouldn't. I still think they make a fantastic product but this inability to " customize" or simply make things more "versatile" to ones own use easily is one of the things I can see really hurting DJI in the long run.

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
There's a newer, much faster processor inside, too! This isn't just minor tweak to the DJI RC.

DJI has released the new RC 2 controller with several including external antennas. Wouldn’t it be great if DJI would allow you to send your controller in for a retro fit upgrade to take advantage of this improvement?
I don't think so! DJI Wants you to buy a new one! You can always sell your for $200 and used that money to buy the new updated one.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman