DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC disconnect, did not RTH. Good thing a tree stopped it...

WilmotCheater

Reactions
Hello,

Shortly after takeoff, my drone disconnected from the RC. Rather than initiate RTH (which is what it is set to do in the event of disconnect), it maintained flight path at time of disconnect and flew into a tree. I was less than 20 yards from the drone when this happened, and I had no control during this time.

All 4 propellers are broken, but otherwise everything seems still to function properly, according to the aircraft status screen. I was able to upload the flight log txt file to phantomhelp.com, but it gives me no indication of what went wrong. I do NOT have DJI Refresh Care, but I'm hoping that this might be covered under warranty, since there was literally nothing I could do but watch in horror?

Before trying to deal with DJI Support, I thought I would reach out to you all here to see if anyone has any experience or knows the best way to go about this.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
If all that was broke was the props, there is no need to make a Refresh claim until you have more information. What type of Mavic were you flying?

Most of the time when people make these "disconnected" posts as their first post, we later find out that the DJI Go4 app just quit. (The phone or tablet IS NOT the remote control, it is a display.), and the remote control was still connected fine. That is why the RTH does not engage.
Then the pilot crashes the drone flying blind without a clue that they are actually still in control.
Post your flight log and will might be able to figure it out.

Most of the time when people make these "disconnected" posts as their first post, we later find out that the DJI Go4 app just quit. (The phone or tablet IS NOT the remote control, it is a display.), and the remote control was still connected fine. That is why the RTH does not engage.
Then the pilot crashes the drone flying blind without a clue that they are actually still in control.
Post your flight log and will might be able to figure it out.
I get that, however, this was definitely not the case. The drone was right in front of me, and I was watching it the whole time. It just stopped responding, and a couple seconds later hit the tree. Here is a link to the flight log:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
Not sure if that's what you are looking for, as there doesn't appear to be anything that might indicate what went wrong...

And just to clarify, it is a Mavic 2 Pro, and I'm not all that concerned about the propellers. I just want to figure out what caused this in the first place; I'm just glad it was a tree that stopped it and not something that could sue me.

Poor GPS signal (only a few ft off the ground)

View attachment 52903

Data analysis with Airdata
One thing to take into consideration is that when drone is within 60 feet of launch position and RTH or lost signal is ac tivated then drone doe not RTH but just lands where it is.
Well its meant too, maybe M2 has a bug and instead of landing in this senario, it just flys off as its confused on what it is meant to do. Just a thought.
Try recreation of problem by being further away then turn off RC. If RTH okay then do again with drone inside(only 30 to 50 feet away) and turn off RC. Try in open feild and be ready to turn on RC for reconnect and get back control.

So does anyone have any experience in dealing with DJI support? If I send them the DAT file, will they be able to tell me why the random disconnect, and will they then do something to correct it? From what I've read, their customer service is not very helpful...

So does anyone have any experience in dealing with DJI support? If I send them the DAT file, will they be able to tell me why the random disconnect, and will they then do something to correct it? From what I've read, their customer service is not very helpful...
post it here (may need to upload it to a file cloud service) or rename it to .txt instead of .DAT

So DJI does not have anyway for the user to view detailed flight logs. I was on the Support chat and they said I have to use a 3rd party app or website. But they don't recommend any... And the file is encrypted... So in reality only DJI has the ability to determine what the cause is, and thereby determine who is responsible for damage... How convenient.

Reactions: SpinItUp
It's possible to use the DAT files from the 1st gen MP. Which may have been what your chat Support was suggesting.
erm! yes, reality kinda sux sometimes.
Edit; 4 props is no biggy
I chewed a few props when I first flew mine.

It's possible to use the DAT files from the 1st gen MP. Which may have been what your chat Support was suggesting.
erm! yes, reality kinda sux sometimes.
Edit; 4 props is no biggy
I chewed a few props when I first flew mine.
Yeah, I have the props in my shopping cart. I'm not so concerned about the props, but just want to know what happened, and how to prevent this in the future. It's hard to fly safely when you suddenly can't control what your drone is doing.

Thanks to all for taking the time to try and help. I will send the file off to DJI and see what they determine, and keep you all posted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cubesinfotech