DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Pro Sunshade

rexster1505

Reactions
I came from a Phantom 4 Pro +. I was totally fine with the controller as the screen could be tilted to accommodate the sun. Going to the RC Pro, which I love btw, is taking some getting used to with the fixed screen. Flying with it at the angle that's comfortable in my hands often results in terrible glare on the screen. I popped for one of those silicone covers with a built-in sunshade and it arrived today. 20220507_184555.jpg
It's pretty tight, and not aligned properly, but I'll see how it does in the next couple of days. I know the sunshade itself will work as I walked around outside. Might get a hair dryer tomorrow and moosh it around. The sticks have full movement as it is.

If you are still getting glare on the screen of the RC-Pro, the screen brightness clearly isn't turned up high enough. Max it out. No sunshade or silicone cover ever needed!

If you are still getting glare on the screen of the RC-Pro, the screen brightness clearly isn't turned up high enough. Max it out. No sunshade or silicone cover ever needed!
There's only one adjustment for brightness, correct?

I keep reading about "Outdoor Mode" for the controller. Where is that setting?
I haven't found anything so far

I keep reading about "Outdoor Mode" for the controller. Where is that setting?
I haven't found anything so far
Haven't found that one either.
"In Outdoor mode, the image display will be automatically enhanced and optimized so that details are still clearly visible, even under direct sunlight."
However, that may just be the "Auto Brightness" setting on the right.
B462836E-BF90-46BB-B607-9171FE2089FF.jpeg

So did some testing today. Took of the sunshade and then took off the tempered glass screen saver that I had put on before I ever flew with the controller. Realized that the screen protector wasn't exactly crystal clear and was diffusing the RC Pro's screen.

So did some testing today. Took of the sunshade and then took off the tempered glass screen saver that I had put on before I ever flew with the controller. Realized that the screen protector wasn't exactly crystal clear and was diffusing the RC Pro's screen.
The screen protector is also reducing the touch sensitivity of the screen, which is already less than stellar when "going commando" style!

I came from a Phantom 4 Pro +. I was totally fine with the controller as the screen could be tilted to accommodate the sun. Going to the RC Pro, which I love btw, is taking some getting used to with the fixed screen. Flying with it at the angle that's comfortable in my hands often results in terrible glare on the screen. I popped for one of those silicone covers with a built-in sunshade and it arrived today. View attachment 147901
It's pretty tight, and not aligned properly, but I'll see how it does in the next couple of days. I know the sunshade itself will work as I walked around outside. Might get a hair dryer tomorrow and moosh it around. The sticks have full movement as it is.
Thanks for the report. I've seen those on Amazon but didn't like the fact that the hood/shade doesn't collapse easily for storage. Looking for a easily removable solution for various lighting situations.

I wonder if this Hoodman designed for the Smart Controller would fit?

Thanks for the report. I've seen those on Amazon but didn't like the fact that the hood/shade doesn't collapse easily for storage. Looking for a easily removable solution for various lighting situations.

I wonder if this Hoodman designed for the Smart Controller would fit?
I looked at that one, but don't want to put my hand through a slot to tap the screen.

Reactions: Ridgeback65
Best solution is to turn up the screen brightness on the RC-Pro up to maximum, using the Back button and the left scroll wheel.

I also use a Phantom 4 Pro, with an Ipad mini and a couple of hood types. It works great because the display can be tilted, which is actually more important with a hood since it narrows the angle of view.

I also want to use a hood with the RC Pro, but so far nothing looks practical. Bottom line though, unless someone offers an adjustable angle design, I'm dealing with holding the controller at potentially awkward angles to see the entire screen. I also want a design that packs down to something small and flat as possible. Full brightness doesn't always work either, so I'm often piloting from under shade or a vehicle. In southern AZ, that's pretty much how I plan any daytime flight anyways.

I also use a Phantom 4 Pro, with an Ipad mini and a couple of hood types. It works great because the display can be tilted, which is actually more important with a hood since it narrows the angle of view.

I also want to use a hood with the RC Pro, but so far nothing looks practical. Bottom line though, unless someone offers an adjustable angle design, I'm dealing with holding the controller at potentially awkward angles to see the entire screen. I also want a design that packs down to something small and flat as possible. Full brightness doesn't always work either, so I'm often piloting from under shade or a vehicle. In southern AZ, that's pretty much how I plan any daytime flight anyways.
Hopefully DJI or some of the 3rd party folks will soon come up with something good!

Reactions: Debaser_AZ

Sounds like you already have the best solution: fly from under shade or a vehicle.

Sounds like you already have the best solution: fly from under shade or a vehicle.
Hiking into a remote location with no shade is not uncommon around here, so the best solution isn't always available. Hoods have been very helpful, I'll continue to use them with a RC Pro if an adjustable folding design is offered. So far 1000 nits is pretty good, but the glare in full sun negates all that.

Hiking into a remote location with no shade is not uncommon around here, so the best solution isn't always available. Hoods have been very helpful, I'll continue to use them with a RC Pro if an adjustable folding design is offered. So far 1000 nits is pretty good, but the glare in full sun negates all that.

These inexpensive Mifashion Fishing Umbrella Hats work great for shade on the go!
They are collapsible and fold up really small, too! Only $14, with free Prime shipping.
Surely, you can overlook the dork factor, if you are all alone in a remote location. 🤣

BD2E50D4-3C77-4ACC-992D-0E68AE4D84C7.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Haha
These inexpensive Mifashion Fishing Umbrella Hats work great for shade on the go!
They are collapsible and fold up really small, too! Only $14, with free Prime shipping.
Surely, you can overlook the dork factor, if you are all alone in a remote location. 🤣

View attachment 150384
Some of my coworkers would actually use this and I wouldn't judge. Better than heat exhaustion or stroke in the Phoenix-Tucson area! We're always sent in at least crews of two though, so the other guy can be first to 'brella up 🤠 😬

Some of my coworkers would actually use this and I wouldn't judge. Better than heat exhaustion or stroke in the Phoenix-Tucson area! We're always sent in at least crews of two though, so the other guy can be first to 'brella up 🤠 😬
Indeed! Or the other guy can hold a large golf umbrella over you!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman