DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC PRO update for the Air 3 - Not this one.

This fooled me as well, seems the update for the RC Pro does not include Air 3. Bad timing on DJI I guess but the release notes do not indicate Air 3. I don't have an Air 3 to check but it's not in the aircraft list on the RC Pro. However, the Fly app on the RC Pro was updated and on the screen, the first thing it mentioned was Air 3 (correctly so) but still fooled me. Check again and see if you concur.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Yes, oddly, my RC-PRO had 2 updates waiting that I only noticed yesterday when, out of curiosity, I powered it up to see if it would be compatible now that the Air 3 had been officially released. And yes DJI Fly updated saying the update added support for the Air 3. DJI Fly also updated on my tablet which I use for quick file transfers from my mini 3 and my Classic. On my tablet the Air 3 now shows in the connection list, but not on my RC-PRO.
Oddly there was no DJI Fly update for my DJI RC and it is running a lower version than my RC-PRO.

Reactions: mavic3usa
I find it very odd that the RC-Pro got a Fly update that mentioned the Air 3 but the RC (non pro) did not. Neither of them are compatible with the Air 3 so why the update for the Pro only when it did nothing.
Is this a hint that at some point the RC-Pro will be compatible? Or is that just wishful thinking lol.

the update was simply to add the Air3 to the fly App itself
it now shows version 1.11.0 on IOS ,while my DJI RC for my Mini 3 pro is still on 1.10.0
its normal for the App on the RC to update along with any firmware update ,i personally dont think that there will be any more updates for both the DJI RC or the Mini 3 pro ,now that the Air 3 and new RC2 has been released,
but its quite possible ,that with the release of the RC2, that in time ,the Mavic 3 pro and maybe the Mini 3 pro might be able to work with the new controller
its all conjecture at this time

Considering the difference in Ocusync for the Air 3, chances are all previous RC controllers may not function with the Air 3
You must be knowledgeable about these specific differences. Would you please give some detail?

You must be knowledgeable about these specific differences. Would you please give some detail?
Based on what I've read and seen in Videos. the DJI RC uses O3+ transmission and the DJI RC 2, supports Ocusync 4.. or they are calling it appears O4 video transmission

That being said, the spec page on the DJI site does say that the RC 2 will support more DJI aircraft in the future.

Reactions: WobblingWillie
The Air 3 is the first DJI drone that uses OcuSync 4. As this is NEW TECHNOLOGY which is not included in the older controllers one should not expect it to be compatible

From the Mouth of my DJI Authorized sales person - Forget it - O4 in O3 out - making your older controller compatible would require them to revamp an entire old controller in order to make it work and every person would have to send it in for upgrade-thats not going to happen. Knowing this I cannot understand why they would not allow me to buy the parts myself and make it work.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Knowing this I cannot understand why they would not allow me to buy the parts myself and make it work.
Often times there are proprietary details involved and nothing is hardware alone since certain stuff needs to be reset, reflashed, or reprogrammed maybe using proprietary tools. Unfortunately it is absolutely out of the question for DJI to share their confidential processes and techniques and tools with the general public especially when quite a bit of support is possibly needed to make this work properly. Honestly, I don't think DJI is ready for this.

Reactions: Cafguy and KLRSKIR
The Air 3 is the first DJI drone that uses OcuSync 4. As this is NEW TECHNOLOGY which is not included in the older controllers one should not expect it to be compatible

The only thing that can stop compatibility is the lack of 5Ghz, and I haven't seen anything yet that says O4 can't operate only on 2.4GHz. The constraint might limit some O4 performance, but it's not a outright showstopper.

Also, there isn't any reason at all the A3 can't be updated in the future to support O3(+) to provide compatibility with the RC Pro.

Both the RC Pro and the A3 are implemented with Software Defined Radios (SDR). There is very little from a hardware standpoint that is specific to the transmission protocol... It's implemented in software. This is the reason the various RC's can, and have been updated through O2, O3, O3+.

Whether or not an SDR-based RC gets updated is a marketing, product roadmap, and ROI decision. It has nothing, usually, to do with NEW TECHNOLOGY, which isn't magic.

It's simply engineering.

It's my opinion that, given how DJI has positioned the RC Pro in their product ecosystem they will make the investment to support the A3. It may take adding 2.4GHz-only operation to O4 (which I'll bet is already in the spec), with an update to both the RC Pro and the A3, but I'm rather strong on the idea it will.

It likely will require patience, however.

From the Mouth of my DJI Authorized sales person - Forget it - O4 in O3 out - making your older controller compatible would require them to revamp an entire old controller in order to make it work and every person would have to send it in for upgrade-thats not going to happen. Knowing this I cannot understand why they would not allow me to buy the parts myself and make it work.
I give this no credibility at all (not aimed at you, @Cafguy)

We've heard similar things over the years from sales, support, and marketing droids before from DJI, only to have them be completely wrong some time later.

The most recent example was RID and the Mavic 2. Impossible. There's no BT or Wifi, so it's impossible.

And where are we now? Late, but RID is coming to the M2. How? Adding wifi to the drone by programming the SDR.

The days of having to have a "wifi chip" (or O4) are long gone, but most of the non-engineer public is blissfully unaware.

I give this no credibility at all (not aimed at you, @Cafguy)

We've heard similar things over the years from sales, support, and marketing droids before from DJI, only to have them be completely wrong some time later.

The most recent example was RID and the Mavic 2. Impossible. There's no BT or Wifi, so it's impossible.

And where are we now? Late, but RID is coming to the M2. How? Adding wifi to the drone by programming the SDR.

The days of having to have a "wifi chip" (or O4) are long gone, but most of the non-engineer public is blissfully unaware.
I completely understand your point but the Mavic 2 HAS wi-fi so im not really sure what you mean by impossible The Mavic 2 has Wi-Fi installed.
NOTE: you will find the Wi-Fi switch on the bottom right hand side of the aicraft under a grey plastic cover. If you slide the switch from RC to WiFi whilst the aircraft is already on, you will have to turn the aircraft off then on again.

Reactions: Torque
I completely understand your point but the Mavic 2 HAS wi-fi so im not really sure what you mean by impossible The Mavic 2 has Wi-Fi installed.
NOTE: you will find the Wi-Fi switch on the bottom right hand side of the aicraft under a grey plastic cover. If you slide the switch from RC to WiFi whilst the aircraft is already on, you will have to turn the aircraft off then on again.
Wasn't the Wi-Fi switch a feature of the original Mavic Pro? I have the Mavic 2 Pro and it doesn't have the switch.

@Cafguy my mistake. Bad memory, sold off my M2P over a year ago.

My point about the SDR design still stands though 🙂

Reactions: Cafguy

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dochavez1986