DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC PRO VS. RCN1 .....FIGHT!

I'm fairly new to the game; have a Mini 2 (and a cheaper Holy Stone). I have already invested $800 in the TriplTek 8 tablet because I thought, along with the RC-N1, it would give me good upgrade options over the Mini 2 > Mini 3 or Air 2S. I did not want the Smart Controller, mainly since it has been 'discontinued'. And I did not want the Mini 3 controller since it generates only 700 nits vs the 1200 nits of the Tripltek.

And I believe the 1200 nits of the Tripltek vs 1000 nits of the RC Pro gives the Tripletek + RC-N1 an advantage that offsets, to a degree, the increased range the RC Pro generates. Plus I'm skeptical that DJI will ever make the RC-Pro backward compatible with the Mini 2. Maybe not even the Mini 3 (as long as they have the Mini 3 RC's to sell)

Finally, I can't imagine a lot of cases where I'll be using a drone and capturing video out past a mile. I went out to 9870 feet with my Mini 2 and it took about 43% of my battery to get that far, so I had to turn back right away. And at that distance, I had no signal or transmission loss. Maybe if I upgrade to the Mini 3, some day, and have a Plus battery it might make a difference. But again, except for just testing range, I don't see much point in worrying about generating transmission past a mile, maybe less

so for me it was an easy call choosing the Tripltek + RC-N1 over the rather crazy $1200 price of the RC Pro and it's limited compatibility

Reactions: UAVquadman
The impression I get is that most people who think the RC Pro is unnecessary or overpriced have never used one. That's not to say everyone will like it, but it doesn't seem like many people (or any at all) have actually tried it gone back to the standard remote. Not to mention the price of a good aftermarket display + RC N1 is about the same as an RC Pro (or more in some cases), but somehow the RC Pro is overpriced.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
And I believe the 1200 nits of the Tripltek vs 1000 nits of the RC Pro gives the Tripletek + RC-N1 an advantage that offsets, to a degree, the increased range the RC Pro generates. Plus I'm skeptical that DJI will ever make the RC-Pro backward compatible with the Mini 2. Maybe not even the Mini 3 (as long as they have the Mini 3 RC's to sell)

Most human senses, including vision, are logarithmic, meaning that you need an exponential change in measurement to perceive a linear change. 1200 nits is not 20% brighter than 1000 nits (it's more like 5% which is not noticeable), and 2000 nits is not twice as bright as 1000 nits. 1000 nits would look about twice as bright as 250 nits. Most people probably could not detect any difference whatsoever between 1000 and 1200 nits. You need something measured roughly 4 times as bright for the human eye to perceive it as twice as bright in the same environment.

Decibels work in a similar way and it's something that is commonly misunderstood.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I know but do they still have this deal? and this just proves my point at $1200 it's a rip off.
Nope, which is why it was too good of a deal to pass up. And some people still did, with regrets.

The impression I get is that most people who think the RC Pro is unnecessary or overpriced have never used one. That's not to say everyone will like it, but it doesn't seem like many people (or any at all) have actually tried it gone back to the standard remote. Not to mention the price of a good aftermarket display + RC N1 is about the same as an RC Pro (or more in some cases), but somehow the RC Pro is overpriced.
Exactly! RC Pro worth every penny, once you have tried it! Flying the Mavic 3 with the same controller as is included with and also designed for the $400 Mini 2 is like using a mouse/bar of soap to draw with, instead of a pressure sensitive stylus! It will severely limit your creativity! If you are going to buy the M3, get the superior controller that was designed for it, rather than one designed for the entry level Mini 2!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Nope, which is why it was too good of a deal to pass up. And some people still did, with regrets.
To be fair, there was a great deal of risk and uncertainty associated with buying it at the time. B&H stated that it was not compatible with the Mavic 3. It took a later FW update to make compatible, that was not promised at the time. On the contrary, buyers were told it would not be compatible. Some took the risk, and it paid off handsomely!

Last edited:
Most human senses, including vision, are logarithmic, meaning that you need an exponential change in measurement to perceive a linear change. 1200 nits is not 20% brighter than 1000 nits (it's more like 5% which is not noticeable), and 2000 nits is not twice as bright as 1000 nits. 1000 nits would look about twice as bright as 250 nits. Most people probably could not detect any difference whatsoever between 1000 and 1200 nits. You need something measured roughly 4 times as bright for the human eye to perceive it as twice as bright in the same environment.

Decibels work in a similar way and it's something that is commonly misunderstood.
Exactly! Brightness is perceived, not measured. 2000 nits are only 41% brighter than 1000 nits. I have yet to need to turn the screen brightness on the RC Pro up to even its maximum!

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Now I'm super mad. Ordered the RC Pro and it showed up today. Was hoping I wouldn't like it so would send it back. After tonight, wow, the range of that thing is incredible. Now I'm going to have to keep it lol.

I'm fairly new to the game; have a Mini 2 (and a cheaper Holy Stone). I have already invested $800 in the TriplTek 8 tablet because I thought, along with the RC-N1, it would give me good upgrade options over the Mini 2 > Mini 3 or Air 2S. I did not want the Smart Controller, mainly since it has been 'discontinued'. And I did not want the Mini 3 controller since it generates only 700 nits vs the 1200 nits of the Tripltek.

Finally, I can't imagine a lot of cases where I'll be using a drone and capturing video out past a mile. I went out to 9870 feet with my Mini 2 and it took about 43% of my battery to get that far, so I had to turn back right away. And at that distance, I had no signal or transmission loss. Maybe if I upgrade to the Mini 3, some day, and have a Plus battery it might make a difference. But again, except for just testing range, I don't see much point in worrying about generating transmission past a mile, maybe less

so for me it was an easy call choosing the Tripltek + RC-N1 over the rather crazy $1200 price of the RC Pro and it's limited compatibility
You are missing out on the second scroll wheel, C1 and C2 buttons, the 5 way button, and the back button and right buttons, which all have combination customizations using the scroll wheels, so you can keep your hands on the sticks where they belong, instead of using cumbersome onscreen menus. That's the REAL benefit of the RC Pro! Zooming, without being able to move the gimbal at the same time, results in an off center subject. On the RC-N1, you can only use the single scroll wheel for one or the other.

Now I'm super mad. Ordered the RC Pro and it showed up today. Was hoping I wouldn't like it so would send it back. After tonight, wow, the range of that thing is incredible. Now I'm going to have to keep it lol.
I hate it when that happens! 🤣
Don't knock it until you have tried it!

• Haha
Reactions: veryzebra
You are missing out on the second scroll wheel, C1 and C2 buttons, the 5 way button, and the back button and right buttons, which all have combination customizations using the scroll wheels, so you can keep your hands on the sticks where they belong, instead of using cumbersome onscreen menus. That's the REAL benefit of the RC Pro! Zooming, without being able to move the gimbal at the same time, results in an off center subject. On the RC-N1, you can only use the single scroll wheel for one or the other.
are you employed by DJI? Because you are promoting the RC Pro vigorously.

I get it, it's a great controller....just as long as you have a Mavic 3 or the Air 2S. I don't have either. I have the Mini 2 and if I get a next drone it will be either the Mini 3 or the Air 2S. If they start selling the RC Pro with the Air 2S (something I'm not sure they will do) and the add-on price is substantially lower than the 1200 dollar price tag of the RC Pro, then I might consider it. But at this point, I'm leaning toward the Mini 3, if only for the fact of the plus batteries and a flight time approaching 40 minutes; also obstacle avoidance

I'm inclined to think it will be a long time, if ever, that DJI makes the RC Pro compatible with the Mini 3. Meanwhile, there is no compatibility issue with any of the drones and Tripltek

Exactly! RC Pro worth every penny, once you have tried it! Flying the Mavic 3 with the same controller as is included with and also designed for the $400 Mini 2 is like using a mouse/bar of soap to draw with, instead of a pressure sensitive stylus! It will severely limit your creativity! If you are going to buy the M3, get the superior controller that was designed for it, rather than one designed for the entry level Mini 2!
The RC Pro at $1200 is a RIPP OFF because the screen is very small. (just ONE of the reasons whey it's a rip off! but I still want one! LOL)

for those who don't fly the the Mavic 3 everyday like me who is known to be the best drone pilot in the area... The RC PRO isn't needed! LOL.... I just forgot... I am going to fly my drone now. I would say more like others, but I don't have the time seeing that I would rather just fly my Mavic 3 drone with a Mini 2 Controller! LOL....

Tax killed the deal for me with the hassle of having an extra Air 2S that would have been a time waster to sell, so I have no regrets because the RC PRO will Not in any way or form make the Mavic 3 Camera any better! (dynamic range, etc...)

The RC Pro at $1200 is a RIPP OFF because the screen is very small. (just ONE of the reasons whey it's a rip off! but I still want one! LOL)
The small screen is large enough, without being too heavy and massive, requiring a tray underneath it to support the weight, like the 8” Autel Smart Controller, or the massive new DJI RC Plus controller for the Matrice 30!

are you employed by DJI? Because you are promoting the RC Pro vigorously.

I get it, it's a great controller....just as long as you have a Mavic 3 or the Air 2S. I don't have either. I have the Mini 2 and if I get a next drone it will be either the Mini 3 or the Air 2S. If they start selling the RC Pro with the Air 2S (something I'm not sure they will do) and the add-on price is substantially lower than the 1200 dollar price tag of the RC Pro, then I might consider it. But at this point, I'm leaning toward the Mini 3, if only for the fact of the plus batteries and a flight time approaching 40 minutes; also obstacle avoidance

I'm inclined to think it will be a long time, if ever, that DJI makes the RC Pro compatible with the Mini 3. Meanwhile, there is no compatibility issue with any of the drones and Tripltek
Anyone who has used the RC-N1 and tried the RC Pro will do the same and sing its praises! Night and day difference. RC Pro was already bundled with the Air 2S back in December and early January with the FlyMore Kit for $1750.

I do wish they would have a standard thread on their joysticks. I noted every controller I ever got that was dji had spares but the rc pro doesn't. Would be great to be able to have them be interchangeable

Last edited:
Anyone who has used the RC-N1 and tried the RC Pro will do the same and sing its praises! Night and day difference. RC Pro was already bundled with the Air 2S back in December and early January with the FlyMore Kit for $1750.
The Air 2S deal is dead, seeing that you mention it so often means you agree at $1200 it's a RIPOFF!

The small screen is large enough, without being too heavy and massive, requiring a tray underneath it to support the weight, like the 8” Autel Smart Controller, or the massive new DJI RC Plus controller for the Matrice 30!
no way it's large enough for my use. I use an iPad Pro 10.5 Tablet and take full advantage of it spotting very small objects that would be much harder on a tiny screen less than 7" Plus it's on top to reduce Neck strain.... a No brainer for me and many others who have experienced a sore neck.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spencergotty