DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Update Needed - No update available

ufgatorvet

Reactions
Hello -

I can't seem to find the answer in the manual or searching the web, so hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Air 3 FMC with the RC 2.

Almost every time I take it out to fly (once or twice a week),on immediate startup there is a message on the controller that says that "RC needs to be updated, go to Settings -> About to update".

I go to that menu and there are options to check for updates for "Aircraft Firmware" and "FlySafe Data" but the RC Firmware is listed as version 01.00.0500 WITH NO OPTION TO CHECK FOR UPDATES.

I then perform various turn off/on of the drone and the RC 2 sometimes several times, then this error no longer shows up. I am able to fly normally, change batteries, all is good.

Several days later when going out to fly, the error is displayed again, and I go through those gyrations.

Essentially, I am wondering why is it stating the RC firmware needs updating, but there is no option to update it in the menu I am directed to update the firmware? See attached image of the screen ...

IMG_4188.jpeg

I have internet access to the controller during all of these episodes (either directly from my home WiFi or hotspot to my iPhone, neither make a difference.

This started happening probably the second or third flight of the drone and almost every time I take it out now.

Thank you for any advice you can give me

PS:
Aside from this, I find the drone a huge upgrade from the Mini 3 Pro I am coming from.

DJI_20230824195243_0063_D.jpeg

Last edited:
There are no updates for your drone or your RC2. Please show the message that says you need to update.

This is current for Air 3 and I believe there have been no new updates since launch:

DJI Air 3 Release Notes
Copyright © 2023 DJI All Rights Reserved.
1Date: 2023.07.25
Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0300
Remote Controller Firmware: v01.00.05.00 (DJI RC 2) v01.00.03.00 (DJI RC-N2)
DJI Fly App iOS: v1.11.0
DJI Fly App Android: v1.11.0

Reactions: GadgetGuy
This is the error I received this afternoon. I then went to the Settings --> About menu, and there were no updates.

Why is it telling me there are updates, and preventing me from flying almost every time I take it out? And then turning R2 and drone on/off several times makes the error/warning go away ...?

IMG_4189.jpegIMG_4190.jpeg

Last edited:
Hello -

I can't seem to find the answer in the manual or searching the web, so hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Air 3 FMC with the RC 2.

Almost every time I take it out to fly (once or twice a week),on immediate startup there is a message on the controller that says that "RC needs to be updated, go to Settings -> About to update".

I go to that menu and there are options to check for updates for "Aircraft Firmware" and "FlySafe Data" but the RC Firmware is listed as version 01.00.0500 WITH NO OPTION TO CHECK FOR UPDATES.

I then perform various turn off/on of the drone and the RC 2 sometimes several times, then this error no longer shows up. I am able to fly normally, change batteries, all is good.

Several days later when going out to fly, the error is displayed again, and I go through those gyrations.

Essentially, I am wondering why is it stating the RC firmware needs updating, but there is no option to update it in the menu I am directed to update the firmware? See attached image of the screen ...

View attachment 167431

I have internet access to the controller during all of these episodes (either directly from my home WiFi or hotspot to my iPhone, neither make a difference.

This started happening probably the second or third flight of the drone and almost every time I take it out now.

Thank you for any advice you can give me

PS:
Aside from this, I find the drone a huge upgrade from the Mini 3 Pro I am coming from.

View attachment 167430
You say a couple of times there is no option to update? But have you clicked on the blue text to check for updates? I presume you have and what you mean is there are no updates as opposed to no option to update..

Please note some updates ask you to do so when you put a different battery in.. As the firmware needs to be updated on each battery

Reactions: Torque
You say a couple of times there is no option to update? But have you clicked on the blue text to check for updates? I presume you have and what you mean is there are no updates as opposed to no option to update..

Please note some updates ask you to do so when you put a different battery in.. As the firmware needs to be updated on each battery
This one is "Remote Controller update required…" in red, as seen in the screenshot above. The one you are referring to is a generic "Firmware mismatch" which is either for the battery, or needing to load the correct version of Fly for a different model of drone.

My best guess is that after the last update, the Update Required flag was not properly reset, much like a "Check Engine" prompt on a car, after fixing the problem, if a mechanic doesn't have the necessary equipment required to reset the "Check Engine" warning flag back to null.

You might try hooking it up to a PC and reinstalling the last RC update manually from Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones. If my theory is correct, that should reset the flag, and get it to stop asking for the already installed update.

Reactions: mavic3usa

I am not sure what "blue box" you are referring to. The red error on the controller says to update RC, but when I go to that menu in order to update the RC, there is no option displayed to "Check for updates".

My best guess is that after the last update, the Update Required flag was not properly reset, much like a "Check Engine" prompt on a car, after fixing the problem, if a mechanic doesn't have the necessary equipment required to reset the "Check Engine" warning flag back to null.

You might try hooking it up to a PC and reinstalling the last RC update manually from Assistant 2 for Consumer Drones. If my theory is correct, that should reset the flag, and get it to stop asking for the already installed update.
Any idea why an "update flag" would need to be reset? Would "resetting" the controller accomplish the same effect as the process you are describing? Hoping someone out there has encountered the same issue and let me know what the permanent fix might be. Thank you!

This one is "Remote Controller update required…" in red, as seen in the screenshot above. The one you are referring to is a generic "Firmware mismatch" which is either for the battery, or needing to load the correct version of Fly for a different model of drone.
Sorry, now I see that and understand. Try this… log out of your account.. restart RC and Drone… log in again and see if error pops up… if yes connect to RC via USB to a PC and runs the DJI Assistant 2… and try a re-install of F/W, good luck

Reactions: mavic3usa
Guys, the drone and RC firmware are bundled together for the DJI RC and DJI RC2. So when the RC has an update even when the aircraft does not, it comes through the aircraft update channel.

So hit the "check for updates" on the aircraft, and that will catch the RC update if there is one.

It's subtle, but on that page in the app you can see they've grouped the aircraft and RC together with a separator before the items below.

Reactions: Torque and Krrr
Guys, the drone and RC firmware are bundled together for the DJI RC and DJI RC2. So when the RC has an update even when the aircraft does not, it comes through the aircraft update channel.

So hit the "check for updates" on the aircraft, and that will catch the RC update if there is one.

It's subtle, but on that page in the app you can see they've grouped the aircraft and RC together with a separator before the items below.
Great to know. Thank you.

I did that and it said firmware up to date.

RC 2 still showed error box RC update required and wouldn’t let me take off.

Thanks for the tip. I just did this. Will be taking it outside shortly to fly and will report back here with the (hopefully) good news.

This drone has not disappointed in any other way, so hopefully it will be as simple as this.

It's frustrating seeing a pod of dolphins off the dock and having to take 15-20 minutes of futzing with the remote/drone while they swim far away.

Just an update and hoping for any other suggestions.

As recommended above, I updated the RC 2 with the Assistant 2 app. No issue doing that. I contact DJI and they also recommended that, so done.

Went out to fly, and in fact things are even worse.

1. Turn on RC 2
2. Turn on A3
3. RC 2 says that RC update required
4. Go to Settings --> About
5. No option to update RC 2
6. Turn off/then on RC 2
7. Error RC needs calibration
8. Turn off A3
9. Perform calibration
10. Turn A3 back on
11. RC 2 says that RC update required
12. Go to Settings --> About
13. No option to update RC 2
14. Turn off RC 2 and A3
Start over at step 1 and repeated 3-4 times (30 mins).

Ultimately, I couldn't fly today since apparently the RC 2 or A3 or both are bricked.

I created a video showing the exact steps and screen messages. It is a large video and couldn't upload it here but I uploaded it to youtube.

Please take a look at this link:

If anyone sees anything important, please let me know. I apologize for the shakiness and focus at time I was alone trying to hold my phone and manipulate the RC 2.

What would resetting the RC 2 do? Would that lose binding to the A3? Mess up DJI Care association?

Thank you for any insight you might be able to offer. Hoping DJI will have more suggestions but thus far not able to do much with this drone.

Downloaded Assistant 2 to my Windows PC, opened the app, attached USB-A (computer) to USB-C port on RC 2, then Updated RC 2 firmware. It said it was successful.
Ok, it said you were up to date and asked if you wanted to Refresh, correct?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne