DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Update Needed - No update available

Just an update and hoping for any other suggestions.

As recommended above, I updated the RC 2 with the Assistant 2 app. No issue doing that. I contact DJI and they also recommended that, so done.

Went out to fly, and in fact things are even worse.

1. Turn on RC 2
2. Turn on A3
3. RC 2 says that RC update required
4. Go to Settings --> About
5. No option to update RC 2
6. Turn off/then on RC 2
7. Error RC needs calibration
8. Turn off A3
9. Perform calibration
10. Turn A3 back on
11. RC 2 says that RC update required
12. Go to Settings --> About
13. No option to update RC 2
14. Turn off RC 2 and A3
Start over at step 1 and repeated 3-4 times (30 mins).

Ultimately, I couldn't fly today since apparently the RC 2 or A3 or both are bricked.

I created a video showing the exact steps and screen messages. It is a large video and couldn't upload it here but I uploaded it to youtube.

Please take a look at this link:

If anyone sees anything important, please let me know. I apologize for the shakiness and focus at time I was alone trying to hold my phone and manipulate the RC 2.

What would resetting the RC 2 do? Would that lose binding to the A3? Mess up DJI Care association?

Thank you for any insight you might be able to offer. Hoping DJI will have more suggestions but thus far not able to do much with this drone.
This isn't going to help you but for step #5 and step #13, the option to update RC2 is right there on the screen and you tapped on it twice. It's the same option to check for updates next to aircraft firmware.

It says "check for updates" not "check for update."
The "updates" it is checking for are these two: 1) aircraft firmware, and 2) rc firmware
Notice those two items are between two thick solid bars above and below the two items in this same group, with one option to check both; just happens to be located on 2 different lines.
Rightly so, checking comes back with your firmware (should says all/both firmware) is up to date.

This has already been mentioned but I would try to refresh your aircraft firmware (not rc firmware) with Assistant and after that, I would consider it defective and seek warranty assistance. Doesn't seem like more you can do, than you have already done.

The answer to this is in post #11.
Gotcha.

I did that. No dice.

Contacted DJI, discussed the video with them, they said it needs to be sent back for diagnostics and repair. They won't let me refund/replace since I received it 26 days ago. Pretty disappointed in the lack of willingness to stand by the product. Next time will consider purchasing on amazon for the 30 days return. Live and learn.

Anyone gone through this repair process? How long does it typically take? Do they actually repair the one I send in, or ship out a new one when they receive mine? Vacation planned in 2 weeks, really hoping this is resolved by then.

Thanks for your comments

Reactions: mavic3usa
It says "check for updates" not "check for update."
The "updates" it is checking for are these two: 1) aircraft firmware, and 2) rc firmware
Notice those two items are between two thick solid bars above and below the two items in this same group, with one option to check both; just happens to be located on 2 different lines.
Rightly so, checking comes back with your firmware (should says all/both firmware) is up to date.
Ah, I see.

Very helpful comment. I did not understand that association. I was expecting a separate Check For Updates next the RC.

Thank you for explaining that to me. I appreciate it.

Reactions: mavic3usa
For normally functioning RC/drone, how often is the "RC calibration needed" message suppose to pop up?

Throughout my experience, every time I start the RC 2 it says Calibration needed (in addition to the firmware message).

Essentially, under what circumstances are people finding calibration is needed?

Thank you,

@ufgatorvet i watched your video for the RC calibration part ,i saw that you calibrated the sticks ,may i ask if you also calibrated the thumb wheels as well ,the graphic was showing them to be needed doing ,not saying it will fix your issue ,just asking thats all.
its part of the RC calibration process

Last edited:
For normally functioning RC/drone, how often is the "RC calibration needed" message suppose to pop up?

Throughout my experience, every time I start the RC 2 it says Calibration needed (in addition to the firmware message).

Essentially, under what circumstances are people finding calibration is needed?

Thank you,
Your error message "Remote Controller calibration error":
You ONLY calibrated the 2 sticks, you also have to calibrate the 2 wheels.

Your error message "Unable to take off. Remote Controller update required. Go to Settings > About to update firmware":
From the startup screen tap on "Profile" > "Settings" > "Check for Firmware Updates"

I took these screenshots from the DJI-RC (Assuming the DJI-RC has the same menu structure as the DJI-RC2):
Screenshot_00.png
Screenshot_01 Profile.png
Screenshot_02 Settings.png
Normally you would get a message like this if a RC firmware is available, making me to believe something is wrong with your RC2.
Screenshot_00 Firmware Update Available.png

Reactions: old man mavic
What would resetting the RC 2 do? Would that lose binding to the A3? Mess up DJI Care association?

I don't know, but an educated guess is it returns the device to factory firmware that was installed at manufacture. You would then have to apply updates again, if any.

If it were me, I'd do it at this point. Seems your next option is to send it to DJI, so might as well try the reset first.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
@ufgatorvet i watched your video for the RC calibration part ,i saw that you calibrated the sticks ,may i ask if you also calibrated the thumb wheels as well ,the graphic was showing them to be needed doing ,not saying it will fix your issue ,just asking thats all.
its part of the RC calibration process
@old man mavic That worked! OMG, you are my hero.

I did not know, and have never calibrated the "wheels" only the sticks. When I did the FULL calibration, the "RC Updated Required" error disappeared, apparently for good! I have flown 5 batteries since your message ... flawless.

I really appreciate you watching my video closely and giving me this very insightful and constructive tip!

I did not see this spelled out in the manual, and on the screen I didn't know what those two icons meant.

Even DJI looked at my video with me and they didn't pick up on this! They told me to open a support ticket and send it back.

Thanks again, very very appreciative!

Last edited:
@ufgatorvet i am really happy it fixed you problem and i would like to mention that @tribar also mentioned it as well, in his post #26 above ,sometimes its things that are not obvious ,that can catch you out,enjoy your new drone ,the Air 3 is an amazing piece of kit.

Reactions: Torque
Calibrating the thumb wheels would be the first thing I would think of getting a message, "RC Update Required". 🙄

A tip related to this: If you get the error message, "Inconsistent Firmware" don't be fooled and start trying firmware updates. You'll have no luck.

Rather, the lint trap in your dryer needs to be emptied.

😁

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Calibrating the thumb wheels would be the first thing I would think of getting a message, "RC Update Required". 🙄

A tip related to this: If you get the error message, "Inconsistent Firmware" don't be fooled and start trying firmware updates. You'll have no luck.

Rather, the lint trap in your dryer needs to be emptied.

😁
I'm as befuddled as you are! WTF? Need to get the newest Chinglish for Americans handbook!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N