DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC1 controller support OC3+ by firmware update - New DJI Statement.

zeusfl

Mavic Pilot Guru
Premium Pilot
Reactions
Site
youtube.com
DJI Stephen in the DJI forums just inform the RC1 (Standard controller) support OC3+ to the M3 with the firmware update currently,
also support OC3 to the MA2S and OC2 to the MA2 and DJI Mini2.

Same RC1 (S1 Chipset) different firmware. Basically, in my words, they change the transmission power with the firmware.

dji stephen.jpg

I responded for clarification.

dji stephen 2.jpg

dji stephen 3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Crashdummytest
DJI Stephen in the DJI forums just inform the RC1 (Standard controller) support OC3+ to the M3 with the firmware update currently,

Same RC1 (S1 Chipset) different firmware. Basically, in my words, they change the transmission power with the firmware.

View attachment 141237

View attachment 141238

View attachment 141239
The RC Pro still has a higher transmit power of 33dBm vs 26dBm from the standard remote and slightly lower latency. The higher transmit power may not make a difference in reality because the transmit power from the aircraft doesn’t change and the video feed is what is likely to go out before the control link.

The RC Pro still has a higher transmit power of 33dBm vs 26dBm from the standard remote and slightly lower latency. The higher transmit power may not make a difference in reality because the transmit power from the aircraft doesn’t change and the video feed is what is likely to go out before the control link.
The transmission power from the aircraft is already set and can be changed by firmware if they want as well as they do with the RC1. The only difference between the RC1 and the RC Pro is that "probably and most likely" the RC pro has a P1 chip instead of the S1. The P1 is more powerful had has the video encoding capability that the RC1 doesn't need.

Maybe it's the language differences or the culture, but the whole dialog from "Stephen" seems so confusing, bordering on obtuse. What I want to know is, should I buy the Air2s with the smart controller, now packaged at $1700, can I use it with the M3 should I choose to upgrade.... and/or buy the Air2s package, sell the Air2s to keep the controller and then buy the basic M3 kit for $2200 and add a battery, total cost of about $2800, or even buy the M3 FMC with the cost of the SC at $400 rather than $1200?

As of right now, at least anecdotally, no one has been able to link the RC Pro packaged with Air 2S kit with Mavic 3 Aircraft. This is really screwing up people's plans to have an Air 2S and M3 both use the RC Pro, and people are assuming it is a $$ issue since the Air 2S combo gets you the RC Pro in a Fly More for way less than purchased separately for the Mavic 3. Rightfully so, as it cost me $4200 USD before tax which is nuts! DJI says credit will be issued to Mavic 3 customers after they start selling a Fly More Combo with RC Pro "during Q1 of 2022 - if demand is enough" So plenty of wiggle room. For DJI, not for customers. I would have easily bought the Air 2S combo with RC Pro, since I only have an Air 2, and gotten the RC Pro with an Air 2S Fly More for $500-ish dollars over the RC Pro- except they did some squirrely FW to lock the RC Pro to only bind with Air 2S, and not Mavic 3. Probably a temporary move to prevent people getting a deal. Can't have THAT happening!

Here is the announcement about
Credit for separate purchase of RC Pro

Notice about the new DJI Mavic 3 fly more combo with RC Pro

Maybe it's the language differences or the culture, but the whole dialog from "Stephen" seems so confusing, bordering on obtuse. What I want to know is, should I buy the Air2s with the smart controller, now packaged at $1700, can I use it with the M3 should I choose to upgrade.... and/or buy the Air2s package, sell the Air2s to keep the controller and then buy the basic M3 kit for $2200 and add a battery, total cost of about $2800, or even buy the M3 FMC with the cost of the SC at $400 rather than $1200?
With the current firmware lock that DJI has is not possible to switch aircraft or switch firmware in the RC Pro controller without a hack. But I am sure they will make it compatible unlocking that. Is all a software lock for marketing reasons at the moment. I am sure the reason why they decide to sell now the Air2S with the RC Pro controller is the response for users complaining that the smart controller with the old chipset can not keep up with the 60FPS transmission. Is just too much for the LEADCORE chip.

With the current firmware lock that DJI has is not possible to switch aircraft or switch firmware in the RC Pro controller without a hack. But I am sure they will make it compatible unlocking that. Is all a software lock for marketing reasons at the moment. I am sure the reason why they decide to sell now the Air2S with the RC Pro controller is the response for users complaining that the smart controller with the old chipset can not keep up with the 60FPS transmission. Is just too much for the LEADCORE chip.
I know Autel has had recent issues, much due to the world's chip shortage. But based on what I've seen in the intial reviews of the new Autel Nano and the one review of the EVO Lite, I am keeping my fingers crossed that in the coming months Autel will be able to compete head to head with DJI, eliminating some of the annoyances that one has to accept with DJI drones.

My personal, gut reaction to DJI's M3 is one of crossing the line into the area of greed, relying on name and market share to build margin far beyond value. If nothing else the M3's basic controller should have been at least on par with the Mavic 2 controller, not the same as the Mini 2. And if the Mini 2 controller with Ocusync 2 can fly the M3, why can't earlier versions of the smart controller, which cost in the neighborhood of $700? It's not that DJI wasn't capable of upgrading the peripherals of their systems. They just chose not to do it.

The old smart controller GPU specifically is the problem. Can not keep up with the 60FPS from the M3 and Air2S barely making it.

View attachment 141237

View attachment 141238

View attachment 141239
That change in the RC-N1 from OcuSync 2.0 to O3+ is in the newer version V1.2 of the M3 manual.

It’s interesting that in the newer manual Revision Log they don’t mention that?

B12934F8-0EA4-4778-9398-83959315AD58.jpeg

Reactions: zeusfl
The transmission power from the aircraft is already set and can be changed by firmware if they want as well as they do with the RC1. The only difference between the RC1 and the RC Pro is that "probably and most likely" the RC pro has a P1 chip instead of the S1. The P1 is more powerful had has the video encoding capability that the RC1 doesn't need.
The specs for the RC Pro show that it’s transmit power is 33 dbm for FCC mode but the specs for the RC1 show transmit power is only 26 dbm for FCC mode with the M3. I don’t know if thats a software lock or not but it’s a big difference in transmit power.

Reactions: bonzo
Apparently, this has been changed by software updates based on what DJI Stephen states.

The specs for the RC Pro show that it’s transmit power is 33 dbm for FCC mode but the specs for the RC1 show transmit power is only 26 dbm for FCC mode with the M3. I don’t know if thats a software lock or not but it’s a big difference in transmit power.
I love it when you talk technical. What does that mean?

I don't call that a downgrade even when the numbers show that. Is just installing the Mavic 3 compatible firmware.
Let me correct the statement. Is forcing the installation because DJI does not allow you.
Call me skeptical, but it is clear that they want us to spend $1200 for hardware that. with little component difference would cost us $500 more than the previous generation which would appear to be nearly identical while providing the same "basic" controller (and it is basic) as they did with their $450 drone. I do not know anything about the technicals, but it would seem that for the most part I have it right. Am I missing something here???

Last edited:
I love it when you talk technical. What does that mean?
It refers to how much power is used to send out the signal.

Radio signals are like sound in a lot of ways. If you turn up the volume on your stereo all you are really doing is increasing the power used to drive the speakers. It works the same for radio signals. Increase the power and the “louder” the signal will be which means it can be heard more clearly, from further away, and will be able to be heard over other noise.

26 dBm corresponds to about .4 watts (RC-1) 33 dBm corresponds to about 2 watts (RC-Pro). That’s 5 times more power. Now it’s not a linear scale. Double the power doesn’t mean double the “volume” but 5 times more power is still very significant

Reactions: Rubenc87
It refers to how much power is used to send out the signal.

Radio signals are like sound in a lot of ways. If you turn up the volume on your stereo all you are really doing is increasing the power used to drive the speakers. It works the same for radio signals. Increase the power and the “louder” the signal will be which means it can be heard more clearly, from further away, and will be able to be heard over other noise.

26 dBm corresponds to about .4 watts (RC-1) 33 dBm corresponds to about 2 watts (RC-Pro). That’s 5 times more power. Now it’s not a linear scale. Double the power doesn’t mean double the “volume” but 5 times more power is still very significant
I understand now. I'm not familiar with which model smart controllers go with which drones. I wish there more distinct naming conventions to make them easier to identify. So is the 33dbmm on the one that comes with the M3 kit? What's that SC designation again, please?

The non-linear aspect as you described it sounds a lot like the way f stops work. An increased/decreased value of 1.4 = +/- 2x light and also applies to the inverse square law.

I understand now. I'm not familiar with which model smart controllers go with which drones. I wish there more distinct naming conventions to make them easier to identify. So is the 33dbmm on the one that comes with the M3 kit? What's that SC designation again, please?

The non-linear aspect as you described it sounds a lot like the way f stops work. An increased/decreased value of 1.4 = +/- 2x light and also applies to the inverse square law.
It’s this one.

It comes with the Mavic 3 Cine or you can buy it stand alone

Yes due to inverse square law

I know Autel has had recent issues, much due to the world's chip shortage. But based on what I've seen in the intial reviews of the new Autel Nano and the one review of the EVO Lite, I am keeping my fingers crossed that in the coming months Autel will be able to compete head to head with DJI, eliminating some of the annoyances that one has to accept with DJI drones.

My personal, gut reaction to DJI's M3 is one of crossing the line into the area of greed, relying on name and market share to build margin far beyond value. If nothing else the M3's basic controller should have been at least on par with the Mavic 2 controller, not the same as the Mini 2. And if the Mini 2 controller with Ocusync 2 can fly the M3, why can't earlier versions of the smart controller, which cost in the neighborhood of $700? It's not that DJI wasn't capable of upgrading the peripherals of their systems. They just chose not to do it.
There are other indications of greed. Things like eliminating the charger on a controller that lists 60% over its predecessor. They didn't even include a spare pair of sticks with RC Pro. Even the RC-N1 with a Mini 2 comes with spares. Price for these on DJI Store: $20 USD. Pair of M3 props for $19. Mavic 2 Pro? $11. Some say "everything has gone up" and "supply issues" etc. Really? Making a set of Mavic 2 Pro sticks would also increase under that assumption, yet they haven't. $179 for a set of 4 filters. $179 for the non-existent Wide-angle adapter. RC Pro has no microphone either. Nickle and dime stuff everywhere. When Mavic 3 was released tee engineers didn't celebrate. The executives and accountants did. Lots of back slapping. This is NOT the solution to loss of market share. They claim profits are down because they lost 15% market share in 2020 and another 20 something percent in 2021 (commercial sector) - higher margins is a short sighted solution good mostly for stockholders, perhaps for a few quarters. But almost certain to exacerbate the cycle of sinking market share/price increases. It appears that "value" is no longer a characteristic of DJI Products. I can afford the product, and so far, I like the Mavic 3 a lot. I just get the impression that recent moves are more about profit than product.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive