DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Re-cutting an edited video

mvadventures

Reactions
I think I may have shot myself in the foot. I'm using PowerDirector (which I really like) to edit my Mavic video, and I've made a number of mp4 videos with it.
Trying to save some space on my hard drive, once I produced the edited video I deleted the source files.

Now I'm trying to re-cut a finished video into a short little 30 second version, and the re-cut version looks very muddy.
It looks like I'm losing a significant amount of resolution with the re-edit.

What did I do wrong? I was hoping not to have to go back to all those original video clips to put something together all over again.

Many thanks for any ideas!

You are losing details because of re-edit, and (as you said) you would like to re-cut. Fastest way that I know of is to get Avidemux (Avidemux - Downloads), open the file you want to re-cut, move frame slider to desired position, as shown in Pic 1 (making sure "Frame Type" is "I", not "B" or "P", otherwise that segment WILL be re-encoded); Press marker "A" (Pic 3, that will be your starting point); Move frame slider to end point and press marker "B" (Pic 4, does not matter if it said "Frame Type "I", "B" or "P"" for end point); Select your Output format (Pic 5) and press "Save" (Pic 6).

Done.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
I think I may have shot myself in the foot. I'm using PowerDirector (which I really like) to edit my Mavic video, and I've made a number of mp4 videos with it.
Trying to save some space on my hard drive, once I produced the edited video I deleted the source files.

Now I'm trying to re-cut a finished video into a short little 30 second version, and the re-cut version looks very muddy.
It looks like I'm losing a significant amount of resolution with the re-edit.

What did I do wrong? I was hoping not to have to go back to all those original video clips to put something together all over again.

Many thanks for any ideas!
Hoping not to go back to which clips? The ones you deleted?

If you haven’t used/saved to the original volume the footage was on before you deleted the files there is a good chance they can be recovered.

I have been a PowerDirector for years. There is no reason for any loss of quality if you produce the re-edited video at the same frame rate and resolution as the original. I have re-edited many videos with no problems. As for keeping the orginal files, I store them on a external Western Digital drive.

Thanks VERY much to all of you for your suggestions!
I got a great tip for someone over on the PowerDirector Forum to use a PD feature - SVRT - Smart Video Rendering Technology when rendering the re-cut. It worked perfectly, giving me the same crisp video as the original longer production.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Piason