DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Real world meaning of VLOS

That’s my point. With FPV, height and distance readings, a map of where the drone is, and a camera that shows you what you’re flying over, most people don’t spend the money these cost just to fly as far as you can see from where you’re standing. There would be very few YouTube videos of footage from mavic sir most people only flew VLOS.
Doesnt matter what people do, what matters is that you know the rules and regulations.

Reactions: Kevin Fantroy
I agree that surely most people don't fly VLOS, but look at their screen, which gives a much better view of hazards than eyesight. Rules should be challenged, which I have done so with CASA in Australia. As pilots we must challenge regulations that we feel are unworkable, otherwise they will never change.

Reactions: Bernie707
I don’t see many videos or photos where it would have been remotely possible for VLOS could be maintained.

Reactions: Bernie707
I agree that surely most people don't fly VLOS, but look at their screen, which gives a much better view of hazards than eyesight. Rules should be challenged, which I have done so with CASA in Australia. As pilots we must challenge regulations that we feel are unworkable, otherwise they will never change.
I disagree. Looking at a screen that shows the FOV of a camera cannot give a better view of hazards. Hazards can appear quickly from above, below, behind or from the sides. There is no way a camera can compete with your eyesight that allows you to see the whole aircraft and everything that surrounds it when it is in VLOS.

Regulations exist to keep people and aircraft safe. More restrictions are being put in place because of attitudes like these.

Chris

In the USA, in regards to UAS operations you have to not only be able to "See" the aircraft you also have to be able to determine orientation, altitude, and direction of flight. That's hard to do "quickly" when it's a mere speck in the sky.

Most people flying don't really attempt to follow the regs when it comes to VLOS. They just simply watch their display device and throw caution to the wind on any portion of the regs they don't want to try and follow.

I disagree. Looking at a screen that shows the FOV of a camera cannot give a better view of hazards. Hazards can appear quickly from above, below, behind or from the sides. There is no way a camera can compete with your eyesight that allows you to see the whole aircraft and everything that surrounds it when it is in VLOS.

Regulations exist to keep people and aircraft safe. More restrictions are being put in place because of attitudes like these.

Chris

I agree with you Chris

Yes they do if they want to stay legal. My Porsche can do 200 mph+ I wouldn't do that on a public road though and I still spent the money on the car.

So you've got a perfectly clean driving license? Never had points? Never broken a speed limit?
Also your Porsche can do 200 mph+ and people DO do this both where they should and shouldn't.

I've found the Pro2 to be a fair bit more visible at a distance but when you're more than a couple of hundred meters away against an overcast sky both are pretty much invisible :( I thought the Pro2 would stand out a lot more but I dont find it does.

Have flown MM 40 times. I have tested how far I can see it with my corrected 20/20 70 year old eyes. Limit for me is about 300 feet on a favorable day, and it's no more than a speck. To reorient the craft to fly back in a straight flight path really requires looking into the controller's display (a Galaxy S10+). Anything farther is a BVLOS operation, which is currently illegal for both recreational and commercial remote pilots (I am both.) Folks need to come into compliance.

Reactions: EricJT and JoeBoy
So you've got a perfectly clean driving license? Never had points? Never broken a speed limit?
Also your Porsche can do 200 mph+ and people DO do this both where they should and shouldn't.

I've found the Pro2 to be a fair bit more visible at a distance but when you're more than a couple of hundred meters away against an overcast sky both are pretty much invisible :( I thought the Pro2 would stand out a lot more but I dont find it does.

The preface stands Chris....."If you want to stay legal". It's your choice.

Reactions: old man mavic
The true meaning of VLOS would seem to be a situation where you can see the drone with your naked eye. But people who have spent $1000 or more for a mavic pro or MP2 with ocusync fly them well beyond the range where they can see the drone. When I had my mavic pro and routinely flew it out 2000 feet or more I couldn’t see it beyond 300 feet once I glanced down at the controller. How far out can you really see the much smaller mini? People don’t spend the money these things cost to only fly them within eyesight.

Real world VLOS seems to mean flying which no obstacles between the controller and the drone. I’m not talking whether it’s legal or illegal, just what the reality is.
In UK it means the UAV must be visible by the operator and by that I mean the person flying the UAV as by the new definition the Operator can be the drone owner and not the flyer, at all times. This presents an issue as the weather and time of day will play a part. Lights on the drone would help but beyond say 300 meters only people with 20/20 vision or excellent corrective glasses will be able to see it. I get floaters in my eyes so when I look up at a featureless grey sky I see dozens of blobs that look like drones. The DJI drones are coloured helpful shades of grey to blend in perfectly with the UK usual grey skies. I am considering painting mine in dayglow yellow. There is no eyesight test requirement for UAV pilots - perhaps there should be? FPV is perhaps a special case and may need independent rules Flying FPV in a large internal space like a hanger around an obstacle course would be permitted, same for all drones really. Outside is aviation control body airspace. For the EU and the UK (according to the CAA) new EASA regulations coming in July 2020 will allow special training certification to allow BLOS. This training will have a cost associated with it.

Have flown MM 40 times. I have tested how far I can see it with my corrected 20/20 70 year old eyes. Limit for me is about 300 feet on a favorable day, and it's no more than a speck. To reorient the craft to fly back in a straight flight path really requires looking into the controller's display (a Galaxy S10+). Anything farther is a BVLOS operation, which is currently illegal for both recreational and commercial remote pilots (I am both.) Folks need to come into compliance.
I'm 65 and have floaters in my field of vision so I see loads of drones all the time :) ... What happens when we develop cataracts or other vision impairments but could still see the screen ? Would we have to stop flying ? Regulations on this may vary from country to country too.

In UK it means the UAV must be visible by the operator and by that I mean the person flying the UAV as by the new definition the Operator can be the drone owner and not the flyer, at all times.

or a competent spotter in the case of FPV.

So technically all FPV drone pilots are flying totally illegal in the US and Canada since they have googles they can't see anything with their eyes?
Illegal - Not necessarily! Legally the pilot may wear the FPV and fly while a VO is present and performing as a VO per the guide lines of the FAA. Illegally would be flying a registered drone with FPV and no VO! (Outdoors)

I'm 65 and have floaters in my field of vision so I see loads of drones all the time :) ... What happens when we develop cataracts or other vision impairments but could still see the screen ? Would we have to stop flying ? Regulations on this may vary from country to country too.
Well, in my case my cataracts were affecting my QoL (night time driving, etc.), so I had cataract surgery. My new lenses provide me 20/20 vision whereas previously I had to wear corrective lenses for my entire life.

Although as pointed out, my M2P at a distance but still within VLOS is a challenge when glancing down at my SC. Solution.....Arc II strobes! Love them for visibility and orientation.

I just ordered 4 of the Firehouse ARC-xl strobes and some @Aerial-Pixel mounts. It the brightest on the market by 20% and has the L.A.N.D. Technology for finding a lost drone.,, check them out.
Come with a certification of visibility for 3 miles.

Another point worthwhile keeping in mind, not only are the majority of pilots breaking the VLOS rule, but if you sync your flight records in DJI Go 4 to see your total number of hours and kilometres grow, who else has access to this data that could possibly be used against you at sometime!

Yes they do if they want to stay legal. My Porsche can do 200 mph+ I wouldn't do that on a public road though and I still spent the money on the car.

Just curious, since you brought it up, have you ever driven your Porsche more than 30 mph over the posted limit?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seaphotos