DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

REALLY torn - upgrade or not?!

RobotBee

Reactions
I'm REALLY torn...

Currently got a MA Fly More, and I've had a lot of problems with the MA so the retailer has offered to give me back what I paid for it as a discount off a MA2.

That would be a good deal if I definitely wanted to upgrade, but I'm really not sure that I do, so any comments on my list of pros and cons would be much appreciated.

I shoot a bit of video for fun, but not seriously. I don't care about 4K/60. I'm pretty serious about my still photography. The 48MP isn't a big deal to me as I rarely need to crop, but better low light capability would be nice - however someone mentioned the 48MP sensor needs more light....

Pros for upgrading:
Occusync (note that I'm in the UK so I'm looking at Occusync CE vs Wifi FCC)
Longer battery life
Quieter
Future smart controller compatibility
Dedicated button to flip gimbal instantly between vertical and horizontal

Cons for upgrading
Size
Fly app - hate it, from what I've seen
No litchi support
No Smatree portable charger available (yet) - I use the one for my MA all the time

Haha sorry, not really any specific questions, just saying what's on my mind to see if anyone comments....

Pro’s outweigh the Con’s. Trade up.
I wouldn’t even hesitate if I had been having issues with
the other. I don’t care for the app ether but you can live with that.

Pro’s outweigh the Con’s. Trade up.
I wouldn’t even hesitate if I had been having issues with
the other. I don’t care for the app ether but you can live with that.

If I kept the MA, it would be repaired/replaced, so the issues should factor in from now on, but..... I am leaning towards the pros outweighing the cons... Thanks

go with your heart ,and do what you feel would be right for you

Reactions: Dbez1 and Neel194
Updates our coming ! As well as a possible price increase, Grab it .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the rain
Coal

Bottom line. Can you afford to upgrade without taking a financial hit? If yes l, then there is no reason not to upgrade.

Bottom line. Can you afford to upgrade without taking a financial hit? If yes l, then there is no reason not to upgrade.

I could stretch to it, but the size and Fly app are the main things putting me off.... Hate how you see your remaining flight time, but not how much time you need to allow for to fly home...

If you can afford it, upgrade. I had a mavic mini before this and occusync is that much better. The connection is FAR more stable. There are times my mini would disconnect or have serious lag and the air 2 is solid and steady. Definitely inspires a lot more confidence. Dont just look at the camera specs but also keep in mind the camera is what, 2, 3 years newer?

SO the MA2 is more than what you put in because of price increases? bummer. If the difference is a financial hit to you then that's a tough one, but there is no question this is an upgrade over the MA1. I have the MA1 FMC and loved it but it has it's faults. Aside from some controls I assume are coming to the Fly app, I've had less issues with the Fly app than with the GO app(that thing crashes constantly).

The things that matter to me

Cons:
Bigger - But not much
gimbal and drone settings - I assume they are coming

Pros:
Quieter
way more responsive
better signal - even short range
60fps
HDR
better Panos.
Love the controller and cable placement
longer flight time

Thanks for all the advice.

I have decided to stick with the MA1.

The main reason for this is my hatred for the Fly app and in particular its impossible-to-see battery indicator, and its lack of return to home time estimation.

Also, it doesn't work with either my phone or tablet I currently use for Go4, so would need to replace both of these.

No smatree portable charger available yet.

Much harder to transport - much bigger, and no hard case supplied with it - no aftermarket ones available yet. The whole flymore bag doesn't fit inside my camera bag, but the MA1 hard case and controller do easily.

My logic is that the deal I've been offered to upgrade now isn't amazingly good, and if I upgrade in the future if/when these issues are resolved, it shouldn't really cost me much more once I've sold my MA1 FMC separately.

Thanks for the opinions guys...

Reactions: old man mavic
Sounds like you have already decided, but one big pro you left out was the ADS-B. I have really come to like the system since I can have lower flying aircraft in my area even though I am more then 5 miles from an airport. I love that it gives me a heads up before I can even hear the plane and also shows me the direction of travel of the plane in relation to the MA2.

I too, am not in love with the Fly app, but I have come to terms with it. Although the battery percentage is hard to see a lot of the time, the time remaining on the battery is usually very readable and as it gets closer to go home time there is a warning that pops up telling you so.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Sounds like you have already decided, but one big pro you left out was the ADS-B. I have really come to like the system since I can have lower flying aircraft in my area even though I am more then 5 miles from an airport. I love that it gives me a heads up before I can even hear the plane and also shows me the direction of travel of the plane in relation to the MA2.

I too, am not in love with the Fly app, but I have come to terms with it. Although the battery percentage is hard to see a lot of the time, the time remaining on the battery is usually very readable and as it gets closer to go home time there is a warning that pops up telling you so.

Thanks for the reply - unfortunately, in the UK our MA2s aren't fitted with the ADS-B module.....

Good point about the battery flight time, but seems a poor substitute for being able to see the percentage - it fluctuates massively depending on how you're flying at that precise moment, so you have to do a lot of mental work to make any sense of it

I was out flying last night with my zoom and noticed that DJI has done an update to the GO 4 app and now it does not show the flight time remaining. Sooooooooo

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21