DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recall!! PGYTECH CPL and NDPL filters,

TheRock

Reactions
Got this message. Mine will actually be delivered tomorrow according to FedEx so I haven't experienced the problem. Has anyone else? I suspect the CPL or ND/PL filters have to be re-designed. I'd really like to use one, but not if the Mini will crash.

The message:

Thank you for purchasing. We are very sorry for the inconvenience we caused, we will give you a full refund. Your filter has uncontrollable risks, please stop using it.

We're very sorry to announce a product recall notice now .

Risks: After installation of PGYTECH CPL and NDPL filters, randomly some drones gimbal are keep shaking, and can’t fly as normal.

Recalled product: PGYTECH Mavic Mini CPL filter (P-12A-018)
PGYTECH Mavic Mini ND/PL set filter (P-12A-020)

Remedy: Consumer should stop using Mavic Mini CPL filter and ND-PL set filters.
PGYTECH Offical Store will give consumer a full refund, and a 40% discount code { P12A11284002 } for Mavic Mini ND and UV filter to express our apologies.

Sorry again for this inconvenience.
PGYTECH Team

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: JS1600 and Thomas B
Well, that sucks. I guess I'll just put on the CPL tomorrow and see what happens. I am traveling in 5 days and the Polarizer was a main part of the flight plan. Probably too late to replace it with another brand. PolarPro doesn't make any Mini filters yet.

Be especially aware of weight. The gimbal is designed to properly control the cameras shipped. Additional weight will stress the ability to control the camera. This is a particular issue with circular polarizer, as they are mechanically more complex than Nd filters. The lightest will have the best chance of working reliably.

Got this message. Mine will actually be delivered tomorrow according to FedEx so I haven't experienced the problem. Has anyone else? I suspect the CPL or ND/PL filters have to be re-designed. I'd really like to use one, but not if the Mini will crash.

The message:

Thank you for purchasing. We are very sorry for the inconvenience we caused, we will give you a full refund. Your filter has uncontrollable risks, please stop using it.

We're very sorry to announce a product recall notice now .

Risks: After installation of PGYTECH CPL and NDPL filters, randomly some drones gimbal are keep shaking, and can’t fly as normal.

Recalled product: PGYTECH Mavic Mini CPL filter (P-12A-018)
PGYTECH Mavic Mini ND/PL set filter (P-12A-020)

Remedy: Consumer should stop using Mavic Mini CPL filter and ND-PL set filters.
PGYTECH Offical Store will give consumer a full refund, and a 40% discount code { P12A11284002 } for Mavic Mini ND and UV filter to express our apologies.

Sorry again for this inconvenience.
PGYTECH Team
Thx for posting. Good offer from PGYTECH and great heads up for users. This may explain several of the problems posted by members.

I suspected the Mini gimbal would have problems with just about any additional weight, not to mention the very low clearance on the ground.

Reactions: JS1600
Oh man, I was just about to purchase one. Will they be redesigning/updating it or is it completely discontinued?

I found a CPL filter for the Mini on Amazon by some other company but it looks like it sticks onto the camera with double sided tape, which I don't think is a good idea.

• Haha
Reactions: TheRock
Oh man, I was just about to purchase one. Will they be redesigning/updating it or is it completely discontinued?

I found a CPL filter for the Mini on Amazon by some other company but it looks like it sticks onto the camera with double sided tape, which I don't think is a good idea.
Yes, I saw that too and I think I will also pass.

We are very sorry for the issues caused by our CPL and NDPL filters.
Indeed they have risks and would randomly cause the gimbal shaking, we have already made the recall announcement to all the customers and distributors.
Thanks for your trust on our brand.
Our UV and ND set filters are been tested many times, and no issues been found.
Any customer who bought CPL and NDPL, and want to change them to UV and ND set filters, we offer a 40% discount at PGYTECH official online store and Amazon store.

Please contact: [email protected] We will deal with your problem as soon as possible

Best

PGYTECH Leo

Reactions: Ramacher
Any CPL or NDPL filter adds weight, which voids the sub 250g exemption that is the 249g Mavic Mini's forte. It also clearly screws up the balance of the gimbal. Assuming the UV and ND set filters are the same weight as the stock filter, the Mini, with them installed and replacing the stock filter, would still be exempt as a sub 250g drone at launch.

Just FYI, my filters arrived today and I installed the CPL (it doesn't look C, just PL) hoping maybe my drone wouldn't be affected, but the second it connected with the controller, that shaking started. So I am filterless as of now and will see what I can work out with PYGTech. I really don't want to use an ND if I can get a PL.

Just FYI, my filters arrived today and I installed the CPL (it doesn't look C, just PL) hoping maybe my drone wouldn't be affected, but the second it connected with the controller, that shaking started. So I am filterless as of now and will see what I can work out with PYGTech. I really don't want to use an ND if I can get a PL.
You can't get PL without adding weight, because of the rotating second filter element, to adjust polarization. It's the extra weight over the stock filter that is the problem. It is being detected.

You can't get PL without adding weight, because of the rotating second filter element, to adjust polarization. It's the extra weight over the stock filter that is the problem. It is being detected.
Yes, but if you look at it nothing rotates, which is why I say it is just a PL, not a CPL. They also say their UV and ND works OK, but I want a PL filter if possible. I think it may actually have something to do with the way the attachment arm on the filter is working as opposed to the weight. I am sure they will figure out how to fix it. But their offer of an ND or UV filter does not solve my needs.

AS an aside, I also ordered the leg extensions and they are great and don't affect performance as near as I can tell with 2 flights.

PL needs rotation more than CPL does. Otherwise how can you adjust what light polarization you want to block and let through?
Exactly! The rotation requirement necessitates a second layer of glass that doubles the weight of the stock filter, leading to all the problems.

Last edited:
Exactly! The roation requirement necessitates a second layer of glass that doubles the weight of the stock filter, leading to all the problems.
There is nothing to rotate... look at the photo. ??? If you are saying the PL glass is thicker than the NDs that do work, I have no idea as I don't have one to compare it to. Anyway, it doesn't work, that I can verify and the drone doesn't like it so let's wait and see what they come up with to remedy this as their current offer doesn't really help that much... a UV ain't a PL.

You don't want an unadjustable PL or CPL, particularly in a drone, as the conditions you want to filter out will have various polarity. Even when you have adjustable and adjust them for what you filter out, when you move around, the polarization of the interference changes.

I do. I shoot almost exclusively over tropical ocean and beaches. The PL is a must. Just get the sun behind the drone and it does just fine. I can't see the reefs or corals without it and the sky loses contrast. The polarizer has a preset mark for best results.

Attachments

• Chuuk Lagoon Islands060.jpg
    Chuuk Lagoon Islands060.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 97
  • North Tumon Eds Nov 29, 2018_30.JPG
    North Tumon Eds Nov 29, 2018_30.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 93
  • DJI_0031.JPG
    DJI_0031.JPG
    9.2 MB · Views: 88
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals