DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recent article on remote ID.

Texbow

Reactions
REMOTE ID & UNIVERSAL TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT

Curious how many of you have read the recent article in Rotor Drone (October issue) regarding remote ID. I've seen two camps in regard to remote ID, it's the end of the drone community and it's not that big of a deal. This article seems to suggest the later. Is the author missing something?

REMOTE ID & UNIVERSAL TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT

Curious how many of you have read the recent article in Rotor Drone (October issue) regarding remote ID. I've seen two camps in regard to remote ID, it's the end of the drone community and it's not that big of a deal. This article seems to suggest the later. Is the author missing something?
He’s not wrong, but oversimplified for remote locations with no cellular signal. But the proposed rules may cover that.

He’s not wrong, but oversimplified for remote locations with no cellular signal. But the proposed rules may cover that.

I'm not saying right or wrong but exactly what do you mean by "oversimplified"?

I'm not saying right or wrong but exactly what do you mean by "oversimplified"?
Assumes at every location a cell signal (and internet) is available.

Reactions: BigAl07
Assumes at every location a cell signal (and internet) is available.

No there is a provision in the proposal for "No Cell Service". IIRC is simply states that the unit must update/transmit back to the internet ASAP. For Search & Rescue this would mean when we get back to Incident Command etc we could then upload the flight data.

I don't have the link in front of me ATM but there is a graphic that fairly well depicts this I'll try and locate it tonight if I can.

There are lots of area and people that don't have internet. It has become a big problem for remote learning lately on account of covid.

The author doesn't have a crystal ball regarding how devastating this rule might be to the community, the FAA only cares about pleasing the Cohort partners who are nothing more than lawyer lobbyists pushing for a USS remote ID government contract. The industry doesn't know how RID might prevent midair collisions inbetween BVLOS craft. DJI isn't going to do anything until the rule is final because they don't know what the rule will be, or if they'll be able to comply with whatever. The FAA will finalize the rule soon, in a desperate attempt to please it's customers.
Regardless if safety will be enhanced, this way, we can put someone in jail for taking pictures of our national parks.

Last edited:
The author doesn't have a crystal ball regarding how devastating this rule might be to the community, the FAA only cares about pleasing the Cohort partners who are nothing more than lawyer lobbyists pushing for a USS remote ID government contract. The industry doesn't know how RID might prevent midair collisions inbetween BVLOS craft. DJI isn't going to do anything until the rule is final because they don't know what the rule will be, or if they'll be able to comply with whatever. The FAA will finalize the rule soon, in a desperate attempt to please it's customers.
Regardless if safety will be enhanced, this way, we can put someone in jail for taking pictures of our national parks.
Well, the rule is final as of today. Unclear how/if DJI drones are compliant, but rule won't go into effect till March '21 at earliest.

Published 12-28-2020
....I read the full text of the FAA document, https://www.faa.gov/news/media/attachments/RemoteID_Final_Rule.pdf
You should too. Looks like there’s about 2.5 years for compliance with the new regs on remote ID.
But there's this:
The FAA also proposed the production compliance date would be 2 years after the proposed effective date, and the operational compliance date would be 3 years after the proposed effective date. However, given the changes in policy concepts since the publication of the NPRM, the FAA has instead decided to change the effective date of this rule to 60 days from the date of publication—with the exception of subpart C concerning FAA-recognized identification areas, which becomes effective 18 months following the 60 day effective date.

I interpret this to mean March '21 for compliance. Anyone think otherwise?

But there's this:
The FAA also proposed the production compliance date would be 2 years after the proposed effective date, and the operational compliance date would be 3 years after the proposed effective date. However, given the changes in policy concepts since the publication of the NPRM, the FAA has instead decided to change the effective date of this rule to 60 days from the date of publication—with the exception of subpart C concerning FAA-recognized identification areas, which becomes effective 18 months following the 60 day effective date.

I interpret this to mean March '21 for compliance. Anyone think otherwise?
I read the document as having a final suspense date 2.5 years from the issuance by FAA. So that would make it summer of 2023 for the remote ID section compliance by operators for drones produced before the final documents.

I read the document as having a final suspense date 2.5 years from the issuance by FAA. So that would make it summer of 2023 for the remote ID section compliance by operators for drones produced before the final documents.
Yep... The FAA also adopts the production compliance date as 18 months after the rule’s effective date, and the operational compliance date as 30 months after the rule’s effective date.

Reactions: Thomas B
Yep... The FAA also adopts the production compliance date as 18 months after the rule’s effective date, and the operational compliance date as 30 months after the rule’s effective date.
Correct, I just got the M2Z a couple of months ago, and I will have to get a new drone in two and a half years after the effective date. Hope the M2Z lasts. I assume any of our older drones not in compliance will not be able to be used.

Correct, I just got the M2Z a couple of months ago, and I will have to get a new drone in two and a half years. Hope the M2Z lasts. I assume any of our older drones not in compliance will not be able to be used.
Looks to be the case... taken care of your Zoom should last at least that long... hate that it may ground my older drones... but retrofit devices will likely appear soon.

This is going to be a big problem for lower end consumer drones like Syma and Tello.
But then I can't get video from the Tello with my Galaxy S20 FE, not even with TelloFPV, so already that's becoming obsolete.

Looks to be the case... taken care of your Zoom should last at least that long... hate that it may ground my older drones... but retrofit devices will likely appear soon.
Yeah retro fit devices will show up. If there is money to be made on all the existing drones DJI will do it.

I was happy to hear this about recreational flight from the AMA. Whether it's accurate or not, I don't know.

Q: Do I have to pay a monthly subscription fee to a UAS service provider?
A: No. These requirements in the earlier proposed rule were removed in the final rule along with the need to connect to the internet.
Q: I don’t fly at an AMA chartered flying site. How does this rule impact me?
A: Those flying outside of an established flying site can meet the Remote ID requirements by flying a standard Remote ID-equipped aircraft or an aircraft equipped with a broadcast module.
Q: What changes are there to FAA registration?
A: All of the previous registration requirements in the proposed rule were removed in this final rule. You only have to register once every three years for $5, regardless of how many aircraft you own.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
If there is money to be made on all the existing drones DJI will do it.
Would you expect them to just give you the necessary hardware free? They are not the ones introducing the remote ID requirement.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett