DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations for In Car Charger?

Strange, my DJI car charger works with all three of my vehicles with the engine off. Just turn the ignition to accessory (or to the ON position, depending on vehicle) and use one of the 12V power outlets.
If your vehicle battery voltage drops so low when charging the charger will probably switch off, but your 12V battery must be small or past it's use by date to do that while charging a small Mavic battery.
I had a massive, brand new battery in my 4x4, with a dedicated direct feed to the charger on way OTT 30amp wiring.
Yes ... after running the car for some while, it would start to charge the MP battery without the engine running, but it never completed the charge from 30%-ish.
I was often camping in one place for several nights, and hiking from the campsites. Having to drive somewhere after I got back in the evening to charge the batteries was a real pain. Had to leave the campsite to avoid the engine running amongst the other campers whilst three batteries recharged ... in sequence.

I had a massive, brand new battery in my 4x4, with a dedicated direct feed to the charger on way OTT 30amp wiring.
Yes ... after running the car for some while, it would start to charge the MP battery without the engine running, but it never completed the charge from 30%-ish.
I was often camping in one place for several nights, and hiking from the campsites. Having to drive somewhere after I got back in the evening to charge the batteries was a real pain. Had to leave the campsite to avoid the engine running amongst the other campers whilst three batteries recharged ... in sequence.

Yup, perfect example. I now realize that most of the stuff I got with FMC (including both chargers and hub) is collecting dust.

Reactions: OzoneVibe
I am looking for a way to charge my Mavic batteries while out and about in the car.

Does anyone have any experience of any of the 3rd party car chargers?

Or should I just get an original DJI car charger?
Don't bother. Just get an inverter to plug into your 12v outlet, and use the charger that comes with the Mavic

I should consider myself lucky then.
I've not had a single problem with either of my chargers. Used the 12V one so much on our holidays. Granted a number of times it's charging while driving, but never stopped short when the vehicle was off.

Hmm.. Interesting point about needing to be 13.4v to charge, that could be an issue. Up until that point I was thinking that converting from DC up to AC, then back to DC didn't make sense.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
I should consider myself lucky then.
I've not had a single problem with either of my chargers. Used the 12V one so much on our holidays. Granted a number of times it's charging while driving, but never stopped short when the vehicle was off.

What car make/year? Maybe it has a battery of different chemistry than standard lead-acid? I heard about Li-ion batteries in car battery form factor, but haven't looked at them as they are 2x more expensive than even good AGM/gel batteries.

What car make/year? Maybe it has a battery of different chemistry than standard lead-acid? I heard about Li-ion batteries in car battery form factor, but haven't looked at them as they are 2x more expensive than even good AGM/gel batteries.
I'd love to hear how someone with a Tesla (and other EVs) gets on, too.

Hmm.. Interesting point about needing to be 13.4v to charge, that could be an issue. Up until that point I was thinking that converting from DC up to AC, then back to DC didn't make sense.

There are DC->DC voltage converters on ebay and amazon, they can bump the voltage up, don't cost much. But for me, sine wave Bestek 300W charger for $30 and PowerExtra 5in1 for $40 is a killer combo.

There are DC->DC voltage converters on ebay and amazon, they can bump the voltage up, don't cost much. But for me, sine wave Bestek 300W charger for $30 and PowerExtra 5in1 for $40 is a killer combo.

You charge 3 batteries at once?

How long does ought take?

Two vehicles are good old lead acid (albeit large capacity) and the third has a Varta AGM with from memory a 70Ah capacity.
I'm sure it has more to do with me not discharging my Mavic batteries so low. I prefer to get the shots I need, land and charge that battery rather than use it till it's near flat.
Clearly if you wanted to charge three batteries whilst parked up you're not going to have much luck. Or you can just run the car if needed. I charge each battery as soon as I can one at a time.
Works a treat for me personally. I've used the 12V charger more times than I can remember and not once had an issue.
A while back I looked at the LiFePO4 batteries for one of my vehicles, but had a stroke when I was quoted the price. Way more expensive than Li-ion.

Ive never got the mavic car charger to work for more than a few minutes, at most, in any car with the engine not running, even a brand new car with a non lead acid type battery.

If other people are, id hazard a guess that maybe their alternator is faulty and over charging the battery, which is great for using the mavic car charger, but not so good for the life of the car battery

I have an inverter , Along with a $40 automotive battery from Walmart.

Every so often I charge the battery. I keep the battery in the back of my car, attach it to the inverter, and plug the Mavic charger into the inverter.

Works great.

I’ve been doing some further reading, and of course the “pure sine wave” inverters are quite a bit more expensive than those not stating that.
Is it a definite “must have” or will the mains charger work with a more basic inverter?

Dc dc converter is the cheapest way out. Get one that has 10-14v input and 12-16v output.
No point using an inverter in a car to go from 12v to 240v or 110v to chatge 13v battery.
The dji car charger also chargers quicker than the house charger.
Dc dc converters are only about 20- 40 bucks on ebay/ amazon.

When a car is off resting battery voltage is less than what the dji car charger requires.
I have a modern car with a computer controlled alternator so even when i am driving and the battery is full the computer regulates the voltage to lessthan wjat the charger requires so i am stuffed whether the car is on or off.
Dc to dc converter fixed this north problem for minimal cost.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Htrismegistus