DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations for RAW converter?

JT437

Reactions
Hi, I have a Mini 2, which I think is great, and capable of taking quite beautiful photos (I'm more of a stills guy, than a video guy).

Now I've come to drones from a background in DSLR and MILC photography, so I'm quite familiar with RAW files (I always shoot in RAW+JPG on my Nikon) and was very pleased to see the Mini 2 supports RAW via DNG files.

Problem I have is, I just can't find a good RAW converter that understands the slightly weird DJI DNG format. Well, anything that isn't made by Adobe, anyway...

Can anyone suggest a good, preferably free, RAW converter that works well with DJI DNG files please?

Please don't suggest anything by Adobe. They make great software, yes, but I can't afford and don't want to get Lightroom or PS.

I'm looking at RAWTherapee but I'm not really keen on the UI.

Ideally, I'd just like a CODEC that will let me use my existing photo editing software.

Oh, I'm an Apple Mac person, and I use an M1 iMac. I love macOS and it does everything I want, except it can't properly decode DJI DNG files. They either won't open, else they do open, but have loads of strange artefacts present in the image. I'd just like some lightweight software that will let me perform the basic edits (exposure, white balance, highlights/shadows sharpening etc) on a DJI DNG file, and let me export the result to JPEG.

If absolutely necessary, I can use a Windows laptop but ... I'd rather stick with macOS if possible.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you!

You should look into On1 Photo Raw 2022. Very similar to Lightroom, but only better IMO. I think it runs around $100, but there are 20% coupons out there and they often have sales. It is extremely powerful, has AI correction if you want it and many modules. Right now they're promoting a re-size addon which I've come to believe is extremely powerful (extra cost, I think). It is 100% compatible with Photoshop. Additionally, unlike Lightroom where you have to "import" the files first before you can work on them, you On1 lets you work on images direct from their libraries. Very powerful. I think they have a subscription model, but I just buy the program outright. I think I've been using this app since 2019 and have never had the urge to open Lightroom even though I have a subscription for it.

Here's a link. Don't forget to look for discounts and coupons. On1 Photo Raw Link

You should look into On1 Photo Raw 2022. Very similar to Lightroom, but only better IMO. I think it runs around $100, but there are 20% coupons out there and they often have sales. It is extremely powerful, has AI correction if you want it and many modules. Right now they're promoting a re-size addon which I've come to believe is extremely powerful (extra cost, I think). It is 100% compatible with Photoshop. Additionally, unlike Lightroom where you have to "import" the files first before you can work on them, you On1 lets you work on images direct from their libraries. Very powerful. I think they have a subscription model, but I just buy the program outright. I think I've been using this app since 2019 and have never had the urge to open Lightroom even though I have a subscription for it.

Here's a link. Don't forget to look for discounts and coupons. On1 Photo Raw Link

Well, I've run some "tests" on the Mini 2's DNG (RAW) files, comparing them to the "straight from the drone" JPEGs using a few different RAW converters (not Lightroom or PS ACR) and to be honest, I'm not really impressed with the results. I'm no expert, but to my eyes, the DNGs just look ... well, poor quality (I know how RAW sensor data works, yes).

I'm a great believer in RAW for DSLRs/MILCs, but I don't think it's worth my effort to go down that road with the DJI. Especially when (under most circumstances I find myself in) the Mini 2 produces beautiful JPEGs straight from the drone - well exposed, good WB, sharp, fairly noise-free and with reasonable dynamic range.

So I think I'll ignore the RAW functionality for now. It's nice that. it's there, but for my needs, I'll stick with JPEGs. They can still be tweaked slightly for exposure, WB etc after all.

If yr a photographer, you’ve invested in a good DSLR and an expensive drone, why wouldn’t u use Lightroom? there’s nothing that compares ( believe me I’ve tried them all). Bridge is ok but it’s Adobe. I don’t think you’ll find many serious photographers that don’t use Lightroom. Yes we all hate Adobe but yr throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Hi, I have a Mini 2, which I think is great, and capable of taking quite beautiful photos (I'm more of a stills guy, than a video guy).

Now I've come to drones from a background in DSLR and MILC photography, so I'm quite familiar with RAW files (I always shoot in RAW+JPG on my Nikon) and was very pleased to see the Mini 2 supports RAW via DNG files.

Problem I have is, I just can't find a good RAW converter that understands the slightly weird DJI DNG format. Well, anything that isn't made by Adobe, anyway...

Can anyone suggest a good, preferably free, RAW converter that works well with DJI DNG files please?

Please don't suggest anything by Adobe. They make great software, yes, but I can't afford and don't want to get Lightroom or PS.

Ideally, I'd just like a CODEC that will let me use my existing photo editing software.

Oh, I'm an Apple Mac person, and I use an M1 iMac. I love macOS and it does everything I want, except it can't properly decode DJI DNG files. They either won't open, else they do open, but have loads of strange artefacts present in the image. I'd just like some lightweight software that will let me perform the basic edits (exposure, white balance, highlights/shadows sharpening etc) on a DJI DNG file, and let me export the result to JPEG.

If absolutely necessary, I can use a Windows laptop but ... I'd rather stick with macOS if possible.

Can anyone help please?

Thank you!
Sorry to mention Adobe but I 've been using this for free for hundreds of years and they have updates to include every single camera possible. Here is the link. Click on the download.

Dale
Miami
download

Can anyone help please?

Thank you!
Adobe do a FREE raw converter, just google adobe DNG converter, cheers Len

Well, I've run some "tests" on the Mini 2's DNG (RAW) files, comparing them to the "straight from the drone" JPEGs using a few different RAW converters (not Lightroom or PS ACR) and to be honest, I'm not really impressed with the results. I'm no expert, but to my eyes, the DNGs just look ... well, poor quality (I know how RAW sensor data works, yes).

I'm a great believer in RAW for DSLRs/MILCs, but I don't think it's worth my effort to go down that road with the DJI. Especially when (under most circumstances I find myself in) the Mini 2 produces beautiful JPEGs straight from the drone - well exposed, good WB, sharp, fairly noise-free and with reasonable dynamic range.

So I think I'll ignore the RAW functionality for now. It's nice that. it's there, but for my needs, I'll stick with JPEGs. They can still be tweaked slightly for exposure, WB etc after all.
I came to a similar conclusion with my new smartphone, a pixel 6 pro. Unlike earlier ones, try as hard as I could, in LR at least, I couldn't get the raw pics as good as the in camera jpg. I suspect it's because my ILC (canon m6ii) has great dynamic range, so there's always lots of shadow detail to recover and the same dynamic range gives lots of room to improve color, saturation and all the rest, probably because of the big sensor. The small sensors on these drones don't have the same dynamic range. That's my guess, anyway.

You are saying, essentially, that you will not be considering any drone photography where there are shadows? I am talking about sunrises, sunsets, canyons, etc. In order to fully bring out details in shadows, which always happen in the above circumstances, you would need the full capability of more pixels and data. I think you are selling yourself short. RAW files are not really that difficult, and the ability to recover shadow details is essential for most good imagery.

Consider the two images I am attaching; both are the dame image, one with no editing or shadow recovery and the re-touched image for comparison. Do not yell me that you would accept the image with the shadows!
click on image to enlarge.

Dale
Miami

Attachments

• Un-retouched file with deep shadows.jpg
    585.1 KB · Views: 24
  • etouched file with deep shadows.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
You are saying, essentially, that you will not be considering any drone photography where there are shadows? I am talking about sunrises, sunsets, canyons, etc. In order to fully bring out details in shadows, which always happen in the above circumstances, you would need the full capability of more pixels and data. I think you are selling yourself short. RAW files are not really that difficult, and the ability to recover shadow details is essential for most good imagery.

Consider the two images I am attaching; both are the dame image, one with no editing or shadow recovery and the re-touched image for comparison. Do not yell me that you would accept the image with the shadows!
click on image to enlarge.

Dale
Miami
But these weren't drone pics, were they? And it's not particularly fair to compare an undeveloped raw file to a developed raw file. A realistic comparison would be small sensor drone pic, raw to jpg. Can you deliver on that?

Keep in mind too that our small sensor drones have a workaround. It's called HDR...

But these weren't drone pics, were they? And it's not particularly fair to compare an undeveloped raw file to a developed raw file. A realistic comparison would be small sensor drone pic, raw to jpg. Can you deliver on that?

Keep in mind too that our small sensor drones have a workaround. It's called HDR...
Certainly I can deliver. I have done it over and over on this forum. Just look at any submitted sunrise or sunset to this forum. The majority of images show a grossly underexposed foreground. I don't have to the time now to search through but send me one of your recent sunset or sunrise images and I will edit it for you to show you the difference. Just because you prefer to go simple is no way to deny that RAW is a superior product. Any photographer will instantly see the difference.

Certainly I can deliver. I have done it over and over on this forum. Just look at any submitted sunrise or sunset to this forum. The majority of images show a grossly underexposed foreground. I don't have to the time now to search through but send me one of your recent sunset or sunrise images and I will edit it for you to show you the difference. Just because you prefer to go simple is no way to deny that RAW is a superior product. Any photographer will instantly see the difference.
So actually, I found this one right away. The foregrounds are always underexposed due to high dynamic range, . You simply cannot get a decent exposure without doing isolated adjustments on a raw file. I did this edit on a Jan.9th file submitted to the forum. Screen Shot 2022-04-22 at 5.51.30 PM.png

So actually, I found this one right away. The foregrounds are always underexposed due to high dynamic range, . You simply cannot get a decent exposure without doing isolated adjustments on a raw file. I did this edit on a Jan.9th file submitted to the forum. View attachment 147143
Yes, easy to see the difference. One is waaay over-processed...unless you like that instagram look.
And with what kind/size of sensor was this made? Probably not a mini 2!!!
And yet again, what would a jpg produced by the same camera look like?

You're being pretty irrational about this, finding examples to prove your point that don't actually have much to do with the preceding discussion.

Yes, easy to see the difference. One is waaay over-processed...unless you like that instagram look.
And with what kind/size of sensor was this made? Probably not a mini 2!!!
And yet again, what would a jpg produced by the same camera look like?

You're being pretty irrational about this, finding examples to prove your point that don't actually have much to do with the preceding discussion.
Forget it

Reactions: EricJT
A realistic comparison would be small sensor drone pic, raw to jpg. Can you deliver on that?
These are not from a Mini 2 but they are from a drone that has the same sensor size at 1/2.3" 12 Megapixel

The JPEG is unaltered except for size the DNG was converted using Adobe's free converter, corrected in an older version of Photoshop and exported as a PNG. This photo was taken about six years ago, since then I now use Affinity Photo for all of my photos as it is the closest thing to Photoshop but it is a one time price under 100 bucks - no subscription.

JPEG Out Of Camera

YUN_0011JPG.jpg

DNG

YUN_0011DNGB.png

These are not from a Mini 2 but they are from a drone that has the same sensor size at 1/2.3" 12 Megapixel

The JPEG is unaltered except for size the DNG was converted using Adobe's free converter, corrected in an older version of Photoshop and exported as a PNG. This photo was taken about six years ago, since then I now use Affinity Photo for all of my photos as it is the closest thing to Photoshop but it is a one time price under 100 bucks - no subscription.

JPEG Out Of Camera

View attachment 147146

DNG

View attachment 147147

So I took your RAW file and ran it through Adobe Photoshop 2022 using the Masking tool for both the sky and foreground. Here are the processed and original compared. Processed in Adobe Photoshop 2022 using Masking tool.jpgScreen Shot 2022-04-22 at 6.34.02 PM.png

So I took your RAW file and ran it through Adobe Photoshop 2022 using the Masking tool for both the sky and foreground. Here are the processed and original compared.

Yes, masking the PNG as you have done can allow that but (as I am sure you know), I could have pushed those shadows much further than as my example in the DNG above - without a mask. At some point it is up to the creator to decide how far an image is pushed as it comes down to artistic desires.

But the point remains - even a 1/2.3" sensor can yield a raw image that certainly can yield much better results that the JPEG. Moreover it gives much more latitude to the creator than a JPEG ever will.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3