DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(RECOVERED!!) Mavic Pro tangled up in tree branch above river

Option.... Purchase a suicide drone. This would be a small toy drone like the Eachline E58. Purchase 70lb fishing line.
Drill a hole in the back of the drone housing and tie the fishing line to it. Unroll the line and have someone feed the line as you fly the drone over the hung up drone in the tree. You want the drone to literally crash into the far side of the drone caught in the tree. The E58 drone will then become the "hook" that captures your drone. Now pull on the line from shore so that you are pulling with the smallest downward angle. You want to pull it off the top of the branches not throught the branches. Once the drone is free you are pulling it out of the water.
In the event that you put the E58 in the water simply dry it out and try again. I have one and it has been swimming several times and still works well.
Hope this helps.

Oh I could just kick myself for not being more aware of my surroundings!! I was taking footage of an old train bridge and wasn't paying attention to how close I was to some trees. Boom- she got tangled up in the branches and is currently hanging about 15 feet above the St. Croix river just outside Prescott, WI. It's even more frustrating due to the fact that I know it can probably be salvaged with little damage and I can see the **** thing but just can't get to it. The river is really high and the current is fast now, plus there's still ice on a good portion so a boat is pretty much out of the question. I'm guessing either the branches will eventually untangle themselves and the drone will drop or it will get rained on and pretty much be a lost cause. I do have my FCC ID on the side of it and my name and phone number inside the battery compartment, so if someone happens to notice it maybe I'll get a call someday.

If the river weren't so high I would normally be able to walk out to at least where the base of the tree is and somehow grab it. I really don't know what to do at this point.
Go to a pool Supply here in Florida they are everywhere try "Pinch a Penny" or find a pool cleanning service they probably have a telescopic hook with mesh a 24-28 foot telescopic tool will do the job.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190406-152141.jpg
    Screenshot_20190406-152141.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 13
The easiest recovery use another strong drone and snag airlift away.
What? The strong drone fumbled and also got snagged?

Sorry to hear about your plight and understand your frustration. Same thing happened to me recently. Luckily my neighbour is a tree surgeon and he was more than happy to climb up there and rescue my MP without a scratch to either himself or the drone. He did not charge me for his time, saying it was enlightening to be able to shin up a tree for fun rather than work. Hope my story is helpful, maybe you could look into that line of rescue.

The thread has been modified to RECOVERED, how about a little how-it-was-recovered details please.
Difficult to tell how substantial the tree limbs are from your pic, but if they can support someone's weight near enough to your drone, and using German Barrios' idea of a telescopic pond net, it may be possible to retrieve the aircraft that way. I suspect your new drone is worth a lot more than paying someone to shin up there!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots