DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(RECOVERED!!) Mavic Pro tangled up in tree branch above river

IT_Guy71

Reactions
Oh I could just kick myself for not being more aware of my surroundings!! I was taking footage of an old train bridge and wasn't paying attention to how close I was to some trees. Boom- she got tangled up in the branches and is currently hanging about 15 feet above the St. Croix river just outside Prescott, WI. It's even more frustrating due to the fact that I know it can probably be salvaged with little damage and I can see the **** thing but just can't get to it. The river is really high and the current is fast now, plus there's still ice on a good portion so a boat is pretty much out of the question. I'm guessing either the branches will eventually untangle themselves and the drone will drop or it will get rained on and pretty much be a lost cause. I do have my FCC ID on the side of it and my name and phone number inside the battery compartment, so if someone happens to notice it maybe I'll get a call someday.

If the river weren't so high I would normally be able to walk out to at least where the base of the tree is and somehow grab it. I really don't know what to do at this point.

Attachments

• binoculars view.jpg
    binoculars view.jpg
    716.8 KB · Views: 326
  • View from drone.jpg
    View from drone.jpg
    405.9 KB · Views: 321
  • wide shot of drone location.jpg
    wide shot of drone location.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 311
Sorry your in that situation :( I can only feel your pain! Best of luck on your recovery and let us know how things turn out!

I've not rescued my done yet, but I've rescued my foamy model airplane from situations like this. 3/4 inch PVC, 10 foot long sections with a rope loop on the end. Push the first 10 foot into the branches, glue on a PVC union, connect the second 10 foot section, glue it, push that up in the branches, on and on. Then work the rope loop around some part of it, and pull it tight. Then work it down. I've always gotten it back, but with some damage. It can take an hour or more. The longest rescue I've done is 40 fee away.

Jabrockert- I've thought of something like that. Problem is the area directly below the trees is in just over a foot of water where normally it's dry. Plus the current is pretty strong and it was 37 yesterday. I actually bought rubber boots thinking the water wouldn't be too high but after about a foot away from the edge the water was just about to come over the top of the boots.

I may see if someone has waders- I'm pretty sure that would work but the drone is hanging out sooo far from the shore and you can't tell where the land drops off. It could be pretty dangerous. Any other tips?

Seeing where it is at.. I think your best bet is to find someone with a pontoon boat.. that way you have a bigger deck for it to land on when your trying to get it untangle from the branches.

Seeing where it is at.. I think your best bet is to find someone with a pontoon boat.. that way you have a bigger deck for it to land on when your trying to get it untangle from the branches.
Drone with some type of hook hanging from it to grab. A possible business opportunity

I've used a pole saw before, one with a saw blade and clipper on the end . I cut limbs around the plane in an effort to get to it. Had a fishing net on the end of my PVC pole under it. I got a few parts this way.....LOL

If it’s just a water issue go by some fishing waiters they will cover up to your chest.

Go to your local hardware store and buy an extendable (8 to 24 feet) painters pole (+ - $32). also get the roller assembly (+- $7) Take the roller assembly and reform the end it to make a hook out of it. Overall length 25 feet. Excellent for getting down airplanes and drones. Next is a boat and a few spotters (friends), hopefully your drone doesn't go into the drink.

Get some cheap agricultural netting for it to fall into. Tie it up in the tree so it won't fall into the water. After that shake, poke and saw it out of the tree. Good luck

I'm not sure why you can't take
I've not rescued my done yet, but I've rescued my foamy model airplane from situations like this. 3/4 inch PVC, 10 foot long sections with a rope loop on the end. Push the first 10 foot into the branches, glue on a PVC union, connect the second 10 foot section, glue it, push that up in the branches, on and on. Then work the rope loop around some part of it, and pull it tight. Then work it down. I've always gotten it back, but with some damage. It can take an hour or more. The longest rescue I've done is 40 fee away.

OP, I'm not sure why you can't take jabrockert's idea and run with it? it doesn't matter if the limb is over water... what matters is you should be able to stand on dry land, keep adding 10' sections of pvc (with rope/loop) until you get the loop around the drone - pull the rope tight... now your drone is secure... start gently pulling the pole back in... if you need a second person with another pole with a 'Y' end to support/hold your retriever pole up you shouldn't have a big problem getting it back...

Last edited:
I wish it were that simple. The tree is deceptively far from dry land (I’d guess 80-100’) and about 15 feet up in the air. We tried wading out to it yesterday but we got up to our waist and it was still getting deeper. I think my only option at this point is a canoe or boat of some kind. Appreciate the suggestions you guys keep em coming. Maybe someone will come up with something that I hadn’t even thought of.

Maybe try a long fishing pole, those things a pretty long and light weight.

I looked on google earth and measured the distance from the shore to the tree it’s in. Holy **** I was way off- it’s about 200’. I may try a canoe with a buddy hoping that works and rain holds off for a few days.

You might want to try your canoe idea (with a friend for safety) and an extendable pool skimmer.
The one I have extends almost 25’ and has a net on the end.
Either way, goof luck, be safe and don’t take too much a risk. It’s only a drone.

Reactions: TR Ganey
You might want to try your canoe idea (with a friend for safety) and an extendable pool skimmer.
The one I have extends almost 25’ and has a net on the end.
Either way, goof luck, be safe and don’t take too much a risk. It’s only a drone.

I hear that- I'm not doin anything without a helper.

Reactions: TR Ganey
it happened to me a similar thing with a dobby drone, a friend pulled it down with a slingshot but there was no water underneath, you could look like this, one who shoots with a sling and the other tries to catch him with a network when it falls ;)

I looked on google earth and measured the distance from the shore to the tree it’s in. Holy **** I was way off- it’s about 200’. I may try a canoe with a buddy hoping that works and rain holds off for a few days.
200 feet? ...the tree is growing on land, and the canopy of the tree extends 200 feet over the water? .. and presumably 200 fee tin the other direction. That means your tree is bigger than a football field???

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78