DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

(RECOVERED!!) Mavic Pro tangled up in tree branch above river

No the tree is located about 200’ from the shore. I can see how you’d be confused- it’s on a little peninsula that is usually not under water.

Reactions: Ray Singcar
Well I’m happy to say I was able to recover “Mav”! A good friend offered to take me out in his boat to get it. Even with a 13’ branch trimmer and my 6’ frame I was just barely tall enough to reach it.

I’m still in shock that I was able to get it back- or that it hung around in the branches for 4 days without falling into the river. I thought for sure it was a goner! Aside from shredded props which I already replaced, all seems to be functional. I’ve not flown it yet but I did start it up and it idled just fine. Optics appear to be fully functional too.

Definitely makes me be much more appreciative of my surroundings, not to discount wind and don’t assume the gps and barometer will keep it in one place.C641CD09-0E6C-460C-B908-541AC09C4470.jpeg

Congratulations on the recovery.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Indeed great you got it back !!
Even though I wasn't able to offer any more ideas, was keenly following your plight.

Very lucky it must have been fairly quiet winds last 4 days, that usually dislodges items that get stuck.
Anyway, enjoy your 2nd chance, probably more aware now of the distances and surroundings.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Oh I could just kick myself for not being more aware of my surroundings!! I was taking footage of an old train bridge and wasn't paying attention to how close I was to some trees. Boom- she got tangled up in the branches and is currently hanging about 15 feet above the St. Croix river just outside Prescott, WI. It's even more frustrating due to the fact that I know it can probably be salvaged with little damage and I can see the **** thing but just can't get to it. The river is really high and the current is fast now, plus there's still ice on a good portion so a boat is pretty much out of the question. I'm guessing either the branches will eventually untangle themselves and the drone will drop or it will get rained on and pretty much be a lost cause. I do have my FCC ID on the side of it and my name and phone number inside the battery compartment, so if someone happens to notice it maybe I'll get a call someday.

If the river weren't so high I would normally be able to walk out to at least where the base of the tree is and somehow grab it. I really don't know what to do at this point.
Local tree "doctor"? Professional trimmer may have the gear on hand to get to it.

Well I’m happy to say I was able to recover “Mav”! A good friend offered to take me out in his boat to get it. Even with a 13’ branch trimmer and my 6’ frame I was just barely tall enough to reach it.

I’m still in shock that I was able to get it back- or that it hung around in the branches for 4 days without falling into the river. I thought for sure it was a goner! Aside from shredded props which I already replaced, all seems to be functional. I’ve not flown it yet but I did start it up and it idled just fine. Optics appear to be fully functional too.

Definitely makes me be much more appreciative of my surroundings, not to discount wind and don’t assume the gps and barometer will keep it in one place.View attachment 68214
Wow, sweet.

Oh I could just kick myself for not being more aware of my surroundings!! I was taking footage of an old train bridge and wasn't paying attention to how close I was to some trees. Boom- she got tangled up in the branches and is currently hanging about 15 feet above the St. Croix river just outside Prescott, WI. It's even more frustrating due to the fact that I know it can probably be salvaged with little damage and I can see the **** thing but just can't get to it. The river is really high and the current is fast now, plus there's still ice on a good portion so a boat is pretty much out of the question. I'm guessing either the branches will eventually untangle themselves and the drone will drop or it will get rained on and pretty much be a lost cause. I do have my FCC ID on the side of it and my name and phone number inside the battery compartment, so if someone happens to notice it maybe I'll get a call someday.

If the river weren't so high I would normally be able to walk out to at least where the base of the tree is and somehow grab it. I really don't know what to do at this point.

How about slinging a net under where it will fall - shake the tree, saw a branch etc to get it to fall. or use an anglers net on a long pole. Buy two long wood poles, one to rattle branches other with net. Must be worth it over cost to replace?

You rock!! I added coverage for $800 replacement cost at $12/year with no deductible.

I have Erie insurance for home and auto and I added specific article rider for $12/YEAR! Covered for $2000 w/ no deductible... Lost (in a lake), crashed and disentigrsted, stolen, etc... No need to return carcass or parts. My agent said that technically it was already covered under mine personal articles limit from my homeowner's. But I went ahead and got them to quote it separate and paid extra just in case because now it is named in the policy.

why not just cut the **** tree down so it falls bacck away from the river. Attach a rope with a cumalong whjen you cut the tree so you can guide how it falls.

This happened to me about two months ago along a canal in Worth, IL. At 62 I figured I had not climbed a tree in about thirty years but there I was thirty feet in the tree and rescued my MP. It was worth the chance of hurting myself but it ended well. I wish you the best on your recovery !!!!!!!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronewithdeshaun