DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID and the Mini 3 Pro

Interesting. I'll have to try that Drone Scanner app. I guess my android phone is too old. I couldn't get the app to work.

Last edited:
All DJI drones transmit RID as well as UUID (Unique User IDentification) over an open frequency and have done worldwide since 2018/19, that's how Aeroscope works. The only difference with this brand of RID is that the broadcast can be intercepted by nonproprietary receivers (domestic smartphone apps). The phrase "RID compliant" is used in reference to non-DJI drones such as Yuneec, Parrot, Skydio and Autel, all of which still transmit telemetry and positioning data from the drone to the controller on an open and known frequency: but don't transmit a readable unique user ID at the same time.

All DJI drones transmit RID as well as UUID (Unique User IDentification) over an open frequency and have done worldwide since 2018/19, that's how Aeroscope works. The only difference with this brand of RID is that the broadcast can be intercepted by nonproprietary receivers (domestic smartphone apps). The phrase "RID compliant" is used in reference to non-DJI drones such as Yuneec, Parrot, Skydio and Autel, all of which still transmit telemetry and positioning data from the drone to the controller on an open and known frequency: but don't transmit a readable unique user ID at the same time.
The "phrase" RID compliant is used in reference to DJI drones also.And whatever other brands are on the compliance list also.

The "phrase" RID compliant is used in reference to DJI drones also.And whatever other brands are on the compliance list also.
As in the comment - DJI drones already transmit full RID compliant data including your account e-mail and I.P. address. They have done so since the GO4 firmware update that shoehorned the RID screen into the MC SETTINGS tab.

Last edited:
In the UK because of the camera we still have to register the drone but dont know if RID will be activated

Interesting. I'll have to try that Drone Scanner app. I guess my android phone is too old. I couldn't get the app to work.
Is your drone registered? I couldn't see my drone on either app until I registered it. Kind of contradictory as I would think that someone who would fly illegally, drawing the attention of the FAA, wouldn't be inclined to register their drone in the first place.

Is your drone registered? I couldn't see my drone on either app until I registered it. Kind of contradictory as I would think that someone who would fly illegally, drawing the attention of the FAA, wouldn't be inclined to register their drone in the first place.
FAA Registration is divorced from being able to see the RID signal. They're aren't connected. There must have been other circumstances that prevented it from being seen before you registered it. RID doesn't know if your drone is registered or not.

I don't think it is registered as not required. My Autel is but anyway I haven't upgraded the latest firmware on the M3P that added or turned on RID.

Reactions: JDubyaM
All you have to do is power up your phone and search for WiFi signals with the drone flying nearby. Your RID will show up as a WiFi signal if its on.

I haven’t flown in a bit and have been out of the rid loop for a bit. I was all set to buy the mini 3 pro for rec until I found out it broadcasts regardless. That’s such an invasion of privacy. It was in my cart and for some reason I started looking into this topic before pulling the trigger and found out even though it’s sub 250g and even if I’m purely rec it will broadcast rid. Every person with a smartphone can see my location, uas location, and flight path) and that makes me very uncomfortable. I’m already not wanting to fly my registered recreational air2s since I found this out. So this defeats half the reason for choosing the mini 3 pro over using my air 2s on a flight. I fly responsibly but I don’t want any old person having this info. If this is the case then my hobby is pretty much over bc all new drones are going to do this regardless of size or flying purpose. Now the question is since my mini 2 doesn’t have real id will it show up on karens track a drone app? I’m going to have to test this. Was really looking forward to the mini 3 pro. I was also excited to try the RC remote and not have to deal with fiddling with my iPhone or iPad and it overheating. Although I do enjoy using the ipad mini with a sun shade.

I haven’t flown in a bit and have been out of the rid loop for a bit. I was all set to buy the mini 3 pro for rec until I found out it broadcasts regardless. That’s such an invasion of privacy. It was in my cart and for some reason I started looking into this topic before pulling the trigger and found out even though it’s sub 250g and even if I’m purely rec it will broadcast rid. Every person with a smartphone can see my location, uas location, and flight path) and that makes me very uncomfortable. I’m already not wanting to fly my registered recreational air2s since I found this out. So this defeats half the reason for choosing the mini 3 pro over using my air 2s on a flight. I fly responsibly but I don’t want any old person having this info. If this is the case then my hobby is pretty much over bc all new drones are going to do this regardless of size or flying purpose. Now the question is since my mini 2 doesn’t have real id will it show up on karens track a drone app? I’m going to have to test this. Was really looking forward to the mini 3 pro. I was also excited to try the RC remote and not have to deal with fiddling with my iPhone or iPad and it overheating. Although I do enjoy using the ipad mini with a sun shade.
There is no need for worry too much. First, not all phones will have an app. No iOS apps available. So that removes half of the cell phones already.

And second, not all Android phones will have them.

Does that mean we don’t need to worry, no, of course not. But we don’t need to overly worry either.

Once again I gotta ask those all worked up about privacy, knowing your location, etc... Do you own and carry with you everywhere a cell phone?

Thieves that want to find the pilot flying a drone have already been able to do that very easily, for a long time, because most people don't secure their cell phones, or even know how.

Reactions: MS Coast
Once again I gotta ask those all worked up about privacy, knowing your location, etc... Do you own and carry with you everywhere a cell phone?

Thieves that want to find the pilot flying a drone have already been able to do that very easily, for a long time, because most people don't secure their cell phones, or even know how.
But thieves bent on taking our drones, or the “Karens” of the world, can’t find us based on our cell phone.

RID will make that easier.

As far as privacy, if you have an aircraft in the NAS, there is no right to privacy anyway.

It’s a legitimate safety issue, but not one that’s going to be as bad as we first thought.

All you have to do is power up your phone and search for WiFi signals with the drone flying nearby. Your RID will show up as a WiFi signal if its on.
Don't think the range is going to be all that great anyway,with the signal you receive (if you will be able to receive a signal.)
No one right now knows for sure what is going to happen with basically anything.I am not worried about any of it.
if you live in an area that is classified as a small city,nothing at all will change even when RID starts up.I did get a little
off topic here,sorry.But I just do not think the signal range is going to be too fabulous with a phone to be able to pick up
a drone signal.

But thieves bent on taking our drones, [...] can’t find us based on our cell phone.

Yes they can... Do you know how to hack a Tesla and steal it? I'm guessing not. Neither does Karen.

Thieves do.

Unless you have GPS turned off and your phone in airplane mode, your position is easily obtainable. Bad guys have the tools, if they want to.

Karen doesn't, and never will.

How many drone pilots would you estimate are flying their DJI, Autel, 3DR, Skydio, etc. drone running the control app on a cell phone with GPS enabled and connected to the cell network? Almost all?

There ya go.

If tracking down drone pilots to wait around and steal their drone when it returns was so lucrative, we'd be hearing about it all the time. RID was never necessary to do that.

The fact is, the payoff just isn't there. Doesn't pass the risk/reward analysis. That time and risk is better spent stealing the Tesla 😁

Reactions: JDubyaM
There is no need for worry too much. First, not all phones will have an app. No iOS apps available. So that removes half of the cell phones already.

And second, not all Android phones will have them.

Does that mean we don’t need to worry, no, of course not. But we don’t need to overly worry either.
Yeah I caved a bought the mini 3 pro anyway to add to my fleet! I figured I always fly by the rules and no one has ever bothered me in the 6 years I have been flying. It’s just a little concerning that civilians can have access to all this data. Idk if I live in a chill area or not (probably not; it’s Long Island) maybe I’ve just been lucky the last 6 years. I will say I rarely fly in places where there are more than like 3-4 people around. Be it a small secluded beach in the hamptons, the docks or marina, or a small park even on vacation I tend not to fly with many around. Any encounters I’ve ever had were just curious folks.

Yeah I caved a bought the mini 3 pro anyway to add to my fleet! I figured I always fly by the rules and no one has ever bothered me in the 6 years I have been flying. It’s just a little concerning that civilians can have access to all this data.
Overblown. Civilians already have far more access to all sorts of much more potentially harmful data you're spewing out there in the airwaves all the time. Own and use a cell phone?

There's little worry, because capability and execution are two very different things. While the ability to snoop your phone and do mischief is there, the return on the effort is just not there, so few bother, even bad guys.

Karen won't go to the trouble.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_