DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID and the Mini 3 Pro

I’m in Canada. How do I find out if mine is on or off?

The DJI Forum is full of DJI official responses to users asking similar questions, and their answer seems to be:

Remote ID is active when:

1. The aircraft is capable of it
2. The aircraft is operated within a jurisdiction that requires it
3. The motor is on

So, I suppose it's not operating here in Canada? I've yet to see my Air 2S on Drone Scanner here.

The DJI Forum is full of DJI official responses to users asking similar questions, and their answer seems to be:

Remote ID is active when:

1. The aircraft is capable of it
2. The aircraft is operated within a jurisdiction that requires it
3. The motor is on

So, I suppose it's not operating here in Canada? I've yet to see my Air 2S on Drone Scanner here.
Is this RID just a thing in the United States?

I've heard Japan has something similar (or the same? not sure).

You can care about RID today or you can care about it tomorrow; because all civilized country will get it eventually; just a matter of time. IMO

We didn't care about it here in the US and look what it got us.... ;)

Reactions: rjwmorrell
You can care about RID today or you can care about it tomorrow; because all civilized country will get it eventually; just a matter of time. IMO

I agree, especially the way things are going. We already have a government that loves to regulate things (mind you, don't all of them?), and a number of incidents documented to support authorities being able to track drone usage.

Reactions: mavic3usa

Here is how I see it.

This RID coming into effect next month, it’s a U.S. thing. Because it’s a U.S. thing, you Yankees think it implies to everyone else cause the whole world revolves around you guys. Well, I got news for you. Your problems and issues are yours alone. Not Canada, not the EU, not Australia, not Japan, not China, etc…..the list goes on. Do you think the FAA tells TCCA what to do?

Bottom line, right now it’s a U.S. issue, I’m in Canada, therefore I ain’t gonna care. You like to think it affects me too or it will eventually, but as for now I don’t care because it’s not an issue here.

Here is how I see it.

This RID coming into effect next month, it’s a U.S. thing. Because it’s a U.S. thing, you Yankees think it implies to everyone else cause the whole world revolves around you guys. Well, I got news for you. Your problems and issues are yours alone. Not Canada, not the EU, not Australia, not Japan, not China, etc…..the list goes on. Do you think the FAA tells TCCA what to do?

Bottom line, right now it’s a U.S. issue, I’m in Canada, therefore I ain’t gonna care. You like to think it affects me too or it will eventually, but as for now I don’t care because it’s not an issue here.
No worries. 🤣

Here is how I see it.

Actually RID has been in effect since mid 2022. You can`t legally fly without it. Laws here are pretty strict.
Cant fly at night. Can`t fly over densely popluated areas, so no city flights, night time city flights.
Any drone over 100g must be registered.
So if you are a tourist coming here, you need to register online, pay the regitration fee.
Then you will need to head out to the country side, and get shots you probably didn`t want to get.

Not according to the "Karen App". Drone Scanner. I just flew my M3P and it didn't show up. My Air 2S did, but the Mini 3 Pro did not. Also my Phantom 4 Advanced with the Holy Stone RID module showed up.
So I don't think the Mini 3 Pro RID works,

Not according to the "Karen App". Drone Scanner. I just flew my M3P and it didn't show up. My Air 2S did, but the Mini 3 Pro did not. Also my Phantom 4 Advanced with the Holy Stone RID module showed up.
The FAA DoC only lists drones that have been submitted to them by the manufacturer seeking compliance. If the FAA approves, the drone model gets issued a DoC. Obtaining a DoC doesn't necessarily mean your drone is broadcasting although one would think if the FAA approves mean "you are free to continue to build and sell drones in America if you follow the DoC we just gave you."

Unfortunately the Mini 3 Pro falls into a grey area that might be open to interpretation where you are flying recreationally under 250g and therefore you don't need to broadcast RID. DJI has likely implemented a [battery] strategy that takes advantage of this "loophole."

Also just because one of the scanner apps is not picking up your broadcast doesn't necessarily mean the drone is not broadcasting. The scanner apps when combined with particular phone models are notoriously inaccurate and ineffective which detracts from them being taken seriously by the karen crowd so we may have to stop referring to them as karen apps since nobody knows (or trusts) how or if they work correctly, so nobody really uses them for what they were intended for.

One of the issues with the RID apps is their unreliability. Remember, when it comes to Standard RID, it is NOT the responsibility of the owner to make sure it's working, just that you're updated with the right firmware to have it enabled.

For Standard RID, if the drones launches, that means it went through it's check process and passed. That means it's working. It doesn't matter if it is seen on RID Apps. And if it's on an iOS app, DJI won't show up anyway. iSO doesn't allow wifi scanning, so it can't see wifi RID. It can only see BlueTooth, which basically means modules.

The FAA DoC only lists drones that have been submitted to them by the manufacturer seeking compliance. If the FAA approves, the drone model gets issued a DoC. Obtaining a DoC doesn't necessarily mean your drone is broadcasting although one would think if the FAA approves mean "you are free to continue to build and sell drones in America if you follow the DoC we just gave you."

Unfortunately the Mini 3 Pro falls into a grey area that might be open to interpretation where you are flying recreationally under 250g and therefore you don't need to broadcast RID. DJI has likely implemented a [battery] strategy that takes advantage of this "loophole."

Also just because one of the scanner apps is not picking up your broadcast doesn't necessarily mean the drone is not broadcasting. The scanner apps when combined with particular phone models are notoriously inaccurate and ineffective which detracts from them being taken seriously by the karen crowd so we may have to stop referring to them as karen apps since nobody knows (or trusts) how or if they work correctly, so nobody really uses them for what they were intended for.
The Mini 3 Pro doesn't have the RID turned off with the smaller batteries. That's just the Mini 3 and the Mini 4 Pro.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart