DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID and the Mini 3 Pro

bkushner

Reactions
I know the rules state that under 249 grams no Remote ID is required. My question is does the Mini 3 Pro transmit Remote ID whether it's required or not? In other words can someone with drone detect see the mini 3 pro?

Reactions: timc_drone
The Remote ID is activated by firmware and is permanently ON. Apparently this was an option that could be disabled via some 3rd party tools until a firmware update blocked this.
I have no idea who would have the equipment to identify the aircraft and operator location but my guess is that the equipment would be fairly expensive. I am wondering if which law enforcement agencies have this equipment!

Reactions: raymairjr
Reactions: bkushner
Remote ID on mini 3 is turned OFF in europe. It was ON with early firmwares I know because I could track mine with a phone but then dji disconnected this in europe and I can't track it anymore. In USA is probably permamently ON.

Does anyone know of an app that can scan remote id in USA? Drone Scanner from the play store doesn't pick up any bluetooth or wifi broadcasting traffic on mine.

My thought is until the local L.E. folks get inundated with calls about roaming drones that someone has issues with is when they will investigate the costs involved in tracking devices. Not only the cost for the hardware but also the costs for manpower to effect it’s use.

What if we haven't updated to the firmware that includes Remote ID? I'm a recreational flyer, standard batteries.

What if we haven't updated to the firmware that includes Remote ID? I'm a recreational flyer, standard batteries.
I assume you mean, what happens if you continue flying without broadcasting RID? If your drone doesn't need to be registered (less than 250g and you're a recreational flyer), then it doesn't need RID, so you're fine.

Reactions: Allezdada
I know the rules state that under 249 grams no Remote ID is required. My question is does the Mini 3 Pro transmit Remote ID whether it's required or not? In other words can someone with drone detect see the mini 3 pro?
Point of clarification...

Weight is just part of the equation. RID is tied to registration. The only time a <250g drones doesn't need to registered is if it's used strictly for recreational use. Since it's not required to be registered, RID isn't necessary.

If it's <250g and used under 107, it must be registered, so it must have RID.

Also, the 250g limit is actual takeoff weight. So if someone adds lights or prop guards to the drone, it's over 250g and needs to be registered and have RID.

Reactions: 13_Dragons and JTZ
Perhaps RID will only activate if you fly with the larger battery?? I've yet to update the firmware because I don't want to be broadcasting to who knows who in the future and will not comply. Mind you I fly in remote areas, never over people, 400 AGL, and usually VLOS (oops). Waiting for DJI to brick these if you don't update. Also do you need cell service when flying. All I need is the govt to check if I have Tik Tok on my phone. Tired of this paranoid country/govt.

Perhaps RID will only activate if you fly with the larger battery?? I've yet to update the firmware because I don't want to be broadcasting to who knows who in the future and will not comply. Mind you I fly in remote areas, never over people, 400 AGL, and usually VLOS (oops). Waiting for DJI to brick these if you don't update. Also do you need cell service when flying. All I need is the govt to check if I have Tik Tok on my phone. Tired of this paranoid country/govt.
No, battery size doesn't matter. If you're running the latest software, RID is active.

Reactions: Wreckhunter and JTZ
I assume you mean, what happens if you continue flying without broadcasting RID? If your drone doesn't need to be registered (less than 250g and you're a recreational flyer), then it doesn't need RID, so you're fine.
I am recreational and under 250g, so hopefully I'll be able to continue flying without RID. Thanks.

I just came across Pilot Institute video on Remote ID. I ordered the M3P on launch day, and I don't think mine is compliant. I upgraded the firmware. I don't think my serial number is in the list. Anyone else?
While I don't think RID is required for under 250 gm. drones, I did register mine and I think that makes RID required.

Thoughts?

Whazzap.

Here is the ruling

So all pilots that are required to registered must have remote ID. This means, all drones over 249g regardless of your use case. And all drones which are used for business or non recreational use, regardless of weight.

So the only drones that do not require RID are drones of 249g or less which are used for strictly recreational use. This means these same drones also do not need to be registered.

Since you registered your drone, the assumption is because you are required to do so and if so then you also must be RID compliant.

While I don't think RID is required for under 250 gm. drones, I did register mine and I think that makes RID required.

Thoughts?

My thought is until the local L.E. folks get inundated with calls about roaming drones that someone has issues with is when they will investigate the costs involved in tracking devices. Not only the cost for the hardware but also the costs for manpower to effect it’s use.
The hardware will be the officers or anybody else's cel phone. I forget the name but there is already an app to track but it's Bluetooth so they'll have to be pretty close to receive signal (it's the guy standing right next to you, might as well introduce yourself). GOOD LUCK PILOTS

Perhaps RID will only activate if you fly with the larger battery??
Very interesting question. To clarify further, my understanding is if RID is installed in your software, then it will be broadcasting, regardless of flight mode or intent as I don't believe it can be disabled. My question would be, is the software sophisticated enough to include data as to the battery used? Big brotherish paranoia I know, but I guess if a sharp (extremely bored) LEO watched your flight data and saw your flight time exceed the advertised 34 minutes of a standard battery time and figured you had the 47 minute battery on board, then ( still being extremely bored) the LEO could ask for your registration as then the drone would then be > 250 gr.?

Updating my above post with some real world experience. When I first started flying my Mini 3 Pro (unregistered) recreationally, I tried to see if the Drone Tag or Drone Scanner apps would display the remote ID information, but neither did.
Fast forward to now, I have my Part 107 and have registered my drone and retried the above test. I flew the drone to 200' AGL above the helipad and had my son, using both apps attempt to " see" my drone. The Drone Tag app never saw my drone, but the Drone Scanner app did while within 50' of the helipad. He moved to a point about 500' away and he was still receiving the RID information. When he moved to about 1000' away, he wasn't receiving updated information so I climbed to 300' AGL, but it still wasn't receiving the RID updates.
My conclusion to this very unscientific test is the range of RID data transmission is very limited and I tend to agree with the analogy " if you aren't within VLOS, you probably won't be able to retrieve RID data".

I'd be interested in others experiences because if my results are the norm, then I won't be as concerned about my location being broadcast very far.

Reactions: tuxon64
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Captainhook