DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID and the Mini 3 Pro

Overblown. Civilians already have far more access to all sorts of much more potentially harmful data you're spewing out there in the airwaves all the time. Own and use a cell phone?

There's little worry, because capability and execution are two very different things. While the ability to snoop your phone and do mischief is there, the return on the effort is just not there, so few bother, even bad guys.

Karen won't go to the trouble.
Well, I hope you are right. Just so we know, was that your defense to moving forward with deploying RID in it's current form: Sure, it might be undesirable and harmful and not necessarily the best idea but there are bigger issues out there and we don't believe any bad actors will take advantage of the situation. Is this accurate?

I know the rules state that under 249 grams no Remote ID is required. My question is does the Mini 3 Pro transmit Remote ID whether it's required or not? In other words can someone with drone detect see the mini 3 pro?
My understanding is YES, the Mini 3 Pro has RID and it is active. Now if you need it or not is another question. Since I am a 107 pilot and use my Mini 3 Pro to make money, it's registered with the FAA and has its own Reg. Number and has to broadcast RID. After Sept 16th 2023 "ALL" UAV's will have to be registered <(250 grams or not.) That's what the FPV people are b*tching about.

After Sept 16th 2023 "ALL" UAV's will have to be registered <(250 grams or not.)
Don't know what this means since I'm not good at decoding the symbols. But here's what I think I know:

After September 16, 2023, drones that weigh less than 250g and used strictly for recreational purpose will not be required to register with the FAA and will not be required to broadcast RID regardless where they are flying.

Is that what you meant?

Well, I hope you are right. Just so we know, was that your defense to moving forward with deploying RID in it's current form: Sure, it might be undesirable and harmful and not necessarily the best idea but there are bigger issues out there and we don't believe any bad actors will take advantage of the situation. Is this accurate?
RID is nothing new. DJI drones have been transmitting the same information via DJI Aeroscope technology for a long time. It's been hacked and reverse engineered years ago.

Most consumer drones in US airspace are DJI drones.

If it was worth their effort, thieves would have been using Aeroscope to steal them. For years. Yet, there has been no problem with this. None at all. Why?

Go over to eBay and check out used DJI drone prices. It simply isn't lucrative enough to justify risking punishment to rob another person for their Mini 2. Or Air 2S. or Mavic 3.

Thieves are looking for a shipping pallet of new drones in retail packaging to steal, and then sell for $20,000.

Reactions: Flyingdogpoop
RID is nothing new. DJI drones have been transmitting the same information via DJI Aeroscope technology for a long time. It's been hacked and reverse engineered years ago.

Most consumer drones in US airspace are DJI drones.

If it was worth their effort, thieves would have been using Aeroscope to steal them. For years. Yet, there has been no problem with this. None at all. Why?

Go over to eBay and check out used DJI drone prices. It simply isn't lucrative enough to justify risking punishment to rob another person for their Mini 2. Or Air 2S. or Mavic 3.

Thieves are looking for a shipping pallet of new drones in retail packaging to steal, and then sell for $20,000.
Are you seriously asking why don't thieves currently use Aeroscope to steal drones? And if they don't use Aeroscope, they won't be using RID either? 🫤

I agree the entire situation is a bit overblown but I'm not totally discounting it either. We have face similar challenges before and it seems like the same argument is being used.

Don't know what this means since I'm not good at decoding the symbols. But here's what I think I know:

After September 16, 2023, drones that weigh less than 250g and used strictly for recreational purpose will not be required to register with the FAA and will not be required to broadcast RID regardless where they are flying.

Is that what you meant?
You have to register all drones. If you're a recreational flyer, you can use the same number on all your recreational drones. Look at the FAA's Drone Zone page.

You have to register all drones. If you're a recreational flyer, you can use the same number on all your recreational drones. Look at the FAA's Drone Zone page.
I have to ask because the rules are constantly changing and I often miss the changes. This is what I see on the recreational page, are you seeing something different?

Before you fly your drone​

Note: If your drone weighs more than .55 pounds (lbs), you must register your drone through the FAA's Drone Zone.

I have to ask because the rules are constantly changing and I often miss the changes. This is what I see on the recreational page, are you seeing something different?

Before you fly your drone​

Note: If your drone weighs more than .55 pounds (lbs), you must register your drone through the FAA's Drone Zone.
I register all my drones as a CYA (Cover Your A$$) thing. And your right, the FAA changes the rules daily, I think we're at "All UAV's must be Registered" Stage. Of course this can change tomorrow.

I register all my drones as a CYA (Cover Your A$$) thing. And your right, the FAA changes the rules daily, I think we're at "All UAV's must be Registered" Stage. Of course this can change tomorrow.
I just registered my Mini 2 yesterday because 1) I'm already registered as a recreational drone pilot and we're going to have to eventually enter our data anyway so there's nothing to gain or nothing to hide and 2) I put strobes lights on my Mini 2 sometimes and 3) My Mini 2 has a registration sticker on it already and 4) I had to add at least one drone to my registration in order to renew for another few years and 5) By adding my Mini registration today, I hope I will not have to add remote ID serial number from a broadcast module after September.

eta: For clarification, I didn't have to do this. There is no FAA rule or regulation that I am aware of that says I need to ever register my sub-250g recreational drone at any point.

Last edited:
What rules has the FAA changed frequently?
Well, at first there wasn't going to be Registration for under 0.55 drones. Now there is. It's typical, "We're from the Government, and here to help" :)

I just registered my Mini 2 yesterday because 1) I'm already registered as a recreational drone pilot and we're going to have to eventually enter our data anyway so there's nothing to gain or nothing to hide and 2) I put strobes lights on my Mini 2 sometimes and 3) My Mini 2 has a registration sticker on it already and 4) I had to add at least one drone to my registration in order to renew for another few years and 5) By adding my Mini registration today, I hope I will not have to add remote ID serial number from a broadcast module after September.

eta: For clarification, I didn't have to do this. There is no FAA rule or regulation that I am aware of that says I need to ever register my sub-250g recreational drone at any point.
If your sub 250g drone is a mini 3 pro,registration or not ,it does not matter as it is broadcasting RID anyway.

If your sub 250g drone is a mini 3 pro,registration or not ,it does not matter as it is broadcasting RID anyway.
Only with the latest sw version so I know a lot of folks who refused to upgrade so they wouldn't be forced to take the RID sw. I'm ok with both my Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro with RID, doesn't bother me.

Which leads me to another question which could be confusing for some (but I think I know the answer): If your recreational sub-250 drone is equipped with standard RID (ala latest Mini 3 Pro), are you required to FAA register? My answer would be No.

Well, at first there wasn't going to be Registration for under 0.55 drones. Now there is. It's typical, "We're from the Government, and here to help" :)

Can you point me to a reference that says that drones weighing less than 0.55 pounds (250 grams) will need to be registered? The FAA doesn't mention it on what seems to be the page where it would appear.

And your right, the FAA changes the rules daily,

Just that one example?

Only with the latest sw version so I know a lot of folks who refused to upgrade so they wouldn't be forced to take the RID sw. I'm ok with both my Mini 2 and Mini 3 Pro with RID, doesn't bother me.

Which leads me to another question which could be confusing for some (but I think I know the answer): If your recreational sub-250 drone is equipped with standard RID (ala latest Mini 3 Pro), are you required to FAA register? My answer would be No.
My answer would also be no.

Is that what you meant?
If you're registered as a third party developer and read through the latest MSDK release notes, I think you'll find that RID is already active globally and there are refinements in UUID/flight data transmission for both the mav 3 lineup AND the mini 3/3 PRO. Straight from the DJI horses mouth.

If you're registered as a third party developer and read through the latest MSDK release notes, I think you'll find that RID is already active globally and there are refinements in UUID/flight data transmission for both the mav 3 lineup AND the mini 3/3 PRO. Straight from the DJI horses mouth.
Just asking what is required and what isn't required by the FAA; not asking what is actually happening on the ground.

IOW, the drone might be broadcasting but the FAA rules are not requiring it to broadcast, for example.

The answer was in reference to the sub-250's being exempt. They're not.
EDITED 7/21/23

Exempt from RID? Seems that they are. I see nothing from the FAA adding a requirement for registration of sub-250 gram drones. There's no registration requirement for sub-250 gram drones flown recreationally.] And RID applies only to drones that must be registered.

Here's DJI's take on the issue. See item 2.2.

Last edited:
Are you seriously asking why don't thieves currently use Aeroscope to steal drones? And if they don't use Aeroscope, they won't be using RID either? 🫤

Well yes, I seriously am.

Aeroscope was hacked ages ago. You can build a reciever with an arduino, or a raspberry pi or something like that. Are you seriously unaware that there are thieves with engineering skills?

The reason thieves don't steal drones from pilots while flying them is very simple: It's not worth it. How do they get the drone from the pilot? They have to commit a felony, either assaulting them, or threatening to. Very serious risk for a few hundred dollars.

Thats why we have no stories of these sorts of incidents. Any thief that wants to steal a drone from a pilot can do so easily. There are plenty of easily found pilots in flight right now. RID isn't going to change that.

I agree the entire situation is a bit overblown but I'm not totally discounting it either. We have face similar challenges before and it seems like the same argument is being used.

I'll happily change my view when the avalanche of assaults and robberies start rolling in. Are you similarly ready to when they don't?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_