DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote landing on a high-rise roof top

izometric

Reactions
Has anyone ever tried to land on a building roof top, being at a large distance, at a lower vantage point, so no direct line of sight to the drone? Were you able to take off again? Any points of attention in doing that?

Has anyone ever tried to land on a building roof top, being at a large distance, at a lower vantage point, so no direct line of sight to the drone? Were you able to take off again? Any points of attention in doing that?
If you try to land and the drone loses signal as it lands, it will initiate RTH.
If you manage to land it are you going to have access to the roof to recover the drone?

Reactions: michaeldallen1
I landed accidentally on a hotel with my mavic pro. It lost video because sometimes the mavic pro did that. When I got the video back, I saw I was on a roof top, flat, fortunately. I just took off and came home.

Were you able to take off again?

Keep in mind that the new Home Point will be on the roof when you launch.

If RTH is initiated, it's going to the roof unless you manually change the HP back to your location.

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I'm actually counting on that :)

Do you have permission to land on the roof top?
It might well be trespass if you do not and if you do succeed in landing and can not restart the motors remotely you WILL need permission to access the roof.
Remember any objects that prevent a propeller from turning will stop a motor start, FULL STOP, as will excessive tilt of the drone.

Aside from that, setting the Failsafe option to land/descend is no guarantee that the drone will land. It may reject the landing site and will then hover until the low battery RTH kicks in.
Even if the home point is set to the roof top prior to an attempted landing the drone can still reject the landing site and hover. Depending on the drone it will continue hover until the battery reaches very low levels before it does land.

With a mini 2 I recollect the battery reached 0 % before the drone began the descent to touch down/landing.

Above the roof of high rise building the drone will most likely be subject to wind and, as the battery percentage drains, the drone will be less able to fight the wind. That may result in the drone being blown into stuff on the roof or being blown away from the roof entirely.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, what are you trying to accomplish by doing so?

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Not at all saying this is what the OP is implying but people are starting to figure out that drones aren't just useful for delivering contraband into a prison. Think about it, private property to private property without have to go out into the public and be subjected to a stop. Certainly not on the top of a building. Flights under the cover of darkness using waypoints. With mobile phones and text messaging between parties, it's a no brainer. Yep, just leave a battery and charger at the other location and have them change it and you can fly it back; double your range. ;)

If you want to smuggle something, you don't really need to land the drone. Aliexpress is full of drone dropping devices.

Also, landing and then taking off again is not possible in the absence of connection between drone and controller. So out of range waypoints and reserve battery and charger at the out of range (remote) location, not applicable.

So no, not planning to smuggle anything.

But bring it on, if not real life experiences, then juicy scenarios are also quite entertaining :)

Reactions: mavic3usa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brokerman