DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Repair inquiry - flight log analysis charge?

paazel

Reactions
Hey all: Been flying my Mavic Pro for a year now, and it's been great! Seen some amazing things, gotten pretty good with the camera, flying skills could still use some work though.... as I recently was using a dronie mode and crashed the drone. I tried to cancel the dronie, but for whatever reason it didn't cancel and well... crashed the drone while it was flying backward onto the roof of a house (luckily no damage to home), and it fell to the ground. The left arm was a bit dislocated, front two propellers chipped, and some scratches. The drone would take off, but for the life of me, I couldn't get the gimbal to calibrate.

Filled out the repair form, got a return slip and sent it off (I was hoping to get the drone back before LDW, but alas no luck). DJI has been crazy efficient! The drone arrived yesterday, today they sent the estimate, I quickly made payment, and they are repairing at as we speak.

At this point, I decided to call DJI; I mentioned the problem I had where dronie would not exit, and thought this was worth looking into on their end. The rep showed me how to sync flight logs, and I did. He then said for them to review, it would be an additional $65 charge. This rubbed me the wrong way, as I've already made payment and just asking them to explain what went wrong. Am I out of line or is this just par for the course with DJI?

No I don't think your out of line at all. Don't pay it have them send your repaired drone back. Post your Dat and tex logs here and some one will tell you what happened

Reactions: Drone Master
And for free!
You can Upload your Flight log here. Flight Log Viewer , then post the link back here for us to evaluate.

Reactions: DDS and Bigbird48
if I had to guess they are not sending the same drone u sent in. rather a refurb (fine by me as they work and are very clean..looks brand new)

they outsource most of the broken drone repairs to china as labor is not what it costs stateside also the factory is open 24/7 with 2 12hr shifts. Once fixed they than come back to western civilization as a "refurb"

this is just an assumption based on our clients past experiences w/ dji. let us know what u get back.

if I had to guess they are not sending the same drone u sent in. rather a refurb (fine by me as they work and are very clean..looks brand new)

they outsource most of the broken drone repairs to china as labor is not what it costs stateside also the factory is open 24/7 with 2 12hr shifts. Once fixed they than come back to western civilization as a "refurb"

this is just an assumption based on our clients past experiences w/ dji. let us know what u get back.
I suspect you are making a poor assumption.

In Australia DJI will agree to repairs to being progressed by approved facilities however with the establishment of their own repair centre most work does get sent there. The drones are fixed there- not sent back to china. I know from first hand experience. And we are closer to China than you are.

Last edited:
My drone was fixed right here in AZ yes I got a refurb back but they fixed mine here and put it on the shelf for the next guy

Reactions: Thomas B
I sent my drone to Texas, they sent a list of parts they were replacing and it's on it's way back, I wonder if they fixed it or swapped it... Will keep you guys posted!

I sent my drone to Texas, they sent a list of parts they were replacing and it's on it's way back, I wonder if they fixed it or swapped it... Will keep you guys posted!
It will be a swap. Based upon my experience and lengthy negotiations with DJI over my repair of a M2P camera over 2 months, the repair estimate is what they are charging you to replace your damaged aircraft with a Refurb. I was told they do not repair aircraft. Refurbs are brand new replacement aircraft from the same factory, excluding the retail box and all accessories, in the plain black cardboard inner box. YMMV.

Reactions: Thomas B
Ever asked a garage to put your car on to their diagnostic equipment to see what went wrong? That will be an hours labour, about £65 at a main dealer, thank you very much.
The drone business is no different to any other, it needs to be paid for. You break it, you pay for it, via refresh (insurance) or straight from your pocket.

Unfortunately it is difficult to diagnose intelligent flight modes from the txt log.

comp.png

It switched to Dronie mode at 285 s and started moving backwards as shown by the red and green traces (to the NW), as expected. You took it out of that mode and back to P-GPS 8 seconds later at 293 seconds, but too late to avoid collision. I'm not really seeing an aircraft malfunction here.

It switched to Dronie mode at 285 s and started moving backwards as shown by the red and green traces (to the NW), as expected. You took it out of that mode and back to P-GPS 8 seconds later at 293 seconds, but too late to avoid collision. I'm not really seeing an aircraft malfunction here.

Thank you for the analysis! I've been able to switch out of dronie pretty easily in the past, but as it the incident happened so fast it's hard to know exactly what went wrong. I assumed I messed up that's why I paid for the repair, I just wanted to be sure that there wasn't a controller issue!

I received a replacement drone as well. Does this mean I need to re-register it with the FAA?

I received a replacement drone as well. Does this mean I need to re-register it with the FAA?
Nope the registration is for the pilot just label the drone
This supports my conspiracy theory that dji does not fix drones stateside if labor is more than an hr. Makes sense as the avg factory worker in China makes $275 per month putting in 60 hr work weeks! it would be extremely lucrative to resell that same labor @ $60 per hr

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98