DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Report Your Over Water Failure

Have you calculated what effect those floats have on flight characteristics?
It's very hard to find anyone that can/will give numbers.
Sorry nothing calculated or recorded... because no warnings or perceived problems. However, I currently have a set for my MPP and I haven’t noticed any changes in flight characteristics except minimal change in max speed (reduced slightly) if the pontoons are on and don’t notice decreased per battery flight time. With just the LG, floats removed, I don’t notice any changes in flight characteristics. I don’t fly in high wind with them which could be an issue.
I expect the same from the new design for my M2P when I finally get them.

Sorry nothing calculated or recorded... because no warnings or perceived problems. However, I currently have a set for my MPP and I haven’t noticed any changes in flight characteristics except minimal change in max speed (reduced slightly) if the pontoons are on and don’t notice decreased per battery flight time. With just the LG, floats removed, I don’t notice any changes in flight characteristics. I don’t fly in high wind with them which could be an issue.
I expect the same from the new design for my M2P when I finally get them.

If someone would like to post flight logs with and without these things then it's easy enough to calculate the drag.

Reactions: Thomas B
Not that it helps ease your concern, but as you can see many of us fly over water & quite low at times without any issues. The floats sound like a good investment for your peace of mind if nothing else. I personally don't use them, but perhaps I should, just in case. With regard to turning off the bottom sensors because they are confused by the reflective surface, how do the ultrasonic sensors come into play then? Wouldn't a more reflective surface be better for them? Also, as others have mentioned, what of the barometer? It should also determine height, albeit not as reliable as the sensors I imagine.

Victorian Aerial Vision Videos

Not that it helps ease your concern, but as you can see many of us fly over water & quite low at times without any issues. The floats sound like a good investment for your peace of mind if nothing else. I personally don't use them, but perhaps I should, just in case....
I have DJICare and they would make recovery easier in a worst case. Don’t do a lot of water landings in AZ ;) But I do travel.

what of the barometer? It should also determine height, albeit not as reliable as the sensors I imagine.
The barometer will only show a height relative to the launch point and should remain unaffected by the drone's proximity to the water surface.
It also won't be much use in preventing a splash.

Reactions: Thomas B
I'm reading a lot of posts about people losing control of their drone when flying over water in some cases even losing their drone after crashing in the water. This is of particular importance to me since I plan to fly over ocean water often and would like to close somewhat low level passes on my friends surfing.

If this has happened to you, would you mind describing the flight situation and how you were able to recover if at all? In particular:

1) Flight mode and drone attitude during the failure.
2) Altitude above the water and characteristics of the water (choppy ocean, smooth lake, running river etc.).
3) Immediate weather environment (clear, foggy, drizzly, snowing, windy, calm, etc.)
4) Description of the equipment failure itself.

Thanks and hopefully others can find this helpful as well.

Flew about 75-100ft off the ocean today. Oahu north shore. Heavy surf so there was no transparency. Had 4 successful flights. At 450 feet and flying west I was even warned that I was nearing Dillingham Airfield controlled airspace.

Those floats look like they would cut your drone's speed in half, reduce your flight time and make a big increase in sail area to kill the drone's ability to fight any wind.
Do you have any numbers to show their effect on flight?
They look fine for landing in a small pond but horrible for flying.
I'd think they would be more likely to contribute to losing the drone than enhancing flight safety.
The floats have only 82 grams, flying in "normal" wind-conditions (for me : max. 30km/h) there is no problem at all...
you can go full-throttle - no problem....
but i did not testet in "Sport-mode" , maybe also no problem
look at my video, did a lot af water-landings in the sea and lakes...
i love them , not only because of better feeling, you can take fantastic-video footage to...

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2019-03-26-08h13m35s470.png
    vlcsnap-2019-03-26-08h13m35s470.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
my floats reduced flighttime to about 22-23min - and thats really ok for better feeling and video footage
full-throttle no problem even at higher wind (max. 30km/h)
S-Mode i did not try...- what for ?1.jpg

The floats have only 82 grams, flying in "normal" wind-conditions (for me : max. 30km/h) there is no problem at all...
you can go full-throttle - no problem....
What's full speed with the floats on?

Last edited:
Some great info and stories here. Even living in AZ I worry about water. Also like more ground clearance for my drone, tall grass, rocky ground, etc. Invested in 2 things:
pricey, but cheaper than a drone or the DJICare fee.
And just in case, since my DJICare demands the return of the hulk...
View attachment 67269
I have the setup on my MPP now. Only use the getterback if I’m over deep or swift running water... but nothing is 100%.

Can you post a a pic of how you have it attached to the MPP?

Sorry for not quoting. Was trying to point out that altitude should read relative to take off point which is zero altitude. Below that, like if it descends in a canyon, altitude should read a negative number.
Seems like there was a lot of fluctuation going on from your description.
I am finally understanding now why the barometer of my MP very often turns into negativ numbers all suddenly: It is flying down! That surely is the reason why I only can see mostly fog in my clips because everyone knows the atmosphere is denser as more as you go down so fog is build up...
see yourself, it was turning into negativ numbers...

:rolleyes::D

Last edited:
I am finally understanding now why the barometer of my MP very often turns into negativ numbers all suddenly: It is flying down! That surely is the reason why I only can see mostly fog in my clips because everyone knows the atmosphere is denser as more as you go down so fog is build up...

where are the numbers...... ? ........and is how is your post related to this thread....?

:rolleyes:
where are the numbers...... ? ........and is how is your post related to this thread....?
For the negative numbers i will send some photos.
Why this comment is related to the thread? Oh, I think you will get it when you read all the thread

Hey wiener,
never seen this on your screen? You have to fly downwards when in Austria and upwards when in Australia! You see this number at the H?

Last edited:

..i have never been that low ; ) ......., very strange.
that must be a software-problem...

On March 9, I lost my MAVIC PRO 1. It is also under a bridge. The link of the video you recorded on your mobile phone. After driving through a river, recording some small waterfalls, I passed by a Roman bridge, where I was piloting. It was afternoon, the sun had gone soon, but it was still reflected in the river. I have not passed yet, but I was very slow, I stopped and went under, perfectly focused on the arch of the bridge and in the second pair the ascent (alone, untouched) to the left until the Chocó with the stone of the bridge and Directed to the water. . I have not returned to see. An attempt has been made to search for the DJI GO 4 record, but not in the folder that is available. I would like to send a DJI the log and the video. Do you know which address of DJI is to send the record and the video? thank you

I have posted this once before on another forum, but I thought I would emphasize a few things. I fly over quite a bit of water on the east coast of the US. To be safe I bought a pair of red pontoon water landing gear. If you look on eBay you will find several shown for around $15. Be ware: the pair with only one set of attachment clips were where I had my trouble. Many are shown with 4 attachment points but only have 2 clips. Do not buy these. There are some shown with 4 attachment points and with 4 clips. Unfortunately, I did not buy these, they are about $22. The problem is when my drone, Mavic Pro, landed in a small pond, the weight distribution was incorrect and it did a nose dive and turned upside down.
It was in the water about 20 seconds, but that was enough time to kill the battery and some water intrusion into the drone body.
I took it apart, both shells, used a hair dryer and also put it into a bag of rice for 2 days. When I tried to start it up, it ran for a few minutes, but showed some abnormalities in the software. I contacted DJI Customer Service and , of course, they said send it to repair services.
When repair service got it they tried to sell me a new one because they didn't work on water intrusion; the customer service rep could have told me that.
But the good news, when I got my drone back, I tried to start it up and it worked. I think the extra days away allowed it to completely dry out and I have flown it many times since with no issues. Who knew?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c