DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Area Error

rxgeek

Reactions
I get a NFZ notification between 4-5 miles from the Ohio State University Airport. The tower gave me a letter stating their zone only extends for 4 miles. I filled out an online unlock request weeks ago and never got a reply. Ideally, I desire a permanent unlock. How do i apply for this?

I get a NFZ notification between 4-5 miles from the Ohio State University Airport. The tower gave me a letter stating their zone only extends for 4 miles. I filled out an online unlock request weeks ago and never got a reply. Ideally, I desire a permanent unlock. How do i apply for this?
Try FAA DroneZone. If it’s a LAANC participating airport you can get a 30 day clearance that is renewable.

Looks like fun....

DJI geofence is independent of any FAA clearance. Getting LAANC approval will not unlock the DJI imposed NFZ. To be legal you need to do so, but that isn't the issue here.

I emailed DJI support and got a response in 2 minutes. Uploaded my documentation and received the unlocking. "Please kindly note you can fly the drone in blue authorization zone with the unlocking license but not in red authorization zone." I'm very impressed with the fast resolution from DJI.

Reactions: Thomas B
Also note that, if you want it for a particular area which you define, you can obtain a signed COA through FAA’s DroneZone that grants permission for 2 years. I didn’t know until I sent a renewal request on a thirty day approval I had for my practice area (4 square miles). They contacted me via email to see if I wanted the 2 year COA.

It had been possible to self unlock in blue areas, all that was required was internet and (means of receiving text or valid credit card). Parentheses used to emphasize or over and in the sentence logic.

It was the red zones that you needed written documents from FAA to unlock, so I had understood.

However to self-unlock a blue area, you'd have to do so each flight so getting an unlock code would avoid that.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andrefu