DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Restricted Operations?

Tonkin Gulf

Reactions
Sad to see the collapsed condo at Surfside. I have seen different drone footage of the disaster. Yet I notice it is the center of a ("Restricted Operations", Current advisories restrict flight operations in this area.) Am I missing something here? I don't think this will be helpful for the drone enthusiast.

Temporary flight restrictions (TFRs) are routine for natural/man-made disasters or anywhere there is a large operation of first responders. Potential interference with life-and-death emergency operations trumps rec and non-rec piloting. On something of this scale there may be authorization coming to specific news flights, drone and helicopter, from a command center. Or maybe they’re sharing pool footage. The emergency operations leaders have local air traffic control.

In our area wildfires (nationwide?) emergency response aircraft have to ground immediately if a drone is spotted in the area.

Reactions: Tonkin Gulf
Sad to see the collapsed condo at Surfside. I have seen different drone footage of the disaster. Yet I notice it is the center of a ("Restricted Operations", Current advisories restrict flight operations in this area.) Am I missing something here? I don't think this will be helpful for the drone enthusiast.
I am only surmising that drone footage was permitted for news or rescue operations only. Why would any recreational pilot even want to interfere with this? I live within driving distance probably 40 minutes from Surfside and I would not even think of venturing near that area for now.

After our monster Hurricane Andrew Aug 16,1992 people started driving around doing gawking tours at destroyed homes and neighborhoods. It was ghoulish. (there were no drones at that time of history).

Reactions: Tonkin Gulf
I am only surmising that drone footage was permitted for news or rescue operations only. Why would any recreational pilot even want to interfere with this? I live within driving distance probably 40 minutes from Surfside and I would not even think of venturing near that area for now.

After our monster Hurricane Andrew Aug 16,1992 people started driving around doing gawking tours at destroyed homes and neighborhoods. It was ghoulish. (there were no drones at that time of history).
Yes, I remember Cat 5 Hurricane Andrew 8/24/92, it wiped out my home, which took me 2 years to rebuild.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
googleplazadorn